Does this count?

Options
I got a bike and I've taken to riding it to the coffee shop where I grade papers. It takes me 15 minutes to get there and 20 to get home (it's uphill) but I don't know if I should count that as 35 minutes of exercise because they aren't continuous minutes. My heart rate does rise, but it settles once I'm not biking. How do I log this? I don't want to over estimate calories burned and eat too much.

Replies

• risenonlytofall
    Options
    You could always log the first 15 minutes as one exercise, and the second 20 minutes as another. That's what I do when I go on multiple walks in one day.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You could always log the first 15 minutes as one exercise, and the second 20 minutes as another. That's what I do when I go on multiple walks in one day.

Same here. If I do the same exercise but there is a break between it I usually log the two separately, although I'm not sure if it makes a difference in MFP's calorie calculations either way. Their counts often seem a bit high to me anyway though.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    it most definitely counts. Enjoy the extra calories you get via burning!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I would count it.. especially that last 20 minutes. :happy:
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I got a bike and I've taken to riding it to the coffee shop where I grade papers. It takes me 15 minutes to get there and 20 to get home (it's uphill) but I don't know if I should count that as 35 minutes of exercise because they aren't continuous minutes. My heart rate does rise, but it settles once I'm not biking. How do I log this? I don't want to over estimate calories burned and eat too much.

You are technically doing some form of HIIT there. It's a good thing :) I don't know, I wouldn't. I'd just take any extra burn as a bonus and listen to my body when it is genuinely hungry if I feel like I am still hungry after eating allotted calories (+ exercise calories from intentional exercise)
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I would count both separately. Since there is a hill involved, you are likely not getting as much on the down hill leg as you are on the uphill leg.
    If you want better accuracy, you could invest in a HRM.