Does it matter what way you eat your Calories

Options
Hi,

Just wondering as i am on 1,400 calorie diet a day does it matter if i eat only healthy food or if i eat some healthy and a few treats but still stay within my 1,400 Calorie Goal Per Day... i.e can i eat what i want once i stay within my 1400 calories and still loose weight or am i better to eat health food...

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Weight loss wise no it doesn't matter, health wise yes it makes a difference.

I do what you mentioned, eat mostly healthy with a few treats which is fine. Problems come when people eat mostly junk.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question and the answer is mostly no it doesn't matter. Eat lots of fresh healthy food such as good proteins, good fats, veggies and fruits and if you still have calories left each day then have a little splurge on something you like.

On my post I think someone said at least 80% of your calories should be "good" foods and no more than 20% as treats.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    For the average person? Not at all. A carb is a carb. Protein wil be enough in most peoples diets. Fats on a diet will always be limited and aren't bad anyway.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Of course it's better to eat healthy food, but don't deprive yourself of the odd treat or you may feel like you're missing out and end up going completely off the rails. All things in moderation can actually work on MFP. But planning and organisation is all important as far as your Food Diary goes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For the average person? Not at all. A carb is a carb. Protein wil be enough in most peoples diets. Fats on a diet will always be limited and aren't bad anyway.
    This.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Hi,

Just wondering as i am on 1,400 calorie diet a day does it matter if i eat only healthy food or if i eat some healthy and a few treats but still stay within my 1,400 Calorie Goal Per Day... i.e can i eat what i want once i stay within my 1400 calories and still loose weight or am i better to eat health food...

Yes, it does matter. 1400kcal of junk will get you nowhere. The same as people saying a calorie is just a calorie, they are not.

If weight loss is your aim, increase good fats and protein and reduce carbohydrates and you'll lose weight.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    A calorie is actually a calorie. Your body doesn't distinguish whether a calorie came from a chocolate or a carrot, it just knows it has a unit of energy

The point is that it's better for your health to eat proper food rather than rubbish.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter.

Google "Twinkie Diet". Mark Haub, a nutrition professor at the cansas state university lost 27lbs only eating twinkies and supplementing with vitamins and protein when necessary.

Interesting statement by Mark Haub:
    "I wish I could say the outcomes are unhealthy. I wish I could say it's healthy. I'm not confident enough in doing that. That frustrates a lot of people. One side says it's irresponsible. It is unhealthy, but the data doesn't say that."

A diet based on junk food or sweets is usually bad for several reasons: it gives as insulin spikes, we get hungry again, we can't meet our nutritional goals of micronutrients, too much salt etc. But besides that our body doesn't care: a calorie is just a calorie, protein is just protein etc. Doesn't matter where it comes from. So if you are able to meet your nutritional goals (macro, micro, not too much salt etc.) you can eat whatever you want.

To this day I have not seen one scientific study that proves that junk food by itself is unhealthy.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The main problem with eating 1,400 cals in mainly junk is that junk doesn't actually have a lot of volume - you can get a 1,400 cal meal at McDonald's (or any other fast food place) but that's just one meal, it won't last you the whole day and then you'll be hungry . Whereas the healthy calories will actually physically fill you so that it takes time for your body to process, thereby you won't get as raving-mad-hungry and even if you do, you can easily fill up again with relatively low "cost".

Example: I regularly have a meal that comprises of oven-baked potatoes (no oil added), green beans and either fish or chicken (usually about 200 grams each; altogether about 600-700 grams of food - that's about 1,5 lb of food in one go); however, the calories I get from a meal like that are usually around 500-600. Which means that I can afford to have an ice cream or a cookie as dessert, usually.
  • LorMuldoon81
    LorMuldoon81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had friends that have tried MFP and failed because they went about it wrong.

Yes, you can eat junk and as long as you dont go over your cals/macro's then you will lose.

However, the problem is, that if you eat junk, you'll soon find you dont have enough calories left to get through the day. Hence the reason one of my friends said 'I just cant stick to 1200 calories'

Eat healthy during the day, if you have some cals left at night then have a treat.

Or if you know that you want to eat some junk that day, do loads exercise in the morning, give yourself some extra cals so that you can have what you want to eat, plus have room for some more if you get hungry later.
  • LexyDB
    Options
    A calorie is actually a calorie. Your body doesn't distinguish whether a calorie came from a chocolate or a carrot, it just knows it has a unit of energy

The point is that it's better for your health to eat proper food rather than rubbish.

Really? So a gram of fat or carbohydrate will help build muscle as does protein and protein will act at the main fuel source for the body as opposed to carbohydrates?

Each macronutrient has a purpose and is reflected in the calorie per gram content and the biological role it plays in the body.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    If you aren't bothered by muscle levels, then yes. All are energy sources. Protein can be converted to energy by gluconeogenesis. Fat and carbs are simply energy themselves.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to my food plan if the calories are ones that make me feel full ... eggs and yogurt for breakfast last longer than the same amount of calories of chocolate cake. So I committed to a food plan that supported a proteiin heavy diet to lose the weight and now my carbs come from vegetables and dairy vs grains. It just works for me. It just happens that balance fat, protein and carbs is really a challenge on maintenance now and I continue to work on it!
  • LexyDB
    Options
    If you aren't bothered by muscle levels, then yes. All are energy sources. Protein can be converted to energy by gluconeogenesis. Fat and carbs are simply energy themselves.

Doesn't mean a calorie is just a calorie and I am well aware of glycosis and lipolysis.

With all due respect, it doesn't look as though you are the average person trying to lose weight judging by your muscle mass, as you know the weight training iteself will sort out the weight management aspect.

A calorie isn't just a calorie. Depending upon your goals of weight loss or muscle building, a calorie is far from just a calorie when taken in context for what you need to do.
  • LexyDB
    Options
    I tend to stick to my food plan if the calories are ones that make me feel full ... eggs and yogurt for breakfast last longer than the same amount of calories of chocolate cake. So I committed to a food plan that supported a proteiin heavy diet to lose the weight and now my carbs come from vegetables and dairy vs grains. It just works for me. It just happens that balance fat, protein and carbs is really a challenge on maintenance now and I continue to work on it!

A common sense approach that works. Congratulations!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    well, through the mouth is preferable. but if you want to go through another orifice, its your body.
  • ThatNeuroGuy
    ThatNeuroGuy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I came across a post here on MFP the other day that linked to an article that talked about this topic. I then posted it over to some folks on reddit. Here is the link to that now: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/136g1t/science_article_approaches_theory_that_not_all/

This is the TL;DR (or don't want to click over to reddit) version:

Note: if you want to read the text of the article you'll have to click over to the link I posted.

TL;DR: Studied effect of low-fat, low glycemic-index, and low carb diets on energy expenditure, hormone levels, and metabolic syndrome components. General conclusion that low GI diet is best all around for weight loss and cardiovascular disease prevention.

Rank order for energy expenditure (least to most):
    • Low fat (+0 kcal)
    • Low GI (+150 kcal)
    • Low carb (+350 kcal)

Low carb diet exhibited increases in CRP (measure for chronic inflammation) & increases in cortisol (another stressor).
    Low fat diet showed signs of metabolic syndrome (increases in insulin resistance, triglycerides and HDLs).
    Ultimate outcome: from a metabolic point of view, not all calories are the same.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Doesn't mean a calorie is just a calorie and I am well aware of glycosis and lipolysis.

With all due respect, it doesn't look as though you are the average person trying to lose weight judging by your muscle mass, as you know the weight training iteself will sort out the weight management aspect.

A calorie isn't just a calorie. Depending upon your goals of weight loss or muscle building, a calorie is far from just a calorie when taken in context for what you need to do.

No, it is not. You really don't understand human biology nor the simple physics of the universe (and digestion) if you are suggesting otherwise.

I mean, please, tell me how they vary so much? What difference will they make? Ta!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Just wondering as i am on 1,400 calorie diet a day does it matter if i eat only healthy food or if i eat some healthy and a few treats but still stay within my 1,400 Calorie Goal Per Day...

Either of these approaches is fine. It will be optimal if you choose the first approach but you can be very successful using the second as well.

Flexible dieting strategies tend to work better for the average dieter than rigid one. Essentially choose the way it is easiest for you as an individual to live with.

Good luck.
  • LexyDB
    Options

No, it is not. You really don't understand human biology nor the simple physics of the universe (and digestion) if you are suggesting otherwise.

I mean, please, tell me how they vary so much? What difference will they make? Ta!

Really? I think it is you who has the problem so kindly explain why they are the same before I educate you.