cant eat my Calories

Options
Hi
I really struggle to eat my daily Calories.. I'm always about 500 under due to having so many added on from exercise.. any tips on how to increase my calories intake. I honestly feel like I'm non stop eating
THANKS

Replies

• jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You should open your diary so we can get a better idea of what you ARE eating and what you can add to your diet.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so we can help.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Eat nutritious, but more calorie-dense foods like nuts, seeds, nut butters, eggs, dark chocolate, cheese, avocados, oils added to cooking or salads. Avoid foods labelled "low fat" or "lite", have the full-fat alternatives. You can also drink your calories in the form of smoothies, protein shakes, milk and nut milks.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Exercise less, problem solved.

If you can't eat it don't burn it. If you burn it then eat it.

Have peanut butter or a handful of nuts, ditch anything 'low fat' or 'low cal' diet food and eat real food, eat more of whatever you are eating. Put Mayonnaise on your sandwiches, use full calorie dressing on your salad, have desert... eat a chocolate bar. Save some extra calories for your 'rest days' no one says you have to eat all the calories in one day - average over a week instead.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    A chocolate bar pre/post exercise and some cheese added to a meal would easily bump me up 500 calories.

How are you calculating calorie burn?

MFP is notorious for over-estimating, so you might not need as many extra as you think.

Also, what's your deficit set at in relation to your TDEE?
  • faireplay
    Options
    None of us ended up over weight because we couldn't eat enough. Are you eating a bunch of fat free stuff? Any time you see "fat free" or "sugar free" on a product it is going to be loaded with chemicals and other garbage. Eat full fat foods, eat avocados, throw in an extra teaspoon of olive oil when you cook. This are all healthy ways to bump up your calorie count.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary you'll get better feedback! How many calories is your goal? What type of exercises are you doing? Do you wear a HRM to get a better idea of exercises calories burned? How accurate are you at logging your meals? How much weight have you lost so far?

I have always found peanut butter, nuts, avocados, and olive oil to be a great calorie booster.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    None of us ended up over weight because we couldn't eat enough. Are you eating a bunch of fat free stuff? Any time you see "fat free" or "sugar free" on a product it is going to be loaded with chemicals and other garbage. Eat full fat foods, eat avocados, throw in an extra teaspoon of olive oil when you cook. This are all healthy ways to bump up your calorie count.

that first line is what I always want to say but don't want to offend anyone. I really feel like anyone who complains about not being able to eat all their calories is full of crap. I understand sometimes getting busy and not having time to eat, on occasion, but in general, you did not become overweight by not eating enough. seriously.

Make smart choices. a lof of people I see on here that say they can't make their calories are skimping on breakfast (if they're having it at all). Huge mistake. If you have trouble getting in your calories divide your meals up into a certain number of calories. If you are eating 3 meals a day (no snacks) then you should have 400 calories per meal if your goal is 1200 calories. that means 400 calorie breakfast. I personally eat 6 times a day usually (3 meals plus 3 snacks) and it has worked for me. You have to feed your body to get it to do what you want it to, including losing weight.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    On the 'fat free' - there is this:
    free.png

Mars Milk is advertised as 'low fat' or whatever because it's full of sugars, for instance.

And 'everything' is 'full of chemicals' ;).
  • faireplay
    Options
    Well, yes even our fruits are full of cemicals
    if you aren't absolutely certain that what you buy is organic BUT I figure why add to the damage by knowingly putting in stuff like aspartame and olestra? And honestly the real stuff just tastes better. :-D
    *spoken like the fat foodie that I am*
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    On the 'fat free' - there is this:
    free.png

Seriously. Like when fruity candies are advertised as fat free. Well, duh...
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Indeed the fruits are , this is my favourite copy and paste on here:

An ingredients list for something a bit scary...
    water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.

An (organic) orange!

Yes, 'stuff' is made out of 'chemicals' :). Go into deep space and you can get away from it a fair bit - but soon find that 'chemicals' are actually quite useful.

Me, I have no problem with Aspartame, so I eat/drink.
    Sure, real coke tastes better, but when I went to bed after 3am and still got up at the normal time, I need a stimulant and would much prefer to be drinking coke zero to 150kc coke all day. And I enjoy it a lot more than water.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

This.

Also, drinking milk (even skim) is an easy nutritious way to get some healthy calories, even if you feel full.
  • kiwiam
    Options
    Firstly I understand I got this way from over eating and being on bed rest during pregnancy so it is my own fault. Secondly I don't skip meals. I also don't plan to give up exercise or reducing the amount I do as I am really enjoying it and finding I have a lot more energy. Yesterday due to swimming and a two hour walk my calories where set at 1,978! I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables as thats what I like. I'm eating 3 meals a day and two big snacks.
  • faireplay
    Options
    Everyone has their argument for why they do/don't do something. I personally don't drink soda at all so sugar free vs, regular soda, it's irrelevant. I have my own vices that are not good for my health, that just isn't one of them.
    OP sounds as if there is no need for her to be eating fat free or sugar free anything. She needs to boost her calories.
    And I suppose I should have said synthetic chemicals to be more precise. I'm fairly certain most folks got what I was referring to though.
    But the bottom line is, whenever possible you are still better off to choose a food that has less synthetic garbage in it.
  • Dodgers33089
    Options

water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.

An (organic) orange!

Yes, 'stuff' is made out of 'chemicals' :). Go into deep space and you can get away from it a fair bit - but soon find that 'chemicals' are actually quite useful.

Sure, real coke tastes better, but when I went to bed after 3am and still got up at the normal time, I need a stimulant and would much prefer to be drinking coke zero to 150kc coke all day. And I enjoy it a lot more than water.

I don't see any problem with that orange....I read the types of saccharides (the building blocks of carbohydrates), the location of the linkages within the carbohydrate, phytochemicals, vitamins and other essential coenzymes/cofactors, many types of glycosides commonly found in plants, enzymes necessary for the existence of life, types of flavonoids, and I can go on and on

In short, the ingredient list described the biochemistry of the orange. There is nothing to fear from that organic orange (except possible pathogens on it's surface, rinse!)
  • geebusuk
    Options
    In short, the ingredient list described the biochemistry of the orange. There is nothing to fear from that organic orange (except possible pathogens on it's surface, rinse!)
    Indeed; and all 'chemicals', which people seem to think should be avoided by definition because they are 'chemicals'.

Thus I quite happily eat and drink things people tell me are bad because they are "full of chemicals" :).
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options

An (organic) orange!

I don't see any problem with that orange....I read the types of saccharides (the building blocks of carbohydrates), the location of the linkages within the carbohydrate, phytochemicals, vitamins and other essential coenzymes/cofactors, many types of glycosides commonly found in plants, enzymes necessary for the existence of life, types of flavonoids, and I can go on and on

Anyone else think science talk is sexy? Lmao.
  • faireplay
    Options
    Indeed; and all 'chemicals', which people seem to think should be avoided by definition because they are 'chemicals'.

Thus I quite happily eat and drink things people tell me are bad because they are "full of chemicals" :).

Good luck with that....having a grand kid whose development and behavior is severely affected by his diet I prefer to err on the side of caution. I'm still working on eliminating all the fake stuff though. At worst, I will have to say "Oh damn, I missed out on some yummy aspartame" because while you may feel they do no harm, I am fairly certain there aren't any benefits to eating Frankenfoods either.
  • lisalocum
    Options
    I wanted to ask if it is really a problem to not eat all the calories you are allocated? I'm not technically overweight, I just want to get back to the weight I felt my healthiest at. I am naturally small built and all of my family are very light, so BMI and things like that tend to give me a low number, even when I know I'm out of shape. I've been given 1200Cals per day, and have only recently started logging what I eat. Although I have changed my diet to healthier foods (a lot of fruit, veg, nuts and lean meat) I still eat at the same frequency and quantity, yet I'm consuming only around 1000 Cal per day or usually slightly less. I don't usually have much at breakfast beyond a coffee, but eat something an hour or so later (I feel sick if I eat as soon as I've awoken).

This site keeps telling me I'm not eating enough, but is that really a problem? I know people talk about going into starvation mode and not losing weight if they don't eat enough, but lets be honest, in extreme cases such as anorexia, low calorie intake certainly doesn't stop people losing weight! I feel full after I eat, and satisfied at the end of the day, so should I continue as I am, or add more Cals? Any thoughts?

Thanks!