Post success to Facebook?

Options
As of this morning, I'm down 75 pounds, way over halfway to goal. I'm excited and proud today. I posted on Facebook when I had lost 50, and have been waiting until 75 to post about it again. I'm really private on FB. I rarely post anything personal or any pics. Should I post my success on the site? Has anyone posted, then regretted. My thoughts are-I don't want those folks that haven't seen me in a few years to know I had that much to lose, but I want those who have to know how much I've lost. What did you do?

Replies

• GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've posted and not so much regretted it, but wished I hadn't posted so often. And I kind of want to not post anymore so it's more of a surprise when people see me after losing the weight. :)
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel this is why FB is ruining our society. Tell your friends- you know the people you actually see in real life regularly. And tell them the old fashion way- with a phone call or in person. Truth is your casual friends dont care. Im not sure how this happened where every life event- even tragic ones - or happy ones need to be shared near to death. You said yourself its personal and you are a private person - why in the world would you tell 200 people you never see? If you are hesitating to do it - go phone a friend - a real friend who will be SO happy for you, cheer for you and be REAL with you.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I posted my first before and "during" pic recently, I really wrestled with the before but the reaction was very positive so no, except for some teasing I really liked the feedback.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you feel proud and excited about your success, go for it! You should feel that way and there is no right or wrong. And for those who haven't seen you in a long time...well I bet there are some people who are in a similar place and would feel inspired by you!
  • sueblue77
    sueblue77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Fine point well made Newmooon.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm friends with a lot of the girls from my classes on Facebook, and have had nothing but positive feedback from them when I've posted progress pictures, before/after etc. Interestingly, old friends are nothing but positive too - but do whatever you feel comfortable with! I think that, as long as you're not coming across as overly boastful, people tend to respond well.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you use Facebook.

If you are FB friends with tons of people with whom you have little or no individual contact, then I'd say no.

If you are FB friends with a few people with whom you are very close and they know what it going on in your life, go ahead.

When I was going through a divorce several years ago, my standard for FB friends was "am I OK with this person knowing what is going on with my divorce right now?" If the answer was no, I was not FB friends with them. I hold that standard to this day. I'm only FB friends with people I know pretty well and I have no problem with them knowing what's going on in my personal and professional life.

They all knew that I gained 15 pounds this spring after two injuries in a row, so I know they will want to know that I'm working on losing it and how that's going.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you use Facebook.

If you are FB friends with tons of people with whom you have little or no individual contact, then I'd say no.

If you are FB friends with a few people with whom you are very close and they know what it going on in your life, go ahead.

When I was going through a divorce several years ago, my standard for FB friends was "am I OK with this person knowing what is going on with my divorce right now?" If the answer was no, I was not FB friends with them. I hold that standard to this day. I'm only FB friends with people I know pretty well and I have no problem with them knowing what's going on in my personal and professional life.

They all knew that I gained 15 pounds this spring after two injuries in a row, so I know they will want to know that I'm working on losing it and how that's going.

Thanks SueBlue- also- what he said- He said it even better than I.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I posted my weight loss actually last night on FB and got a good response back. Sometimes it's nice to get a pat on the back and have people tell you that you are doing a good job.

I've never had ANYONE say anything negative about it and if they did, I would probably delete them. I don't need those kind of people in my life.
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Part of my "plan" is accountability. So rather than post my wife and I's successes and failures to Facebook - my wife & I started a blog. And I just share when there is a new blog posting on the blog. This way those who truly care can take a look. And those who don't won't be bothered by anything that could come off as bragging. It seems to work very well! And it does keep us accountable. One week we did not post and we were asked at least 10 times while out and about if we had "fallen off the wagon". :)
  • WillardsMommy1
    Options
    A picture is worth a thousand words...you don't have to SAY you lost weight but i'm sure in the pic itd be obvious! Thats what i'm planning to do. (i'm vain enough to not want to let anyone know i was actually trying to lose weight.) :blushing:
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    First, way to go on the 75lb loss!

I only have 50 to lose, and have lost 25 so far. I'm definitely not an oversharer on facebook but I like to post every couple days. I've considered posting on fb but 1. I'm definitely embarassed to acknowledge I gained so much, and 2. there are some people I'm friends with that I wouldn't want to tell. I have instagram with just a few friends on it, and every so often I'll take a picture of MFP weight loss and post it there. I'm excited, I do want to tell people, but I don't know about fb. I've been posting when I do 5k's, etc. and I'll post a great picture of myself when I lose weight, and let people comment as they will! :) But I'm not sure I'll tell everyone how much I lost.

On the other hand though, I think it's inspirational to your friends that might be considering losing some weight.
  • hparker2
    hparker2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would definitely post a picture! You have worked so hard to lose that weight, be proud of yourself! I think it's perfectly acceptable to post a progress picture every once in a while. Now the ones that post a picture of themelves in bathroom mirrors every 5 seconds... that is a little excessive and annoying. I think your friends will be proud of you though!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You don't need to say a word, my first bash at this I lost 3 stone, stuck a picture on FB and the response was great, a picture is all you need