Continental Shift Workers?

Options
Hi :)

I work in the healthcare field which, as we know, is a 24/7 business. I've been on maternity leave since Nov/11 and will be returning to work next month. I work a rotating day/night continental schedule and I'm trying to plan ahead, in my head, how I will adjust to the grueling schedule yet again ... this time with a baby at home and fitness on my mind.

For those of you who do it, how do you do it?
Do you work out daily? Do you only work out on your off days?
Do you plan your meals ahead?

I've got an idea for a plan of attack, but I'd love to hear from others who are in the same, or a similar position.

Thanks! xx

Replies

• r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by Continental shift work but can imagine it's grueling. I have 2 jobs and have class 3 days a week so it's hard for me to fit in workouts due to both time and exhaustion so I'm curious what others suggest with crazy schedules as well.
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    workcalupdate.png

I've tried, but I can't make the image smaller so it's all visible.
    This is how my schedule would look:
    - blue = nights (7p to 7a)
    - pink = days (7a to 7p)
    - white = off

For a day shift, for example, I wake between 515a & 530a and leave the house by 615a. I arrive back home between 720p &730p, and will attempt to have the baby in bed between 830p & 900p, and myself in bed by 10p.

Hope that helps a bit with an explanation :)
  • r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My dad used to work those shifts and it nearly killed him. Why do they do that to people? What good does it do to keep you exhausted all the time when people's lives are in your hands?
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    We actually live in the same province. I am also in the health care field and shift work is my life. When I work all I do is walk and my job is very demanding physically. You are very smart to pre plan ahead to adjust to your new routine.

1. How do I do it...it is always a struggle. I pack a lunch/dinner/snacks with me and I even prelog them. This helps BIG TIME!

2. I do not excercise daily. I give myself a break at least twice a week..however, I take every opportunity I can to get some added calories burned....On your day off..take your baby to the park and pushing your little one on the swing for 15 min..has to burn something...or walking..that has to help too :)

3. I prelog my meals and even excercise so I know what I WANT to do...I alter this all the time of course. I find when I prelog my food and what I would like to eat...helps with my grocery list. :)

I hope this helps a little at least....Best of luck to you and your goals.
  • foraubs
    Options
    My dad used to work those shifts and it nearly killed him. Why do they do that to people? What good does it do to keep you exhausted all the time when people's lives are in your hands?

I can't speak for his line of work, but I think in my field it's because with the magnitude and severity of what we deal with, working 9-5, Mon-Fri would be too much "in office" time .. by working longer shifts, less days, I think it's meant to save sanity.

I know it will come with time and patience, but I'm slightly anxious about finding a routine that will work for us while not jeopardizing the progress I've made so far. I'm sure you can relate :)
  • foraubs
    Options
    Thanks for weighing in .. I knew there was more of us out there!
    I pack a lunch/dinner/snacks with me and I even prelog them. This helps BIG TIME!
    I have notoriously brought my own meals to work because I never know if I'm going to get a moment to attain one elsewhere. This should be an easy transition. The logging, however, I can see being challenging. I can't grab my phone every 4 hours like I can at home and log, adjust, etc. And I log my meals in 4 hour increments as opposed to "breakfast, lunch" etc. so I can see where/when I am most hungry or where I am most likely to binge. Maybe I can meet in the middle and pre-log, and if I get a moment, adjust it then?
  • 40ishloser12
    40ishloser12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    my job schedule will change soon to night shift and I confused as to when the best time to eat and exercise as well
  • phyllio77
    Options
    Thanks for weighing in .. I knew there was more of us out there!
    I pack a lunch/dinner/snacks with me and I even prelog them. This helps BIG TIME!
    I have notoriously brought my own meals to work because I never know if I'm going to get a moment to attain one elsewhere. This should be an easy transition. The logging, however, I can see being challenging. I can't grab my phone every 4 hours like I can at home and log, adjust, etc. And I log my meals in 4 hour increments as opposed to "breakfast, lunch" etc. so I can see where/when I am most hungry or where I am most likely to binge. Maybe I can meet in the middle and pre-log, and if I get a moment, adjust it then?

Bring your own goodies to work helps with your choices when treats are presented or you are starving. I also eat simular to how you do. I have 6 sections to my diary to add meals or snacks. I really refer to them as 6 mini meals.

I always adjust at the end of the day and I have only ever been over in calories a few times where I did not expect it...but not by much...those days were also days I did not excercise or have high cardio calorie burns.

I am sure you will figure you what will work for you as it comes. And adjust as you see fit. You are on the right track:)
  • phyllio77
    Options
    my job schedule will change soon to night shift and I confused as to when the best time to eat and exercise as well

This is a good question. When I worked my last overnight shift I did two sessions of Yoga 22min each in our Chapel. I laid a blanket down for the floor stuff...It actually kept me awake. I have even thought the next time I will bring my skipping rope and jump rope for 5 min or more. Working nights is hard on your body and when you figure out a routine that works for you I'd be interested in you sharing it if you feel comfortable. Shift workers will unite! :)
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I work night shift 9 pm till 7 am, 7 days on 7 days off. Eating is always a strugle. Most of the time I will eat with my husband when I get up, this ends up being my biggest/most calorie meal of the day. I try and eat every 3-4 hours to help keep me from having a energy crash. Then I eat my cereal when I get home in the morning.
    I have always strugled with working out. By the time I am done with work I have no energy and just want to eat and go to bed. I did have a lot of luck going to a Zumba class twice a week with a group of friends. Because my second job has required me to work more hours I haven't gone to Zumba, I think sleep is way more important.