What would you set your calorie intake as??

Options
If these were your stats:

- 29 years old
- Female
- 5' 3" tall
- 145 current weight
- Goal weight 125

TDEE is 1727 calories

What would you set your calorie limit to? Macros?

AND if you went over your TDEE calories for the day how much would you up your calorie intake??

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If these were your stats:

- 29 years old
    - Female
    - 5' 3" tall
    - 145 current weight
    - Goal weight 125

TDEE is 1727 calories

I would re-check TDEE using Katsch-McArdle with an estimate on bodyfat%. I would suspect 1720 to be too low.

But, if it IS correct I would set intake to 1400.
    What would you set your calorie limit to? Macros?

120p
    50f
    120c

Again, this assumes TDEE as you stated but I doubt your TDEE is that low. Depending on training experience and type, you may be able to reduce protein a bit more in favor of fat/CHO.
    AND if you went over your TDEE calories for the day how much would you up your calorie intake??

I don't understand this question.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    1380 roughly. Maybe round to 1400 for ****s and giggles.

From there, I'd eat back half of the calories I burned in exercise.

I'd set my Protein intake to 30%, carbohydrates at 45% and fat at 25%.

I'd set my sodium at 2500 mg and casually monitor my sugar intake.

I'd also lift heavy at the gym, choosing cardio only as a means to up my daily calorie intake when needed. That is unless I had a reason to require a healthier cardiovascular system. Since I do not have an intense cardiovascular hobby or lifestyle, I'd not need to train it.
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thank you Side Steel - I will recheck. I used fitness frog calculator and it was almost dead on my fitbit results as well.

The last part of the question is if I had a day that I burned more than my TDEE - say I actually burned 2200. Would you then up your caloric intake for the day or keep it the same.

Thank you for such a great response
  • Jess830409
    Options
    DanaDark - thank you :) Appreciate the help!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thank you Side Steel - I will recheck. I used fitness frog calculator and it was almost dead on my fitbit results as well.

The last part of the question is if I had a day that I burned more than my TDEE - say I actually burned 2200. Would you then up your caloric intake for the day or keep it the same.

That's somewhat of a tricky question to answer as it boils down to preference as well as trust in your numbers. For me, I have an estimate on TDEE and from there on out I do not even track exercise expenditure. My TDEE includes an estimate of expenditure collectively. In other words, over the course of weeks, my TDEE is fairly reliable. Obviously as with anyone, there is some variance as it's an estimate --- but that being said, I just eat to my goal intake and that is independent of what I burn each day.

That doesn't mean you can't try and manage it more closely and eat on a daily basis closer to your actual expenditure, but I don't find this to be necessary nor do I think it's inherently beneficial to do so provided your intake needs are reasonably accurate in both cases. And since the "static intake" method is simpler, I use it.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Similar stats to you except age. I am 5'4' 52 yo. SW=153 GW=130. I set mine to 1500 calories (TDEE, sedentary for goal weight), 30% fat, 20% protein, 50% carbs. Eat back exercise calories. Cardio 5X a week, strength trainig 2X a week Losing about .5 lbs per week and never hungry. 21 lbs down in 10 months.
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i think my stats were v similar to urs. im 5"3. i started at 10stone 2. now im 8stone 6 (118lvs) i eat 1200-1400 ish calories a day. i srarted fitness pal in aug. i do lots of walking about 1hr to a bit more per day most days.
  • Jess830409
    Options

That's somewhat of a tricky question to answer as it boils down to preference as well as trust in your numbers. For me, I have an estimate on TDEE and from there on out I do not even track exercise expenditure. My TDEE includes an estimate of expenditure collectively. In other words, over the course of weeks, my TDEE is fairly reliable. Obviously as with anyone, there is some variance as it's an estimate --- but that being said, I just eat to my goal intake and that is independent of what I burn each day.

That doesn't mean you can't try and manage it more closely and eat on a daily basis closer to your actual expenditure, but I don't find this to be necessary nor do I think it's inherently beneficial to do so provided your intake needs are reasonably accurate in both cases. And since the "static intake" method is simpler, I use it.
  • Jess830409
    Options
    That makes sense - thank you again! Very useful info
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Similar stats to you except age. I am 5'4' 52 yo. SW=153 GW=130. I set mine to 1500 calories (TDEE, sedentary for goal weight), 30% fat, 20% protein, 50% carbs. Eat back exercise calories. Cardio 5X a week, strength trainig 2X a week Losing about .5 lbs per week and never hungry. 21 lbs down in 10 months.

Excellent!! Really well done!! Losing weight slowly and doing strength training at the same time is the way to go. :happy: