Need Advice

Options
What work out do you think works the best for loosing weight! I know the work out that you do is the best but right now I'm struggling with Insanity, think its hard on my 55yr old joints? Or is it

I have done all of the below including 1 on 1 trainer except P90X

Tae Bo full library and loved doing it
The Firm all of the different programs this was with using a step
Turbo Jam all turbo parties and then some
Slim in 6

ChaLean
Insanity this is what I'm struggling with now.

My weight has gone up from 130 to 165 in the last 25 years yet I still fit in 8's and 10's

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The best workout for weight loss is the one that you do when you put your fork down and push back from the table. Weight loss if mostly about your eating habits. Fitness is about what you do.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    [img]http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/qb.php?T="Dont take advice from emoticons."&s=2[/img]
    :wink:

Should you take this advice?
  • shell22holmes
    Options
    Do the one that makes you feel the best afterwards......
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss is diet, exercise is fitness... weight training is the best at maintaining your metabolism and muscle mass.
  • Gailhewitt
    Options
    I have gained 20 pounds and aquired a belly. I can't do sit ups because I had major sirgery on my liver and they cut thru my stomach muscles. What would be a good way to get rid of my belly fat?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I have gained 20 pounds and aquired a belly. I can't do sit ups because I had major sirgery on my liver and they cut thru my stomach muscles. What would be a good way to get rid of my belly fat?

A calorie deficit and time. You can spot reduce. The only thing you can do is build the muscles in your stomach again.
  • Gailhewitt
    Options
    Thanks!:smile:
  • FitEndAg_i
    Options
    from one 55 year older to another ... how 'bout riding a bike or should I say, exercising on a bike? I started exercising on a good ole single speed bicycle, ya know, one we had in our youths. My target heart rate is 140 - 145 beats per minute for 25 of my 50 minute ride each morning. I was hypertensive, overweight and was heading in the wrong direction. I've lost approx. 30 lbs., lowered my B/P, resting heart rate is in the 60's, and just generally feel a bit more youthful. Oh yea, I keep an eye on what I eat, almost no fast-food, just good, simple, well-balanced meals. You can check out Harvard Health Plate, better than USDA MyPlate, no political pressure on the former. Stop by and check out our group, "A Spirit of Fitness." We'll talk of many things and regress a bit, you know toward a wise ole youngster!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    BTW, of your choices, I like CLX the most. And you can modify it to your level as demonstrated by the 60 yr old in the program.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

calorie deficit!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    What work out do you think works the best for loosing weight! I know the work out that you do is the best but right now I'm struggling with Insanity, think its hard on my 55yr old joints? Or is it

I have done all of the below including 1 on 1 trainer except P90X

Tae Bo full library and loved doing it
    The Firm all of the different programs this was with using a step
    Turbo Jam all turbo parties and then some
    Slim in 6

ChaLean
    Insanity this is what I'm struggling with now.

My weight has gone up from 130 to 165 in the last 25 years yet I still fit in 8's and 10's

It's 80% diet, 20% exercise! Stick to your calorie goal and keep your protein count up there (80 to 100 g). You've been doing some great workouts...but they are more of a circuit training nature. I would suggest some weight lifting with a weights that challenges you (if you can do 12 reps it's too light). Strength training and body weight exercises are awesome as well. Do compound moves - pushups, pullups, bench press, overhead press, squats and lunges. Try reading the 'new rules of lifting for women' for more info and idea. I'm just about your age I'm 54. I find that some of these new breeds of DVD's are a bit too intense for me...I have to modify.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and I've been alternating days with 60 minutes of interval training on an elliptical with days of a 60 minute kettlebell workout. My weight loss plan (and I agree with the posters above who pointed out that weight loss is really about your diet) has me at a projected 1 lb a week loss. I don't eat back hardly any of my exercise calories, so all that extra work may be what's behind the 1.5 lb a week loss I've been consistently having the last 3 months.
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    P90X is sooo much easier on your joints! I've done Insanity, P90X and P90X2. All of them are great workouts but P90X has a lot less jumping and moves that are hard on your joints.