Probably a dumb question!

bbblue92
bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
OK so this site calculated a 1200 cal per day allowance for me. When I work out daily, I usually burn 300+ calories, between the elliptical, walking and weights. So the site says I have earned x amount of calories from my work out. Does that mean I get to eat more calories, or do I still need to stick to the 1200. 1200 is NOT alot of calories to eat per day. I am sooo hungry!! Dumb question?:indifferent:

Replies

• If you burn 300 calories, you're allowed to eat another 300 calories...it will actually add those extra calories to your allowance (where it says Calories Remaining), so it's automatically calculated for you...so yes, the more you burn the more you can eat...now thats an incentive to work out!
  • dixiegal2484
    dixiegal2484 Posts: 293 Member
    thats not a dumb question at all. "the only dumb question is the one not asked." so yes you can eat the extra calories
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    The only dumb question is the one you feared to ask-- so ask every question!

MFP automatically puts one at a deficit for calories PRIOR to calculating your calorie allowance, so it's quite safe to eat back your exercise calories, and indeed encouraged!

It may seem counter intuitive, but one must eat more to weigh less.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    This seems to be the biggest problem people have. I'm still struggling with it a bit myself. The short of it, you NEED to eat those calories in order to lose weight effectively.

Check out the newbie posts in the general health discussion forums. There's a lot of good explanations about this there.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,149 Member
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: I love being able to eat my exercise calories......sometimes i exercise more just so I can have peanut butter on my apple snack:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Not a dumb question at all! I'm glad you asked it, I was a little fuzzy on it myself...glad so many people took the time to clear this up!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    I exercise just so I can eat more :blushing:
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Yay! Thank you everyone! It's nice to know that I can have my after dinner indulgence just because I've worked out during the day! Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me!!! BTW, anyone who has responded, feel free to add me as your friend! Off to count my calories and plan on what I'm going to eat with my extras!! :wink:
This discussion has been closed.