Put on a huge amount of weight in a few days. Panic

2»

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    I did cry. It is so depressing. I hope some of it at least is salt. It's just so crap that 4 days could undo 2 months worth of dieting.

this isn't possible. take a chill pill.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    That happens to me on some cheat days. The scale numbers go up like that (even up to 2.5 pounds!) for a few days and they eventually come down. The worse episode i had it in the last two weeks(i retained the weight for those two weeks, imagine my panic!) but it seems that it was also related to my monthly cycle. And now all of a sudden it was all gone today, plus an extra half pound.
    Don't panic! Even if you did gain some fat, it will go away if you keep working hard at it.
  • Yeah, no worries it will FLY off and mostly water. I remember going on a cruise and gained 22lbs in a week lol... At least 10 of them was fat but 12 fell off in a week no problem lol
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    This has happened to me as well, but once you get back on track it just drops off. Too much sodium and water retention can do this. Just get back on track and it will be gone quickly!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    The scale is a filthy lying W (rhymes with door)
    Sodium, etc was high.

Continue as normal and it will drop off
    This is the reason I never even weigh in for 2 or 3 days after a vacation.
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    W doesn't actually rhyme with door.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Where did the OP say she weighed herself at night? She said she just weighed herself - i.e. this morning.

I agree that it is pretty unlikely you have put that much fat on that quickly. Wait a few days and see what happens.

"Just weighed myself" - timestamp 12:20 am.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Where did the OP say she weighed herself at night? She said she just weighed herself - i.e. this morning.

I agree that it is pretty unlikely you have put that much fat on that quickly. Wait a few days and see what happens.

Different time zone, apparently.
  • heybales
    I was wondering if I was eating enough calories before but I was still loosing weight so didn't worry about it too much.

Can you or someone explain what glucose stores are to me?

Do you really want to only lose weight, no matter what it is?
    Or do you want to only lose fat?
    You can end up skinny fat as many do, thin muffin top squeezing out of pants whenever you bend, then arms flapping in the breeze, ect.

Eat too little for your level of activity, have the wrong exercise, and not eat enough protein, and you'll lose muscle mass, lowering your metabolism, and under-eating also lowers metabolism more than even that would cause. Bad combo for being able to continue losing well or go into maintenance later.

Just because you can pound a finish nail in with a sledgehammer doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.

Glucose stores are limited, around 400-450 calories worth in your liver, keeps the blood sugar where your body wants it, always topped off after a meal with any carbs in it, if not, excess amino acids converted to it. If none, muscle is broken down to convert to it.
    Stores in your muscles range from 500-2000 depending on your exercise type and how fit you are and how much muscle you got. 1 gram of glucose stores with 2.7 g of water, meaning 500 cal worth weighs 1 lb. Those stores are only usable by the muscle they are in, can't be put in the bloodstream for use elsewhere. Once gone, liver stores used by the muscle. If that's too low, get ready for muscle breakdown to convert for usage. (fat is used as energy this entire time too, low intensity about 50% fat, high intensity can be none).

That's weight that increases your metabolism too, so desired weight. Besides fluctuating weight.

But if one decent unusual day of carbs of 500 excess of what is needed, and you weight goes up 1 lb, your stores were low already. Bad state to be in, missing out on extra Lean Body Mass that increases metabolism. Plus needed energy stores.
  • heybales

Very true, the use of lbs limited by thinking to the US timezones only, so still night time. But there are US folks around the world and others thinking and reporting in lbs.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    OP, one of my friends is from Sweden, but she lives in the US. She goes back to visit her family twice a year for three weeks, and in that three weeks she gains at least 10 pounds. When she returns to Los Angeles, it usually takes her another two or three weeks to return to her normal weight (she's 5'5" and weighs about 125-130 pounds).

My point is that it's really normal to gain weight when your are out of your routine, and even more normal to lose it again when you return to your routine. You will be fine!! Go back to eating at a slight deficit and exercising, and the weight will come off before you know it. Take care!! :smile:
  • vickijay
    vickijay Posts: 49 Member
    I was wondering if I was eating enough calories before but I was still loosing weight so didn't worry about it too much.

Can you or someone explain what glucose stores are to me?

Do you really want to only lose weight, no matter what it is?
    Or do you want to only lose fat?
    You can end up skinny fat as many do, thin muffin top squeezing out of pants whenever you bend, then arms flapping in the breeze, ect.

Eat too little for your level of activity, have the wrong exercise, and not eat enough protein, and you'll lose muscle mass, lowering your metabolism, and under-eating also lowers metabolism more than even that would cause. Bad combo for being able to continue losing well or go into maintenance later.

Just because you can pound a finish nail in with a sledgehammer doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.

Glucose stores are limited, around 400-450 calories worth in your liver, keeps the blood sugar where your body wants it, always topped off after a meal with any carbs in it, if not, excess amino acids converted to it. If none, muscle is broken down to convert to it.
    Stores in your muscles range from 500-2000 depending on your exercise type and how fit you are and how much muscle you got. 1 gram of glucose stores with 2.7 g of water, meaning 500 cal worth weighs 1 lb. Those stores are only usable by the muscle they are in, can't be put in the bloodstream for use elsewhere. Once gone, liver stores used by the muscle. If that's too low, get ready for muscle breakdown to convert for usage. (fat is used as energy this entire time too, low intensity about 50% fat, high intensity can be none).

That's weight that increases your metabolism too, so desired weight. Besides fluctuating weight.

But if one decent unusual day of carbs of 500 excess of what is needed, and you weight goes up 1 lb, your stores were low already. Bad state to be in, missing out on extra Lean Body Mass that increases metabolism. Plus needed energy stores.

Thanks for explaining that I think I sort of understand it (ish!)

Sorry for being dim!!
  • vickijay

Very true, the use of lbs limited by thinking to the US timezones only, so still night time. But there are US folks around the world and others thinking and reporting in lbs.

Yes it was morning here!! I will date stamp in the future :)
  • heybales
    Thanks for explaining that I think I sort of understand it (ish!)

Sorry for being dim!!

You aren't being dim.

I've seen many articles on what you might think should be educated websites refer to marathoners "hitting the wall" as that is the point they switch to burning fat instead of carbs.

Lacking total understanding that carbs and fat were being burned the whole time actually, and continue being burned.

The wall was when muscle glucose ran out, liver glucose was already gone after about an hr, and now muscle is being broken down totally for all the glucose needs of the working muscle.

Fat is being burned the entire time. Since the wall makes you slow down usually, even more fat burned then.

And you can hit that exact same condition with 5 days of long-enough intense workouts in a row, and never eating enough food and/or carbs to replenish glucose stores, and by the 4th or 5th day, muscle glucose is gone, and your workout is mainly fueled by fat and converted muscle broken down.

Considering muscle can provide about 600 calories of energy that way per lb, compared to fat at 3500 calories per lb - you can lose weight very easily that way. Sadly muscle.
  • I had that about two weeks ago! Check all of your measurements from now on. My weight is just going down, and still higher than normal. But my measurements are a little smaller. I'm guessing mine was a little muscle gain with a lot of water retention. Just keep doing your best and the weight should go away!
  • vickijay
    Wooo I just weighed myself (its 7am here) and already 3lbs has gone :)