IS this the magic number? No more guessing???

Options
While sitting in the dentists office today, I read the 'Health' magazine *100 best diet tips* and saw a tip. Take your weight and add a "0" that is how many calories a day you should be eating, IF you live a moderately active lifestyle, to lose weight... (Example: If you weigh 160- you should be eating 1600 calories a day) What do you think??

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    what no! that would mean i should be eating 1050 calories per day.. insanity!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    1600-1800 is a good start for most...
    =D
    I prescribe 1600-1800 to almost anyone 5'2" and up and take into account activity.
    The higher the activity the higher the number.

Do your numbers here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Bikini_Beast
    Options
    no
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Good god - that's way over my calories. I'd probably gain 20 lbs by the end of the year w/that plan.
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    so when i do my weight in kgs ! :D i should eat 64+0 so it would be 640 calories pair day :D yup! makes sense to me !
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Here is where my question comes in...
    Taking me as an example, I weigh 195. So ...1950 per day would be ideal according to this "Health" magazine.

Some would say too much... Some would say that's right on target.

But if I follow previous advice of eating 20% below TDEE, that would put me at 2000 calories per day. Therefor 1950 would be right, at least in my circumstance.
    I see how it wouldn't mesh with everyone tho, I guess. hmmm
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I dont think so. I would be eating 1220 then & I eat 16-1700 & lose lol
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Taking me as an example, I weigh 195. So ...1950 per day would be ideal according to this "Health" magazine.

But if I follow previous advice of eating 20% below TDEE, that would put me at 2000 calories per day. Therefor 1950 would be a right, at least in my circumstance. Right?
    I see how it wouldn't mesh with everyone tho, I guess.

I can see how it would be good for u there. :) 20% below is good advice
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There's a formula for figuring out just that. I don't have it right now, but remember doing it. Then I did the add a zero
    thing and they came up almost equal. It makes perfect sense. But still if you're an adult never go below 1200.
    That's for maintenance. If you want to lose weight. Add a zero to the end of your goal weight.
    It's simplistic and there are variables but basically yes.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    1600-1800 is a good start for most...
    =D
    I prescribe 1600-1800 to almost anyone 5'2" and up and take into account activity.
    The higher the activity the higher the number.

Do your numbers here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^This! Dan is a genius! I was completely stuck, and tried it his way, and the weight started coming off again! Yay for Dan! :happy:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

But if I follow previous advice of eating 20% below TDEE, that would put me at 2000 calories per day. Therefor 1950 would be a right, at least in my circumstance. Right?
    I see how it wouldn't mesh with everyone tho, I guess.

I can see how it would be good for u there. :) 20% below is good advice

That multiply by 10 theory is based on calories for maintenance, not weight loss. "Get the weight you want to be at and multiple that number by 10, that's how many calories you should eat." that's how it works. If you eat your body weight * 10 you wouldn't lose weight.

Eating 80% of your TDEE(same as taking away 20%) is for weight loss not maintenance.

Hmmm... that is still way too high for me. Okay - maybe my dream weight I was in high school would work, but my weight now or my goal are both way higher than I eat now.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    hahahahahahahaah thats hilarious.no.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    hahahahahahahaah thats hilarious.no.

Glad I amused you :yawn:
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    interesting concept....364lbs add a 0...3640cals a day. cool so i can go back to the way i ate before. Yay. thank you for posting :)

Not meaning to be rude, but magazine articles are very edited versions of the truth. Im sure this works for those select few with the absolute right stats, but deffinately won't work for all of us. Ask a Proffessional.