Working out while caring for loved ones...

Options
Anyone have any ideas on how to walk or exercise while caring for my Mother?? She has dementia so I can't leave her by herself anywhere. I have 30 day shred on DVD but she does not have a DVD player at her home. Maybe I could bring mine over, but the space is still limited near her television.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can get a cheap DVD player at Walmart for less than $30. I'd get one to leave at her place.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have actually thought of that....I could make it a Christmas gift!! Her living room is just VERY tiny to try to work out in...but I may try some sit ups or jogging in place..jumping jacks might make me knock stuff off walls!
  • Dont make excuses. Move furniture and bring your DVD player.

Weird but, are you able to run around her place. When I need to get a workout in and I am taking care of my child I run around our house for 20 mins while she chases me.
  • joislosingit
    joislosingit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You can do this B. Have a look at the Leslie Sansone walking at home DVD's too, they are designed to do in a limited space. What about one of those portable DVD players? You can set up then pack away - and your mum can watch it anywhere too!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you are able to work out with light weights, you might purchase a small set of handweights and do arm exercies, lunges, etc while using the weights. These can be very effective and require very little space. You might also keep a yoga mat rolled up in your mother's closet or under the bed for ab work on the floor.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    No, really, the walls are too close together...lol..

But that's not a bad idea! I can go outside and check on her or have her sit on the porch! Her neighbors have a HUGE field that I could still SEE from...sweet..thanks.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    You can do this B. Have a look at the Leslie Sansone walking at home DVD's too, they are designed to do in a limited space. What about one of those portable DVD players? You can set up then pack away - and your mum can watch it anywhere too!

I have been hearing about this Leslie lady...may need to check her out!! I think I'm going with the "get her a DVD player for Christmas"...she'll be delighted and I'll be happy watching a video!
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    If you are able to work out with light weights, you might purchase a small set of handweights and do arm exercies, lunges, etc while using the weights. These can be very effective and require very little space. You might also keep a yoga mat rolled up in your mother's closet or under the bed for ab work on the floor.

Excellent! YES! I need to pick up some weights for my Jillian video (been using soup cans lol!) and I can just bring my yoga mat over!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Excellent! YES! I need to pick up some weights for my Jillian video (been using soup cans lol!) and I can just bring my yoga mat over!

If you have the yoga mat you can also do planks, yoga poses, and all kinds of things. It sounds like you got a lot of good suggestions with the workout dvds too. Good luck--and your mother is very lucky to have you.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I started my own 'Walk in Place' workout. No DVD player required. A yoga mat, some exercise bands and a little imagination LOL are all that's required. I got books from the library to learn form and technique. Stretching is easy anywhere. I do wall push-ups. And lots of floor exercises. Abs (eeww) I skip the jogging and jumping.
    I incorporated other moves while walking. Fast ,slow, dance moves,air punching whatever. I get a real sweat going, And really get my heart pumping. Usually I watch TV while doing it. i started with 15 minutes and worked up to an hour and a half. I pretty much hit every muscle group. It takes a bit of getting used to. Walking in place uses different muscles, or uses the same muscles differently. Not sure which. Hope this helps. Luck:smile:
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options

If you have the yoga mat you can also do planks, yoga poses, and all kinds of things. It sounds like you got a lot of good suggestions with the workout dvds too. Good luck--and your mother is very lucky to have you.

Yoga poses...yeah, I'll have to check those out! Thank you!
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    I started my own 'Walk in Place' workout. No DVD player required. A yoga mat, some exercise bands and a little imagination LOL are all that's required. I got books from the library to learn form and technique. Stretching is easy anywhere. I do wall push-ups. And lots of floor exercises. Abs (eeww) I skip the jogging and jumping.
    I incorporated other moves while walking. Fast ,slow, dance moves,air punching whatever. I get a real sweat going, And really get my heart pumping. Usually I watch TV while doing it. i started with 15 minutes and worked up to an hour and a half. I pretty much hit every muscle group. It takes a bit of getting used to. Walking in place uses different muscles, or uses the same muscles differently. Not sure which. Hope this helps. Luck:smile:

I've thought of this...then thought, sheesh, I have no idea what moves to do. I guess a little studying online and remembering videos, workout classes and such that I've taken may work. Floor exercises...definitely have to google that and see what comes up..maybe make my own routine! Thanks for the idea!