lifting and losing

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help. My TDEE is based on age weight height I believe. I had a friend get all my info and calculate it for me so I'm not certain. Would I need to use a heart rate moniter to figure out TDEE the other way? (I'm sure I can do some research online and figure it out on my own. as far as activity level I do usually do lightly active (however I have 2 toddler boys so pretty active.) I will look into decreasing my deficit and checking into my TDEE thank you!

HRM won't be useful outside steady-state aerobic exercise, ie your walking. It would be useful to allow you to jog up to the top of your Active Recovery HR zone, that's still not causing undo stress on muscle still trying to repair from the lifting, just helps with blood flow. But don't worry about it otherwise.

To better nail your activity level, and get that better BMR and TDEE by estimating BF%, use the spreadsheet in this link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    Give it a few more weeks. I began weight training and while I saw great results, the weight didn't move for a month. I was worried as well but it the weight did start to drop in the 5th week. Just make sure you are eating enough.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Most of the advice hear sounds pretty good. It's frusterating to lose slowly, but keep on sticking it out, it will happen.

Also, I find that I lose weight/inches in chunks. As in, I won't see a loss for 2-3 weeks, and then bam! All the sudden a couple inches and pounds are gone. I've read before that weight loss isn't linear, and I find that to be pretty true, which is kinda frusterating when you weren't blessed with lots of patience (like, me!).
  • matthew8387
    Options
    lifting is essential to weight loss! you have to get those muscles working to tone them, and use that connective tissue and get it used to being worked

i didnt read the entire post, but are you taking supplements?

only 2 weeks so just keep it up, it takes about a month for you to notice change, then all of a sudden you will notice it, trust me!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Edit: I just re-read and saw that you're at TDEE -25%. If it were me I might bump that back a little to -15 or -20% at most.

You definitely need to eat more PLUS make sure you're checking your inches as well! That is what really determines progress!
  • emandlukeplusone
    emandlukeplusone Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help. My TDEE is based on age weight height I believe. I had a friend get all my info and calculate it for me so I'm not certain. Would I need to use a heart rate moniter to figure out TDEE the other way? (I'm sure I can do some research online and figure it out on my own. as far as activity level I do usually do lightly active (however I have 2 toddler boys so pretty active.) I will look into decreasing my deficit and checking into my TDEE thank you!

HRM won't be useful outside steady-state aerobic exercise, ie your walking. It would be useful to allow you to jog up to the top of your Active Recovery HR zone, that's still not causing undo stress on muscle still trying to repair from the lifting, just helps with blood flow. But don't worry about it otherwise.

To better nail your activity level, and get that better BMR and TDEE by estimating BF%, use the spreadsheet in this link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

thank you.
  • emandlukeplusone
    Options
    lifting is essential to weight loss! you have to get those muscles working to tone them, and use that connective tissue and get it used to being worked

i didnt read the entire post, but are you taking supplements?

only 2 weeks so just keep it up, it takes about a month for you to notice change, then all of a sudden you will notice it, trust me!

Yes I am taking supplements. I should have written that in the OP. I take a womens one a day, fish oil and make sure my protien shake (I drink right after a workout) has glutemin *sp?.

Seems like I'm just getting impatient. I need to jusst keep at it.
  • emandlukeplusone
    Options
    Ok *big breath of relief* sounds like these are all easy things to fix. I'll answer many of the similar questions. I am taking supplements I do drink a protien shake after my routine and I am not planning to quit. I will adjust my TDEE and try to get more of my calories in protien and such.

As far as cardio goes I ususally walk 3.5-.4.0 speed anwhere between 3 and 5 miles depending on how much time I have and how I feel.

Thank you all for your kindness. I am looking forward to continuing on and working out. I appreciate all of your advice.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I feel sad that you were afraid to ask for the meanies.

I'd say give any new program your trying the proper time to see results before altering.

All though, its easier said than done, I know. Try to hang in there!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    When you are at maintenance and only then starting to lift do you eat more than your TDEE? Anyone? I start lifting in the first week of December and think I might be at maintenance then.
  • heybales
    Options
    When you are at maintenance and only then starting to lift do you eat more than your TDEE? Anyone? I start lifting in the first week of December and think I might be at maintenance then.

Well, TDEE is maintain really, so you would eat at your TDEE, but I think I know what you are asking.

But it really depends.

Are you dropping some exercise you are doing now that requires more calories, and doing the lifting instead?
    Are you totally adding the lifting on top of other stuff you are doing?

So from your weight loss right up to the end, you'll know exactly what your avg deficit must have been, and know how much more to eat for maintenance, it is maintenance for that level of activity that caused your deficit.

Since that will change in some way when you start lifting, it could mean eating more or less.

Lifting takes less calories during the actual session. So if replacing cardio, you'll eat less.
    But it burns more fat during the repair process. So just as commented here, eating at correct maintenance, you would be losing inches while LBM goes up, and hopefully muscle too, slowly but surely.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Depends on what your goals are....I am still eating at a small deficit, and I definitely have build "newbie" muscles - and ya,ya,ya, the experts will tell me its impossible, thanks...

But you will see differences in you body inches wise even at maintenance - I still cant get over the completely different shape everything looks......
    I don't think it's a good idea to immediately start "bulking" above your TDEE if you have not lifted before....Start doing it at maintenance and take time to see what it does to your body....
  • mockchoc
    Options

Well, TDEE is maintain really, so you would eat at your TDEE, but I think I know what you are asking.

But it really depends.

Are you dropping some exercise you are doing now that requires more calories, and doing the lifting instead?
    Are you totally adding the lifting on top of other stuff you are doing?

So from your weight loss right up to the end, you'll know exactly what your avg deficit must have been, and know how much more to eat for maintenance, it is maintenance for that level of activity that caused your deficit.

Since that will change in some way when you start lifting, it could mean eating more or less.

Lifting takes less calories during the actual session. So if replacing cardio, you'll eat less.
    But it burns more fat during the repair process. So just as commented here, eating at correct maintenance, you would be losing inches while LBM goes up, and hopefully muscle too, slowly but surely.

Thanks Heybales. I power walk about 7 days a week and was thinking to drop it to maybe 5 days plus do 3 days of weights. I use a fitbit and at the moment eat back 10% less than I burned total the day before so I was going to get rid of the 10% deficit at maintenance and work out how much I burn lifting either through what MFP says or buying a heart rate monitor. Think I should get one? I'd like to be able to eat more, love my food so I guess I should keep walking 7 days plus do the lifting. I'll have a gym pass then so will end up using cardio machines there.
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks Heybales. I power walk about 7 days a week and was thinking to drop it to maybe 5 days plus do 3 days of weights. I use a fitbit and at the moment eat back 10% less than I burned total the day before so I was going to get rid of the 10% deficit at maintenance and work out how much I burn lifting either through what MFP says or buying a heart rate monitor. Think I should get one? I'd like to be able to eat more, love my food so I guess I should keep walking 7 days plus do the lifting. I'll have a gym pass then so will end up using cardio machines there.

MFP estimate of lifting will actually be your best bet.

FitBit formula's for movement are useless for lifting, basically non-movement for some of it, way too much for others.
    HRM calorie calc's are only valid for steady-state aerobic exercise, useless for anaerobic like lifting is.

I have a HRM valid for lifting, because it basically just doesn't log the anaerobic high HR part, and the MFP estimate has always been within 25 calories of that when I've measured.

And this with no aerobics being thrown in between the lifts thinking it's helping something, which it doesn't. Except help make your lifts weaker from lack of recovery between them.

That level of walking is just fine for recovery, as long as HR is staying in the Active Recovery HR zone, incorrectly called fat-burning zone. If it's higher than that, just slow down a tad.
    And walking after the lifting would be fine too. But before could just leave you weaker for stronger lifts.

FitBit is very valid for calories for walking. I'd agree on 5 days. And even with that drop, you'll still be able to eat more at maintenance.

And actually, as your LBM improves and fat drops more, even with no weight changes, you will be able to eat more.

Now that's where the FitBit is perhaps going to fail and give underestimated calorie counts. It's purely going on bodyweight, with no knowledge of having higher metabolism because the weight is LBM.

But you'll know as soon as you lose weight, you can eat more. Should only lose inches.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady. Make small changes and give it a couple of weeks to adjust. I'd wait a couple more weeks where you are at, and then start making adjustments to the amount of cardio you do. Add a cardio session, wait a few weeks and see what happens. It will take some time to find the right balance of lifting, cardio, calories, rest, etc.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Astrampe, yes I can't wait to see the changes in my body!

Haybales, Ok shall do the 5 days walking and won't bother with the HR monitor also will keep in mind about the fitbit when I have more LBM. Great advice as always :)