Midweek Weigh-in: No loss - Now Really Demotivated

Options
It's my third week of 'healthy eating', and I have been really good at cutting down on portion sizes, and having breakfast every day.
I have not gone mad, as I want to take things slowly.

I normally weigh every saturday night, and this usually gives me the excuse to have a small treat. I thought this week was going really well, and to boost my motivation I got on the scales last night and it said I put on a little bit of weight!!! Today, I feel really bad as I thought I was going to have a plesant shock...

My gut reaction last night was to skip a few meals, or half my (already cut-down) portions - but i'm over that for now..

Just having a rant, which is making me feel better already...

Replies

• fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    you should only weigh in once a week, as ur weight can fluctuate.....and cause u to be unmotivated!! and maybe weigh in in the morning. it seems that if u weigh at night, it may be more cuz youve been eating all day. dont give up, just hang in there!! good luck :)
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know what your talking about! I try to ignore the scale during the time between weigh in days....It usually depresses me! I weigh in on Thurs mornings and I really want to get on the scale Wed just to peak....and usually it just frustrates me...I read a post about someone who was "telling" her scale that she was going to end their end their mid week weigh in relationship! It was funny and yet it really hit the mark.....it is such an unhealthy relationship we have with our scale!! Good luck, and even if you don't lose this week you'll probably have a bigger loss next week...(that's what I tell myself!) Keep posting....we all have this problem and that's what this site is about....getting rid of the frustration or sharing the joy of weight loss!!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Another tip - never weigh yourself at the end of the day. You are not only weighing yourself but all the fluids and food you have taken in during the day. I have been dieting for many years and I must say everyone is different but I have found if I do happen to weigh in the evening I expect to have 2 extra pounds on the scales. So please don't be hard on yourself and realize you weren't just weighing yourself but all you had consumed for the day as well as your body. Remember to weigh after you get up in the morning and before you eat or drink anything - you will get a truer reading. Or if you weigh at the gym - try to weigh about the same time wearing similar clothing so that you can get a more realistic reading. Don't get discouraged... you will lose weight and be successful at meeting your goals. :flowerforyou:
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I agree, weigh yourself in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom and don't wear clothes. It will be the most consistant way to weigh yourself.
    Also, I suggest measuring yourself. I'm shocked at the differences I get when I measure myself. Last week alone, I only lost 1lb (on track with my goals) but I lost a total of 5.6 inches! 2 of them were from my waist and 1 from my hips. It really helps me realize that even through the number on the scale isn't zooming down, my body *is* changing for the better!
  • Sarah219
    Options
    Hi I did exactly the same thing this morning , i was expecting to be lost a few pounds ( weigh in should have been on a saturday too ) but no suh luck . just goes to prove when they say weigh in once a week , they say it for a reason ...lol ......keep up good work !!! :smile:
  • chronologie2
    Options
    Thank you all!

I'll take your advice, and only weigh on Saturday Morning before I eat anything for the day. I can see the sence in doing that...
    The only problem i'd have doing it nude is that the scales are actually my Wii Fit, and it's in the kitchen... So i would either have to get up before the kids, or wear the same PJ's each and every time.....

I will also start taking key measurements, because as you said I may not have lost any weight in a particular week - but it might have had some other noticible effect....

Again thank you for replying, and no matter what - i'm in this for the long run..