Body and Fruit Shapes

What is with the obsession with fruit shapes compared to body shape? One cannot control how the body distributes or burns fat, so why concern oneself with assigning a fruit to one's shape? Help me understand this, please.

Replies

• Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    I'm definitely not concerned about it or fascinated but when I am bored off my booty its fun to do calculators like that. Holyrunonsentence
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    What is with the obsession with fruit shapes compared to body shape? One cannot control how the body distributes or burns fat, so why concern oneself with assigning a fruit to one's shape? Help me understand this, please.

This would get filed under "completely useless dietary crap that was never supported by anything but people unfortunately believe anyways".

I'd put the blood type diet and hundreds of other methods in the same file.
  • It's to sell chick magazines, isn't it? It's a glorified "DOES HE REALLY LIKE YOU?" quiz.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member

This would get filed under "completely useless dietary crap that was never supported by anything but people unfortunately believe anyways".

O- and shaped like a bundle of grapes

What foods should I eat?
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member

So you're saying that although I'm a banana, I can still eat carbs?!?! *Mind Blown*
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Cucumber
  • Poopsnacks.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    It's just shorthand for some general body shapes, and fruit is something most people recognize. Like, if I want to see what my goal weight might look like, I want to see someone with a similar body type- athletic with a big butt! A girl with weight on top and I will look nothing alike, and so her pics would not help me visualize my goals. I can just call out for advice from pear-shaped ladies, rather than describe the whole shebang.

Also, it's helpful for figuring out what clothes or styles work on your body type- like "hey pears, think twice before rocking those white high-waisted skinny jeans!" There are all these fashion books my mom used to have that divided women's body types into 4 general shapes and told you which styles of clothes would work on them. It was hilarious- instead of fruit, it used letters "HOAX."
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I resembled a pear. No, this does NOT change the way I diet, or exercise.

It does change the way I shop. I buy "curvy" jeans and usually need a belt to pull in the extra material at the waist.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    It's just a guide for how you should dress your body shape. Not to be taken too seriously ;)
  • CJ_Holmes
    Wait, are you saying people use the fruit shapes to dictate their diet? I had no idea! I thought it was just descriptive. That is funny.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I think it's silly too. Why such emphasis on defining a woman's shape. Who cares, really.
  • So, it's helpful in choosing how to dress. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    *licks paw*
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Imma Kumquat
  • SideSteel
    Wait, are you saying people use the fruit shapes to dictate their diet? I had no idea! I thought it was just descriptive. That is funny.

There are people who believe that their body shape (somatotype) play a role in food selection/diet.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member

There are people who believe that their body shape (somatotype) play a role in food selection/diet.

GAH! what happens when they cross reference it with the blood type diet???
    MAYHEM.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

Some women do say "I'm an apple so I need to do lots of core workouts, and follow the 'flat belly' diet" or "I'm a pear so I shouldn't lift lower body". Both of which are silly.
  • SideSteel

Some women do say "I'm an apple so I need to do lots of core workouts, and follow the 'flat belly' diet" or "I'm a pear so I shouldn't lift lower body". Both of which are silly.

You have a nice shape. Perhaps we could name some fruit after you....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    must be boring being a boy. you're all pretty much shaped the same.

knowing your body type plays a huge role in the type of clothes you should wear. what looks good on an apple shape will not look good on a pear and will not look good on a ruler.

i doubt many people believe there's a role body shape plays in dietary choices. every one i know who talks about that shape in terms of fruit only mentions it in terms of trying to figure out what the heck to wear so they can look their best
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    It's all to look good for the males...
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    It's to sell chick magazines, isn't it? It's a glorified "DOES HE REALLY LIKE YOU?" quiz.

^^^This 100%, it sells magazines. I used to be one of the masses buying them.
  • CJ_Holmes
    It's all to look good for the males...

Speak for yourself! We lady-lovers dress to impress as well.