Reducing body fat %

Options
So I'm at a point now where I would like to focus on reducing body fat % rather than the number on the scale. I am 5'10" and 145 and according to an online calculator am about 25.8% body fat. I would love to get down to like 18-20%. So, is there anything different I should be doing to achieve this than what one would typically do to simply loose weight? I eat usually 1300-1400 cals and am generally a very healthy eater. I do strength training classes 3x per week for an hour each and run about 6-7 miles per week. Other than that, during the work week, I am very sedentary (desk job), but am more active on the weekends. I do try to get in a good amount of protein, but often fall short. Is this a point where I should start really focusing on my macros? Can anyone suggest what would be good carb, fat, protein percentages for my goal? Should I be doing different types or more exercise? Thanks in advance for any advise!

Replies

• BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    anyone?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    So, you're not trying to actually lose weight anymore?

Then you need to up your calories (which are pretty low for how much you workout), and hit the heavy strength training instead of so much cardio. What kind of weight training classes do you do, like Body Pump? If so those are really very cardio-based (not saying they are bad, just saying they burn a lot of calories w/ low weights). If you really want to see your body fat reduce and your shape change, you should ditch the excess cardio and focus on 3x a week full body weight lifting. Something like "New Rules of Lifting for Women" would be a good start.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Then you need to up your calories (which are pretty low for how much you workout), and hit the heavy strength training instead of so much cardio. What kind of weight training classes do you do, like Body Pump? If so those are really very cardio-based (not saying they are bad, just saying they burn a lot of calories w/ low weights). If you really want to see your body fat reduce and your shape change, you should ditch the excess cardio and focus on 3x a week full body weight lifting. Something like "New Rules of Lifting for Women" would be a good start.

Can i get a hallelloooyuh!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

^^^Actually what she said!!!!!!!!! Give this girl an A+
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I fully support and back what the others said! The girl was spot on. yes, focus on your macros. And yes, eat more! And congrats on ditching this scale obsession.. hard mind set to change but the sooner you do, the sooner you can start to make some serious improvements :drinker:
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think there may be a group doing 'New Rules for Lifting' on here. I have a couple of friends who do it, but I haven't actually started it myself yet. I have been impressed by what I've seen though. Good luck to you!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat at a small calorie deficit and strength train.

Macros should always be focussed on imo:

1g of protein per lb of LBM
    0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight
    Fit the rest in where you like based on preference and performance.

ETA: Also look into Starting Strength and Stronglifts (as well as NROL4W as noted above)
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yep...perfect reply. Also look into getting a DXA Scan. Costs about $85 but it's super accurate way to test your body fat % and has the added benefit of also letting you know how your bone density is doing.

Lifting Weights will increase your muscle weight which will decrease your body fat % even if you don't lose fat but good lifting usually does a great job of burning fat.

Key is start slow and don't do the entire body at one workout and after a couple of weeks as you get used to the lifting start pushing to increase your weights while limiting your reps to 8 to 10.

Good luck!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said - up your calories to about 250 or 375 calories below maintenance. Most women I train at your size and activity level maintain weight eating 2200 to 2300. Your exercise regimen should typically be close to what you'd do during body composition maintenance. So ditch the excessive cardio and focus on weight training 4-5 days per week with one or two being HIIT sessions. You want a small deficit from calories and similar exercise volume to maintenance because it will make transitioning to maintenance far easier with much less stress on your endocrine system as well as psychi.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Great, thank you for the responses. The classes I take now do have quite a bit of lifting with some cardio. I'm definitely going to look into lifting more though and upping my calories. I'm not a gym member though at the moment, so will have to improvise until I can look into joining again.
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I fully support and back what the others said! The girl was spot on. yes, focus on your macros. And yes, eat more! And congrats on ditching this scale obsession.. hard mind set to change but the sooner you do, the sooner you can start to make some serious improvements :drinker:

I've made these changes recently and it has been incredible. Lifting more weight is ten times more satisfying than watching tiny numbers on the scale go down.... and my body is already looking stronger and leaner.