Alcohol

Options

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain Dom_m, I love to drink...excessively too...like I could easily down 2 bottles of wine by myself AND have a few shots at a party.
    I found there's no easy solution to the answer you've asked. It's either a) learn some self-control and moderate your drinking b) quit drinking or c) don't lose weight. I chose A, and while it's been difficult, I've learned to nurse my drinks and stay away from the calorie laden sweet shots that I used to do.
    Granted, it may be easier for a woman to moderate herself since there's no king-of-the-bar, i-can-drink-more-than-you male ego competition involved, but it's better than nothing.
    Oh, and the drug thing...I know it was a joke, but STAY AWAY. Bad, bad news.

Edited because I can't spell.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I drink socially 2-3 times a week. I don't plan to stop, I enjoy it, its healthy, and its fun. So, what I've started doing is getting drinks that are more considered "sipping drinks" and setting myself a limit money wise (usually 15-20$). A 15$ glass of scotch that I sip all evening lets me enjoy my night, gets me buzzed, ends up costing less than if I kept getting drinks all night, and its not bad calorie wise (1oz is about 70 calories). If I drink something else, I usually limit myself to one drink - a must because I like creamy drinks (brandy alexanders, grasshoppers, etc). Basically just one or two drinks unless its a super special occasion (in which case I won't count calories anyways).
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    Ice cream is good, but it won't get you drunk: fact.

I freakin' LOVE that! I actually just LOL at my desk. thanks for making my afternoon!

And Dom-I love to drink too. I grew up in a huge alcohol-loving family, and my college days were definitely spent having plenty of 'good times' at the local bars. I love beer. I love wine. I love margaritas. And i'm not ashamed to admit it. I also want to get healthier and lose weight. So i do like someone else said and just exercise harder that day and eat a little leaner, to make up for the drinks i'm going to have that night.

And BTW-to all those people that think drinking is just 'oh, so terrible for your health': My grandfather has been drinking for basically 75 years or more. And continues to drink, sometimes even 3 times a week. And he still can get out on the golf course, play a full round, and beat most of the 60 year olds out there. AND HE'S 93! So obviously drinking occasionally isn't all that bad.

Just my 2 cents.
    Laura
  • bukozki
    Options
    I freakin' LOVE that! I actually just LOL at my desk. thanks for making my afternoon!

That's why I make the big bucks.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I go out every friday night and have several drinks. I get off work and go straight to the gym! I burn 600-800 calories on the elliptical and then go home and get ready! I usually drink vodka and cranberry or pineapple, but I'm going to switch to something diet, maybe sugar free red bull. Sometimes I dance all night (burns lots of calories!) and sometimes I don't. But either way I'm still losing weight. It is possible. We are on here learning how to enjoy things in moderation. Not completely cut all bad foods out of our diet!! We are fat because of the excess we drink or eat. As long as you are counting calories and account for what you are drinking and eating, you will be just fine ;)

I wouldn't do a replay of that specific night though! pizza and alcohol?? in the same night?? maybe try a lighter food and keep your calories lower during the day!

I also have friends that drink a glass of wine a night (i don't like wine!) and they have lost alot of weight!!! Alcohol is healthy in moderation. That has been proven.

btw - working out right before going out gives me lots of energy!!!!

and i'm not trying to offend anyone, just sharing my own experiences ;)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ok so, here's the thing about the "1 glass of wine a day" thing.

It's not beneficial BECAUSE of the alcohol, it's beneficial (this is the theory at least) in spite of the alcohol. It's because wine has anti-oxidants in it which are good for cholesterol and the cardio-pulmonary system.

Put it this way, if you could, instead, drink non-alcoholic wine, or eat a few servings of blueberries every day instead (keeping in mind the sugar) that would be far better.

There's NO way to sugar coat it, alcohol is poison, over time it destroys your liver, your kidneys, your brain, your lungs, and your intestines. THESE ARE MEDICAL FACTS, they aren't opinions, they aren't myths, they are truths. How badly you are affected depends on genetics, body type, body size, and amount of alcohol you consume.

I'm not talking about standoff affect alcohol has on the metabolism (which is what delays your weight loss), nor am I talking about the psychological affects of drinking alcohol (reducing inhibitions which basically impairs your ability to make good food choices) or the dehydrating affects of alcohol, which can be damaging the day of and the day after drinking. Those are all extra little kicks in the *kitten* that make is super bad.
  • rubyredrage
    Options
    There's been some good suggestions on here, personally since I started trying to lose weight I have tried to limit going out, when I do I drink vodka and diet coke, and also do what msarro does - set a budget!

If I'm going out I work out that day, save up all my exercise calories and calculate how many drinks I can have within those calories, take out enough money for those drinks (and a taxi) and leave my atm and credit card at home. It gives you very few other options unless you want to be a scab :)

I"m from Oz too and I feel your pain, I'm sure you declining pub offers wil result in massive stirring from your mates (it's happening to me too!). What I'm doing is organizing to meet my friends somewhere a little later, and telling them I have to do something else later so I can only stay for a little while. You get a few drinks in, see your mates, then leave early without the peer pressure to stay on and get trashed.

Hope that helps!
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    And BTW-to all those people that think drinking is just 'oh, so terrible for your health': My grandfather has been drinking for basically 75 years or more. And continues to drink, sometimes even 3 times a week. And he still can get out on the golf course, play a full round, and beat most of the 60 year olds out there. AND HE'S 93! So obviously drinking occasionally isn't all that bad.
    It is good that your grandpa is doing well. We should all be so lucky at 93. Uh huh, anadotal stories are fine to tell, but I'd not bet my health on them. I can give you page after page of anadotal stories about drinking and smoking and drug use "not being harmful to grandpa", but those stories do not mean those are healthful habits. Meanwhile, I think one of the main themes of this thread has been that drinking takes a toll on weight loss efforts. Yes, health is a definite consideration, but more topical is on the main focus of weight loss, and that the excess calories of heavy drinking will have a negative effect on weight loss. That is a fact. Thankfully, everyone gets to make their own choices. Here is wishing success to all in their goals.:smile:
  • ultraviolet29
    Options
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just want to chime in my $.02 here because cutting down on alcohol has been surprisingly hard for me too - which has led me to really think about this issue a lot, but that is not for a discussion here! My drink of choice is vodka with club soda, and when I measured how much I was pouring into a class I was easlity drinking 3 ozs per drink, and having 2-3 a night. Inspite of being a highly active person and eating healthy foods, I still managed to gain 20 pounds in the last 7 years, and I blame alcohol for that. Now I'm counting my calories and cutting down on the booze, which has undoubtedly been the hardest part. I have tried a variety of ways to cut down, and so far the best compensation strategies I have found are

1)I have about 6 liters of zero calorie beverages on hand. They are lightly carbonated and sweetened with splenda, and I pour them over ice into my cocktail glass with a twist, so it gives me the illusion that I'm having a cocktail. :) Strangely, it works really well! That keeps me away from it during the week. And say what you want to about the harmful effects of carbonated bevvies and artificial sweeteners, I'm sure I'm doing less damage to myself with them than I would with vodka.

2) Then on the weekends, I measure 2 ozs into my glass for each drink, and as I sip I top it off with extra club soda to stretch it out. But here's the best part: after not drinking all week I find my tolerance is actually down and I end of only having 2 1/2 cocktails (the half is the third drink I pour but don't manage to finish). So yes, that means I'm wasting alcohol it's better than wasting my liver. And having 40% less alcohol on a Saturday night.

3) I brush my teeth right after dinner. I don't know why but I just can't bring myself to eat or drink anything when I have a nice minty fresh mouth :bigsmile:

4) lifestyle changes. I've always been an active person, but I wouldn't get to the gym, hit the slopes, ride my bike, etc until after noon,. Now I make plans to hit an early morning aerobic class, meet friends early in the morning for a hike with our dogs, carpool with my early morning rising friends to the ski areas....whatever it takes to make sure I don't overdo it the night before and spend ...or rather waste most of the day hungover.

Now I don't know how old you are, but I am 40, and partying with friends doesn't have the same priority that it did in my prior 2 decades. I find that I can go out and drink less when I'm with them, in fact most of my new friends don't even drink. Nor does my husband, and on some level I think that is one of the reasons why I started dating him in the first place. If you are sincere about your desire to cut down to help you lose weight, than it really does require lifestyle changes and a lot of willpower. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • gem975
    gem975 Posts: 29
    Options
    Im australian and dont know ANYONE who drinks fosters lol
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about getting healthy, then drop the alcohol. Thinking that just counting calories of the beer you drink is all you have to is a mistake. Alcohol has to be dealt with by the liver. If the liver is busy trying to detox your blood, then it can't metabolize fat at the same time, well not efficiently anyhow. So that will slow your fat loss drastically.

Want balance? Go out once a week and have 1-2 beer. You're still going out and having beers, just a little less. Like everything else you put in your mouth, moderation is key.

THIS is the biggest issue with alcohol. People are often concerned with how many calories are in whatever they are drinking. But they seem to forget that as long as their is alcohol in the system, the body is not going to be able to process fat, carbs, or protein! I would think that the LAST thing that you want to do is literally bring all fat burning to a halt. Meanwhile, any calories you consume while drinking essentially gets "stored" until the body can clear itself of what it thinks is poison.
  • CareyT
    CareyT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've started only drinking on Saturday night. I realized all the bar/restaurants my friends go to serve herbal tea. It's a little dorky, but at least I have something to drink guilt free and I don't get a hangover. If I go out on Saturday, I get a nice whiskey in a glass with ice and sip it. I can actually make it last for an hour and then wait a while before I maybe have another one. I also made a standing date with my friend to go hiking on Sunday, so I stop myself from getting wasted so I can get up and have fun. I ruined so many weekends last year puking and feeling horrible, ordering pizza and watching movies. It wasn't even fun because I felt like crap and I blocked the beautiful sunny Sundays out with the curtains so I could wallow in my toxicity. For me, quitting drinking so much has no only helped me lose weight, it has made my life more fun and exciting. But you do what makes you happy. That's important, too.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about getting healthy, then drop the alcohol. Thinking that just counting calories of the beer you drink is all you have to is a mistake. Alcohol has to be dealt with by the liver. If the liver is busy trying to detox your blood, then it can't metabolize fat at the same time, well not efficiently anyhow. So that will slow your fat loss drastically.

Want balance? Go out once a week and have 1-2 beer. You're still going out and having beers, just a little less. Like everything else you put in your mouth, moderation is key.

THIS is the biggest issue with alcohol. People are often concerned with how many calories are in whatever they are drinking. But they seem to forget that as long as their is alcohol in the system, the body is not going to be able to process fat, carbs, or protein! I would think that the LAST thing that you want to do is literally bring all fat burning to a halt. Meanwhile, any calories you consume while drinking essentially gets "stored" until the body can clear itself of what it thinks is poison.

Thanks. This is what I wanted to know. So basically eating target calories then exercising against alcohol wont work, especially if eating and drinking occur at the same time. I might need to apply a multiplier to alcohol calories or something.

I kind of feel like I've been cast as a major alcoholic. The evening I described was obviously exceptional, which is what makes it worthy of description. Some of the puritanical statements in this thread, while not untrue are not very helpful and mostly annoying since most of them just state common knowledge in an aggressive manner. Whatever, each to their own. Just don't assume your goals or priorities are my goals and priorities.

Since my overall health is really quite good and I'm happy with the weight loss progress I'm making (about 10 pounds to go - half way in 3 weeks), I think I'll mostly keep doing what I'm doing, which is drink a lot of water when I drink alcohol and try to keep number of drinks to no more than 4 in a night. I might add an effort to cook my own dinner on drinking nights to make sure I stay away from wedges etc. This works better with my other goals, some of which are more important than weight loss or marginal changes to risk of various ailments.

The tip about meeting people late and leaving early was excellent! Thanks whichever Aussie gave that one ;)
  • hilthealth
    hilthealth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I used to have a few beers each day. What I did was switch from beer to vodka tonic. I'll put ice and vodka in pint glass, and fill the rest with diet tonic. As the glass empties, I add only more diet tonic.

I know this is probably not the best way to cope, and it would be best to cut out alcohol completely, but I have been able to turn my 3-4 beers a day into 1 or 2 shots of vodka, which has severely cut my calorie intake from alcohol.

On my cheat day, I will allow myself a few beers. I can't live without a good IPA every now and then.

Again, this is probably not the best advice, but it has worked for me.

Good luck.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Most everything I'd say about the fact that you're going to have to bite the bullet and cut way back on alcohol if you're really concerned about becoming healthy has already been said. The bottom line with all that is excessive (or really even "moderate") alcohol consumption is not healthy not matter how you try to twist it to fit into an otherwise healthy lifestyle. It may be fun, it may taste great, but it's bad for you. So, that's the end of that story.

I have gone through stages in my life where I've consumed an obscene amount of alcohol. I have gone through stages where I barely drank at all for a few years. Now, I'm finding that I drink once or twice a month-- 2-3 beers each time. One really great thing about having lost over 50 pounds is that last night I was really good and buzzed off 1.5 LIGHT beers. :laugh: So, cut back on those alcohol calories, lose some weight, and it'll take less alcohol to have the same effect as twelve (seriously, dude, TWELVE?) drinks. :wink:

Edit: And I think the reason you may have gotten "puritanical" comments is that you never once, in your original post, explained to us that last night was an exception for you. Sometimes people don't read through all the responses before they respond. Quite frankly, you made it seem as though having 12 drinks is a very regular occurance for you and you wanted to fit your regular 12 alcoholic beverages into your "healthy" lifestyle. So, you can see how people would be a little concerned for your health/safety and confused. :smile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

<snip>

Speaking of LOLing, you just made me.

I have an employee who has never smoked (1st or 2nd hand) a day in her life being treated for lung cancer. According to your logic, that **proves** NOT smoking must be bad for you. Right? :laugh:

There are many factors on how anything impacts a person's health. Your grandfather doesn't negate the fact that millions of us have lost loved ones to the health effects of alcohol consumption. Willful ignorance isn't really very good for your health, either. :ohwell:
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    I am actually taking a class on this right now so I was so glad to find this thread. There are many many smart people who have given some excellent advice. I would just like to add that 5 or more alcoholic drinks (this includes beer, wine, mixed drinks) in one sitting when done sporadically like once a week or on occasions is actually considered binge drinking. so not good for the body. Thank you jib123 for your comment about your employee and the point that there are several factors on how things affect our health. our bodies are amazingly complex and how one individual metabolizes something like alcohol has nothing to do with how another person's body will handle it. so that's just my 2 cents. Domm...good luck, I hope you take the good advice on these pages and cut down on the drinking. Its not just the weightloss thing, it's your health. long term chronic alchohol use does other things to your body besides wrecks your liver, you can get something called Avitaminosis, which means that the alcohol basically sucks all the vitamins, especially B vitamins out of your cells and causes you to not be able to get nutrients from your food. Just something else to think about.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Edit: And I think the reason you may have gotten "puritanical" comments is that you never once, in your original post, explained to us that last night was an exception for you. Sometimes people don't read through all the responses before they respond. Quite frankly, you made it seem as though having 12 drinks is a very regular occurance for you and you wanted to fit your regular 12 alcoholic beverages into your "healthy" lifestyle. So, you can see how people would be a little concerned for your health/safety and confused. :smile:

This is a fair comment. I just re-read my original post and I can see I was expecting people to make assumptions about my general health and lifestyle without giving them the info. People obviously made assumptions anyway, but not the right ones. So I guess its unfair of me to sound snappish. Apologies, and thanks for all the comments. Some of them are very helpful.
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    bump; i need 2 read this