Entering Danger Zone...

Options
We have a Thanksgiving potluck today at work and I don't have any time to work out. I've already eaten a Reese's mini today so I'm worried about going way over. Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• Kathrynaline
    Options
    2 bites. Allow yourself two bites of whatever it is you're wanting to try. That way you can talk to everyone about how things taste. If you don't at least try stuff you might hurt someones feelings. I'd only take 2 bites of whatever carby, sugery, whatever thats tempting you! ANd tomorrows a new day. Do your best and it'll all even out in the end. Good Luck.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    2 bites. Allow yourself two bites of whatever it is you're wanting to try. That way you can talk to everyone about how things taste. If you don't at least try stuff you might hurt someones feelings. I'd only take 2 bites of whatever carby, sugery, whatever thats tempting you! ANd tomorrows a new day. Do your best and it'll all even out in the end. Good Luck.

Thanks!! Good advice!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Two options:

1) eat and log
    2) log and eat
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    One day and move on *smooches*
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    One day and move on *smooches*

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Revvin' up your engine

Listen to her howlin' roar

Metal under tension

Beggin' you to touch and go
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'd just enjoy the potluck and have a good time. It's life. It's bound to happen.

Think about it in terms of the whole week and not just a day. On the Android app, at least, it shows you a weekly graph. That's all I'd pay attention to to keep from nitpicking at the details. Enjoy yourself.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I had one on Wednesday. I went with the "don't worry about it and go for a run" approach.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to enjoy Thanksgiving dispite my diabetes, She also said, if you are going to eat ice cream, eat a gallon in one day and get back on to taking care of yourself as it is far less stressful than eating ice cream day after day....Good luck and keep logging.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Enjoy in moderation and focus on the people not the food. Then don't beat yourself up afterwards! Just make sure you stay on track until December!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    As was said, one day won't destroy all you worked on. I also 'graze' at those kind of functions, just picking a bit of this and that to put on my plate. I also grab a smaller plate as it looks full faster and therefore, I eat less. Have fun!
  • dcglobalgirl
    Options
    I had one on Wednesday. I went with the "don't worry about it and go for a run" approach.

That's the problem. I can't go for a run or workout today because this is happening over my lunch hour (when I would normally work out) and I'm supposed to go to another dinner party tonight (which I may skip, because I'm starting to come down with a cold). Maybe I'll just try for a longer run tomorrow.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Small plate, 1 trip. Or, throw it all out, enjoy yourself and let it go realizing tomorrow is another day.

And thanks, I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day long...
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    We had one yesterday at work! I just took half a spoonful of everything. It still ended up being probably a 1000 calorie lunch, but I ate a small dinner and honestly wasn't hungry, and I didn't end up going over.
  • dcglobalgirl
    Options
    We had one yesterday at work! I just took half a spoonful of everything. It still ended up being probably a 1000 calorie lunch, but I ate a small dinner and honestly wasn't hungry, and I didn't end up going over.

Wow, great job!!
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Also, if someone brings a salad or something...just fill most of your plate with that...that way there's just no room for lot's of the other stuff!!!! hahahaha....and then walk away....that's the worst, don't "hover" because then you'll start to graze.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

That's the problem. I can't go for a run or workout today because this is happening over my lunch hour (when I would normally work out) and I'm supposed to go to another dinner party tonight (which I may skip, because I'm starting to come down with a cold). Maybe I'll just try for a longer run tomorrow.

The run doesn't have to be on the same day. Just make up for it somewhere in the week or by doing a more than you normally would. MFP leads you to think of weight loss as a daily thing, but it really isn't. I also look at weekly numbers through a spreadsheet.
  • dcglobalgirl
    Options
    Oh noooo!! I pigged out. I even had seconds. My portion sizes were definitely smaller than they would have been last year but I still ate more than I wanted. There was no salad or veg that wasn't smothered in cream sauce. And the sweet potato casserole (basically sweet potato crumble) was AMAZING! The only good thing is that I convinced everyone to get up and dance so at least I did about 30 minutes of fast dancing afterwards. Also, hoping to get home early enough to take my girls on a walk. We'll see.