Lifting Heavy weights to lose weight

Options
13»

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy, Circuit train 30 minutes, followed by cardio for 30 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday. On Saturday I full-body strength train using machines for 1.5 hours followed by 30 minutes of cardio. (I am slowly increasing the weight as I go) I try to fit in yard work or walking or just plain being active on the days in between. My progress may not be as fast as most people would like but I see definite changes. I've lost 10 pounds in 4 months and am on the verge of dropping a pant size. I feel better than I have in a really long time, I am already starting to look better and I am enjoying my life. I feel my routine and my weight loss is sustainable.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So all signs point to lifting... But now the questoin - what constitutes lifting and how much is enough???
    that's the beauty of something like strong lifts because everyone starts off at the same weight (the bar) that way newbs can make sure they get the form right before adding crazy weight and everyone can feel good about themselves about the progress in strength they make.

with strong lifts you start off with the empty bar (or some other easy amount for you) then each time you do the routine you add another 5 pounds. maybe at first you arent lifting heavy, but you are getting used to the movements and before you know it (assuming there are no stalls) you can be lifting some very heavy weights

Isn't a barbell like 45 pounds? What if you can't lift that with good form? Wouldn't it be better for a newbie that's a total weakling to start lower than that? :blushing: Personally, I started with 3 pound weights, then moved up to 5 pounds and will be doing ten pounds. But I don't have any "official" type of weights anyway. I just find things around the house and weigh them to see what I can lift. :bigsmile:

ETA: The most I was able to do was a Rubbermaid tub that I discovered weighed 58 pounds, but I could only lift it twice, then I couldn't get it off the floor again. :blushing:

You can adapt until you are strong enough.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I think you should focus more on aerobic exercises for now.
    . However, gaining muscles helps you burn more fat. You can lift! I encourage you , but lifting alone will not help
    But yeah, aerobics is the way to go and once your body gets pretty lean, lift hard and look sexy.
    Good luck!
    not true

What part of it?

the part about lifting alone not helping
    as well as doing cardio until you "look lean"and then lifting.

one of the main reasons to lift progressively heavier weights when you're losing weight, especially if you have a significant amount of weight to lose, is that it helps you retain more of your muscle as you lose weight. that way lifting weight and eating moderately below your TDEE ensure s that most of what you burn is fat. doing cardio alone won't ensure that because muscle is active tissue and requires more energy for your body to upkeep. if you arent eating enough calories AND you arent progressively overloading the muscles then your body has no reason to not start burning off a higher percentage of muscle that it normally would.
    And here's a PubMed study which backs up exactly what meshashesha20's saying:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    BuMp
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

If i keep a calorie deficit, do cardio, but keep lifting weights as my main focus, do you think this could help me with my goals? More than anything I just want to lose body fat & in the end I want to be really toned and fit.

Help? It sounds perfect to me.

Your programme matches your goals. Just as it should be...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So all signs point to lifting... But now the questoin - what constitutes lifting and how much is enough???
    that's the beauty of something like strong lifts because everyone starts off at the same weight (the bar) that way newbs can make sure they get the form right before adding crazy weight and everyone can feel good about themselves about the progress in strength they make.

with strong lifts you start off with the empty bar (or some other easy amount for you) then each time you do the routine you add another 5 pounds. maybe at first you arent lifting heavy, but you are getting used to the movements and before you know it (assuming there are no stalls) you can be lifting some very heavy weights

Isn't a barbell like 45 pounds? What if you can't lift that with good form? Wouldn't it be better for a newbie that's a total weakling to start lower than that? :blushing: Personally, I started with 3 pound weights, then moved up to 5 pounds and will be doing ten pounds. But I don't have any "official" type of weights anyway. I just find things around the house and weigh them to see what I can lift. :bigsmile:

ETA: The most I was able to do was a Rubbermaid tub that I discovered weighed 58 pounds, but I could only lift it twice, then I couldn't get it off the floor again. :blushing:

That's good. I feel like I am improving, but it's hard to know for sure since I'm not doing a "real" program with "real" weights.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just to keep in mind- if you eat at a deficit AND do a ton of cardio.... you won't really gain much muscle because you will be burning muscle along with fat during cardio. I'd back off on the cardio a little bit if you're doing a ton of it.
  • RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later really interested in this ... just need to do the food shop 1st lol
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    51KdsXvCQML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

will
    change
    your
    life
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    51KdsXvCQML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

will
    change
    your
    life

AGREED
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the other posts, but yes - you can lift and have a deficit and lose and get strong. That's what I'm doing. Since starting weight lifting in Sept, I've lost 10 lbs -- hopefully mostly fat. I initially started to avoid losing muscle, but now I'm addicted. During these last few months, I have done very little cardio (many weeks nothing but lifting -- I lift 3X/week). I used to be a cardio queen (ages ago), but seriously if I don't HAVE to do cardio to lose, I won't! lol Right now I'm doing cardio (running) only for endurance since I'm running a half marathon in March.

I am doing the program outlined in the New Rules of Fitness for Women. I really love it, although if you've never been in a gym before, some folks are initimidated to get started. For example, I had to google what a squat rack looked like. I had weight trained quite differently in the past -- mostly on machines and never lifting more than a 10lb dumbbell.

I eat a 20% deficit and it's been working for me. On lift days, I eat all my exercise calories, so on those days I eat between 1700-1900 calories. So far I think it's working. I have lost weight consistently, my muscles are starting to show, and I'm A LOT stronger.

Good luck and have fun!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

In addition to my 45lb olympic bar I also have a 1" bar that weighs 15lb that uses the same weights I have for my dumbbell handles.

Lots of gyms also have the already put together bars with weights on them at a variety of weights.

If you can't lift the bar you can start with dumbbells.

There are lots of ways to get started. There are lots of excuses not to do it at all.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Check out this MFP group, it's a great place to get plenty of info on this. Best of luck to you & congrats on your progress so far!!
    :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to get started. There are lots of excuses not to do it at all.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

That's good. I feel like I am improving, but it's hard to know for sure since I'm not doing a "real" program with "real" weights.

just remember that "real' weight are actually just simulations of normal stuff people would use before gyms. so dont feel like you have to use traditional weights.

i'm sure you can get the same type workout using stuff like sandbags, storage bins, old tires, and actual people. in fact now that i can deadlift more than my bodyweights, i've been wanting to practice deadlifting a person i dont know if anyone would let me though. sonsidering i'm not so gentle when i let the weights down :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

just remember that "real' weight are actually just simulations of normal stuff people would use before gyms. so dont feel like you have to use traditional weights.

i'm sure you can get the same type workout using stuff like sandbags, storage bins, old tires, and actual people. in fact now that i can deadlift more than my bodyweights, i've been wanting to practice deadlifting a person i dont know if anyone would let me though. sonsidering i'm not so gentle when i let the weights down :laugh:

Squatting with someone weighing 200lb+ slung over your shoulder is fun - a bit hard to go *kitten* to grass though - their feet keep hitting the ground!
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic, great advice on here going to take a read through later :).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

what about deadlifting the back of a car? one day when i'm strong enough that will be fun to try. the only problem would be the difference in grip, so instead of overhand it would be underhand which i never do.
    Squatting with someone weighing 200lb+ slung over your shoulder is fun - a bit hard to go *kitten* to grass though - their feet keep hitting the ground!
  • littlebutnice
    littlebutnice Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great thread