• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I have no clock that restricts me.
    **shoves Timex down pants**
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The dietician I saw when I first began my weight loss journey several years ago told me it was a good idea to eat a healthy snack in the evening -- so I try to eat a piece of fruit, a carton of yogurt, or something like that.
    Had to do with keeping your metabolism "fired" up during the night. She really EMPHASIZED a SMALL, HEALTHY snack.
    Kaye
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    "Past o'clock"? Sure, I just hop in my time machine and go back to 1992. I had some great barbecue this one time. :laugh:

Meal timing is a myth. The only reason you should abstain from eating past a certain hour is if digestion will affect the quality of your sleep. Getting adequate sleep is way more important than when you eat.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I don't eat after midnight
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No eating past "sleep oclock". If I have room in calories to eat and I am hungry, I am going to eat.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I don't eat earlier than 9pm & my normal eating time is 10-11pm.

I only stop eating when I'm asleep
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I usually stop eating after 10....but that's only because I'm in bed. Of course I start right back up again when I wake up in the morning.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Does anyone stop eating after a certain hour at night? I was trying not to eat after dinner, so not after 7pm, but I noticed I felt so darn weak if I woke in the middle of the night to get water or go to the bathroom. Of course I'd feel light when I woke...and still so weak. I think evening snacks work better for me, I'm talking a 9/10pm. I always read its best to not eat late though if you are trying to lose weight. Any advice?

I'd been on so many diets 15 years prior to finally becoming successful with weight loss. One of the diets had a rule not to eat past 7pm and so I did that and it sort of evolved. I finally just got sick of it all and made up my own diet with healthy foods I enjoy and smaller portions. I ate my meals from small desert plates and bowls. I stopped eating in the evenings (not that when you eat matters.) I started calling what I did mini-meals and mini-fasts and I lost 40 lbs. Then I found Eat Stop Eat and learned why it worked and everything took off for me at that point. At first I stopped eating at 7pm. Once I started realizing how many calories I needed to eat for the scale to keep going down I sometimes realized I had eaten enough by 5pm or even 3pm. I did go to sleep hungry but I always woke up feeling fine. My doctor continued to check my hormone levels (I do this anyway because I'm older and have thyroid, adrenal, and other hormone issues) and all was fine. The DXA scan proved I did not lose lean body mass. My doctor was quite happy with my results, many of my health issues went away once I dropped the 60 lbs.

Anyway it does not matter when you eat. I now mostly skip breakfast because I like to workout before I eat and I like to have all my calories available in the afternoon and evening and I like to got to bed with a little food in my tummy. I am maintaining now but it still takes calorie control and being aware of what you are eating and it's not like you stay exactly the same weight. You fluctuate around in maintenance and sometimes still have to eat at a slight deficit after vacations and social events, so all the tools you learn in the weight loss phase come into play for the rest of your life.

All that matters is calories. It does not matter when you eat them. But if stopping at a certain point, or not starting until a certain point creates a sort of "eating window" and keeps you within your calorie budget for a deficit or maintenance than "it works". It is cool because it is flexible and you can tailor it to your own personal needs.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Does not matter as long as you’re within your daily goal & macros. Who comes up with the random numbers anyways.
  • cecyvaquero
    cecyvaquero Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I try not to but if I get hungry I will have something light like cereal or chocolate milk just so I don't feel hungry anymore.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what time you eat a meal, when you go to bed your body continues to function, you don't just shut off.