Ice Hockey Off-Ice Training

Options
Hey guys,

I play ice hockey and I've been wondering if any hockey player out there knows some great off-ice trainings? Anything that will help me to build my speed, strength and overall game performance would be great.

I do running and some general fitness throughout the week, but i'm looking to change for a fitness that will for sure complement my performance on ice, since I'm working my way through to the women's league! :)

Replies

• ezzziii_candoit
    Options
    No one playing hockey? Okay :(
  • kirstyk84
    kirstyk84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My Dad has been an ice-hockey coach for years and all his players have went to spin classes which improves their stamina and in turn their performance on the ice. Highly recommended as it increases your stamina and allows your body to adapt to frequent changes of pace, as you would on the ice :smile:
  • ezzziii_candoit
    Options
    I'll give it a try if I find a class near me :) Thanks for the advice!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Core strength training will help a lot. Builds stamina, should increase your speed and power.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a good place to start.

--P
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ahha! Finally, someone asking about the area I've focused on.

ezzziii, I'm a personal trainer who's focus is high performance athletics and explosive training.

Besides Being ACE certified, I'm also certified with the US Olympic Weight Lifting Team as a coach, and I've certified with Swift fitness for AQR (Agility, Quickness, and Reaction time). I was a college football player and Rugby player.

If you want to PM me, we can talk about what your goals are, what your timeline is, and where you're at right now. I'd be happy to help. While weight lifting and core training are always good, there are specific exercises and routines that can really help athletes that need a unique combination of explosive movements and endurance that you don't get from standard classes and training routines. That's where someone like me can really help.

-Banks
  • ezzziii_candoit
    Options
    Thank you for your reply! I sent you a PM explaining a bit more on what i'm looking for and working towards to :)