The fear of enjoying the holidays

I just wanted to put this out there regarding all of the talk regarding the Thanksgiving holidays.

The fear of the holidays isn't that a single day will cause you to be fat.

The fear of the holidays is just a single instance of a world of fears that comes from being overweight. This is especially true for the morbidly obese.

I didn't get to be over 500 pounds because I ate too much on Thanksgiving. I ate too much every day.

For those that stress to enjoy it.... "EAT ALL THE FOODS!", you are right. We should be able to allow ourselves the pleasure of enjoying it. Food is a part of living, and a beautiful part. The thing is, when you are morbidly obese, it isn't pleasurable. A holiday like this can be some sort of self punishment. If you don't have the confidence that you can lose the weight, if you feel you are disgusting, if you literally hate yourself, eating is rarely about pleasure. It is about giving up.

Telling yourself that you can possibly lose 250 pounds on a day when you feel like you should be punishing yourself sounds ludicrous. This is the mentality that keeps us fat.

In your mind, you are fat, disgusting, and not worth much. Why on earth should you not just eat yourself into oblivion? You don't deserve any better, do you?

The thing is, you do. As you progress towards your goals your relationship with food improves. you actually enjoy eating more than you ever did when you were at your largest. It can seem counter intuitive.

For those who want to eat all the food! Be happy! You have developed the confidence and you know that you can overcome these issues even if you aren't there yet. To you it is just a day.

For those still struggling, slow it down. It isn't an example of your failures. It really is just another day. Don't see not binging as a punishment. See it as something you can overcome. The key thing is, DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP about what happens on that one day. It is just a day. You can overcome this. It you just don't quit, you will overcome it.

It won't happen on some set time schedule. you don't have to wake up every morning with the soundtrack to Rocky playing in your head as you run to the gym and have your own last chance workout. Just get up, and do more than you did the day before while eating less. If you eat too much, then accept it, and move forward.

The holidays are about celebrating with your friends and family. This one in particular is about being thankful for what we have.

You are alive. Be thankful. Live.

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    I love this, and I love you.

As always, you hit the nail on the head. I'm so glad to call you a friend.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    You are amazing! and so right - its a great thing to learn to have a healthy relationship with food!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member

I didn't get to be over 500 pounds because I ate too much on Thanksgiving. I ate too much every day.

^^^^^THIS, 100% TRUTH. I will be enjoying Thanksgiving this year as now I feel that I can enjoy the food without needing it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    This is the kind of clear-headedness that MFP simply won't tolerate.
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    You have mad writing skills! This is so true.

Well done my friend!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Exactly right and eloquently written. I am so proud of you and I love you :flowerforyou:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    HOSS:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Hoss you rock. I adore you.

This is well said.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Hoss, the Boss!
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    well said!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,089 Member
    :flowerforyou:

I would add: Eat all the foods, but most of all, enjoy the time with your family and friends
    food is important on that they, but it's not the most important thing
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    This is the kind of clear-headedness that MFP simply won't tolerate.

Agreed.

This thread makes too much sense for MFP main boards
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Thank you. This is awesome.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,725 Member
    So very well said Hoss.

Blessings to you and yours!
  • Love this!!! Excellent post.
  • sylwheat
    sylwheat Posts: 125
    Your are so the man !! I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: you !!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Thank you. Very well said.
  • REPORTED
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    The key thing is, DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP about what happens on that one day. It is just a day. You can overcome this. It you just don't quit, you will overcome it.

This... 100% this... once you over come this holidays are NOT that bad honest.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    :drinker: :drinker: Excellent post hoss!!!!