HAS ANYONE TRIED THE MILITARY DIET?

Since ive had 60lbs of extra weight for over 2yrs now i decided i need a little extra help to eat better. My friend told me about this diet lastnight and did lots of research on it. The military diet is to help you lose around 10lbs in 3 days. So pretty much you do 3 days on the diet and 4 days off making healthier choices. Im just curious if anyone else has heard about this or has tried it? I will start this diet tomorrow....today is grocery shopping day because i dont have the foods here now. Im looking to lose 60lbs before summer 2013 and i KNOW i can do it.

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    uhm
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    ummm im in the military but i never heard of this. actually it sounds really unhealthy. and in truth if you ever GO ON a diet that means you GO OFF a diet. the only way to do it right is actually change your lifestyle.
  • PrettyUgly18
    PrettyUgly18 Posts: 31 Member
    Diets don't work. Changing your life style and making healthy choices does.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    I'm pretty sure the military diet/losing 10lbs in 3 days is because the food in the military is so bad, you don't want to eat it.
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    Diets don't work. Changing your life style and making healthy choices does.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU Pretty18
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    <-- also in the military, and I know if I did something like that, I'd get in trouble for it.

Apparently calling something "military" instantly makes it hardcore... try something really hardcore. Go PT with some marines doing bear crawls up a sand dune with an 80lb rucksack on your back.

OR, stop trying quick fixes, workout, eat healthier, and do it the way that works for life... just a thought :D
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I'm pretty sure the military diet/losing 10lbs in 3 days is because the food in the military is so bad, you don't want to eat it.

Yeah.

And, if a diet has a name you should usually avoid it.
  • berdoochick
    berdoochick Posts: 25 Member
    My friend whos a marine sent this diet to me because he was going to try it to. It is very strict but I wasn't too hungry really the first 2 days but on the 3rd day I started getting dizzy and almost passed out. Now I'm 5'5 and was 162lbs when i started I only lost about 4lbs on the diet. If you are bigger than i was then you should loose more weight but its really not a safe diet. My friend said it was for those who were past the weight cut-off and needed to loose the poundage quickly. I havent gained it back tho I will say that, but It's not a diet i would do again. Hope it helps
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Yeah stop looking for quick fixes is right

Slow weight loss works.

When I was sick with Mono I lost 10 pounds in a week because my throat was so swollen I couldn't eat and could barely drink.

Gained it all back the week after I was healthy when I resumed eating between 1200-1500 calories a day.

Any "Get thin quick" diet is basically a scam or a waste of time. You cannot maintain a 10 lb weight loss over the coure of a week.

Have some patience. Find out what your goals are to lose pound a week and stay away from the silly diets that don't work
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Husband is the Marine Corps 8 years and counting...
    When they have a weigh in and they need to make weight they tend to do this type of diet. YET it mostly water weight and only to weigh in below what they need and go on record. Even the other Marines KNOW its not "real" weight loss and tell them they have a month to offically lose it.

My husband IS NOT a fan of his marines doing the crash diet at all.

If you have something important or special and need to appear a little thinner, they you can probably handle it for a few days.
    But for life?...No way. It's not at all heatlhy.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    <-- also in the military, and I know if I did something like that, I'd get in trouble for it.

Apparently calling something "military" instantly makes it hardcore... try something really hardcore. Go PT with some marines doing bear crawls up a sand dune with an 80lb rucksack on your back.

OR, stop trying quick fixes, workout, eat healthier, and do it the way that works for life... just a thought :D

Totally LOVE how you said Marines instead of Navy :laugh: I workout with my husband....and he shows no mercy. :sad: but sure as hell works!!
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    ummm im in the military but i never heard of this. actually it sounds really unhealthy. and in truth if you ever GO ON a diet that means you GO OFF a diet. the only way to do it right is actually change your lifestyle.

^^this^^

The weight didn't go on in 3 days, how is it good for it to come off that quickly?
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    ditto
  • sjohnny
    Yeah stop looking for quick fixes is right

Slow weight loss works.

When I was sick with Mono I lost 10 pounds in a week because my throat was so swollen I couldn't eat and could barely drink.

Gained it all back the week after I was healthy when I resumed eating between 1200-1500 calories a day.

Any "Get thin quick" diet is basically a scam or a waste of time. You cannot maintain a 10 lb weight loss over the coure of a week.

Have some patience. Find out what your goals are to lose pound a week and stay away from the silly diets that don't work

Next we'll see someone start a thread looking for information on the Mono Diet.

"I saw it on Dr. Oz."
  • I havent started this "crash diet" yet! I really do need something to kick start my weightloss. I think that if I myself can lose a little weight with this diet itll encourage me to lose more. Im at the lowest of lowest right now in life and im verrrry unhealthy. Im 5'4 176lbs. OBESE!!! That really hits a soft spot when seeing that or hearing that from doctors. Thanks for all your replys. Did anyone do research on it. Your not "starving" yourself your still eating. I do agree its not enough and do agree i need to do something more healthier. I really just nee encouragement.....Im falling into depression mode hardcore. Going from 115 to 176 in 2 yrs eeekkkkkkk uuugghhh is there any advice you could give me? Maybe im trying to lose weight the wrong way......whats the RIGHT WAY?????????
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    I'm in the Army and I've never heard of this diet. But I can say Dr. Oz has a reset three day detox program. I haven't tried it but it sounds easy and the women lost 3-5 pounds in those three days. It's a starter for your new lifestyle change. I think it's healthier than what your talking about. Go on Dr. Oz's site and put in 72 hour detox in the search engine. I wish you much luck in your lifestyle change.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    I havent started this "crash diet" yet! I really do need something to kick start my weightloss. I think that if I myself can lose a little weight with this diet itll encourage me to lose more. Im at the lowest of lowest right now in life and im verrrry unhealthy. Im 5'4 176lbs. OBESE!!! That really hits a soft spot when seeing that or hearing that from doctors. Thanks for all your replys. Did anyone do research on it. Your not "starving" yourself your still eating. I do agree its not enough and do agree i need to do something more healthier. I really just nee encouragement.....Im falling into depression mode hardcore. Going from 115 to 176 in 2 yrs eeekkkkkkk uuugghhh is there any advice you could give me? Maybe im trying to lose weight the wrong way......whats the RIGHT WAY?????????

Lol, did you not see the first link? It was to a thread that had links; we did do research on it. Anything with the phrase "____ Diet" should set off a red flag.

A diet that especially advocates eating hot dogs and ice cream routinely (rather than simply learning to eat foods with not the best nutrients in moderation) is going to raise eyebrows.

Plus this whole... why do you need a kickstarter? Why would losing MAYBE one actual pound from a crash diet "encourage you to lose weight." You said yourself--you're obese and so upset. Isn't THAT encouragement to get moving?!

And the right way? Log your calories for a week, start lifting weights, and add some cardio into your week.

You will see results, even if it's not immediately on the scale. If you're truly obese, watching your calorie intake should be enough to start dropping pounds... and once you add exercise regularly to your day, your life will change. You will feel better, be more likely to lose weight and inches, and your clothes will start feeling better.

So, in summary, the right way = Doing what this site tells you to do when you sign up! Log all your calories, eat at a deficit (that is right for you), incorporate cardio and strength training.

Boom. Results.
  • sjohnny
    To quote my 7 year old daughter "BA-BAYUM!!"