Travel Snack Ideas - HELP!

Options
Hi guys....so, I'm leaving for a road trip tomorrow night - 3 days in a car with my best friend! Driving thru the mountains and snow/rain. LOL I'm super excited, but apprehensive about my ability to make smart food choices along the way.

I am easily tempted by the 'convenience' of gas station snacks! I realize they offer no real nutritional value or energy, but it's soooo easy for me to get sucked in to their advertising and availability.

So, I come to MFP seeking help, ideas, advice, etc. I'm heading to Wal-Mart this evening to pick up a huge case of water (oh yea, did I mention this trip is for an audition into graduate school?! yay for singers and their water!) and a few other travel things, But I NEED help figuring out low-calorie, easily transportable, and edible-while-driving snacks. I'm not a huge sweets person, my big downfall is salty. (Think chips, crackers, and nuts). I know that chips and crackers are pretty much out of the question, mainly because I can't stop at just 8 (or even 16) wheat thins! Also, nuts are very high in calorie content....so not a good option for me either. I'm considering popping a few 100 calorie bags of popcorn and putting them into ziploc baggies. Luckily I enjoy popcorn even after it's a lil 'stale' - ya know, when it gets kinda soft to the chew, not so crunchy? Anyway - that's about all I've come up with. I'm thinking celery sticks as well - but I'm not sure how long they'll stay cold in the insulated cooler we're bringing - and let's face it, room temperature celery just isn't yummy!

Alright, I've stated my issues - I apologize for my long-windedness - and I await the infinite wisdom of my wonderful MFP friends!

Ready - SET - GO!

Replies

• tony123
    Options
    make your own trail mix and portion it into serving size baggies. also keep pretzels and diet drinks in the car if you want something salty. Hard casndy is good if you like sweet things and they ahve sugar fgree stuff. If you nedd candy, I'd go for twizzlers. and keep the crystal lite packets with you!
  • FrankyOsage
    Options
    I dunno. Even though things like almonds are high in calories (150 a serving), they are high in protein and fiber as well (and super crunchy), so they seem to stick with me a lot longer than the 100 calorie packs (im hungry in an hour and eat a second ;) ). My downfall is sweets, so the Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds have been my go to snack lately (14 hr days this week, the jar is with me at all times so I'm not tempted by the candy our contractors bring!). Also, try the little mini-bags of baked chips. That way you are forced to stop at the bottom of the little bag! Also, good idea with the fruits and veggies!!

Lots of luck for your auditiion and have fun on your road trip!!!
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would get some fiber one bars, and at our walmart up by the deli they have a pretzel that is very thin and come in diffrent flavors, I just get the plain and you can have apprx 11 as one serving and with water they make me feel very full..or even the round honey wheat pretzels..also in the produce section the have a bag with small pack of apple slices..good luck on your adventure..and stay safe!!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I would add some protein. Something you like, maybe:

string cheese
    almonds
    jerky

It will give you more staying power than the carb. snacks.
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Luna bars (160-190cals) and the Slimfast 123 snack bars (100cals).... however they may be too sweet for you. For salty you could get the small bags of Baked Lays (160cals). I always have a case of water in my car too, mindless drinking keeps food out of my mouth:) Maybe a couple packs of gum. Have a fantastic roadtrip!
  • leilamarie
    leilamarie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Way to go reaching out for help. Okay, I have been in the very same situation on multiple occasions... I did the following. I stocked up on 100 cal packs. like such thins as Cheetos, Doritos, and thins that were comparable- there not the best for you but they give you that satisfaction. As for veggies, bring a small cooler. If you are going to be staying in hotels you have access to ice. Make a fresh ice pack. Or, a great idea for is taking water bottle and freezing it solid. It keeps long and to avoid the wet mess, wrap it in paper towel and put it in a ziplock back. That way you can have some healthy choices.. Oh, and don't forget soy & rice chips. Great alternatives to chips that come in a variety of flavors..

Hopes this give yous some ideas! Good luck and Good Travels!!!
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know it's a little past pumpkin season, however if you can find some pumpkin seeds you could put them in a bag and shake to coat with your favorite seasoning (i like cajun) and then bake them in the oven on a cookie sheet until browned slightly and crunchy. That is my all time favorite low/cal salty snack.
  • suzannegiroux
    Options
    The 100 calories packs - Pretzel covered with chocolates are great
  • chicka200413
    Options
    my sister and I went on a road trip and she totally was prepared. She made us several baggies of raw green pepper slices and we also had the 100 calorie packs and made tuna fish sandwhich's on wheat bread. It was all actually really yummy and satisfying.

I always like to eat raw veggies because they take a while to chew. Like carrots, cucumbers, green pepper, red pepper. i tend to overeat when I'm sitting in a car very bored. so i just overeat on veggies which is a good thing!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    jerky is a great protein snack, popcorn is good. be careful with all of the salt whilst sitting for so long and drinkin water... your best bet is to eat regular healthy meals and then chew gum, no need to snack the whole trip.. put on some music, sing loud, and dont think about food.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm hitting the skies with my kids, so I'm bringing along granola bars, raisin/dried cranberries, and their favorite cereal - Gorilla Munch.
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    my sister and I went on a road trip and she totally was prepared. She made us several baggies of raw green pepper slices and we also had the 100 calorie packs and made tuna fish sandwhich's on wheat bread. It was all actually really yummy and satisfying.

I always like to eat raw veggies because they take a while to chew. Like carrots, cucumbers, green pepper, red pepper. i tend to overeat when I'm sitting in a car very bored. so i just overeat on veggies which is a good thing!

Awww... thanks Sis!! Glad you enjoyed the meals/snacks I made. You can make it work if you try hard enough.

Some other ideas....

Individually packed baggies of Cheerios
    Raisins
    Bananas
    Apples
    PB&J Sandwiches or maybe a half sandwich (less of a need for the fridge with this sandwich)
    Rice Cakes
    Yogurts (remember a plastic spoon!)
  • mynulife
    mynulife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All are great ideas! Also, fresh fruit is always great - bananas, apples, and orages don't even need to be in a cooler if it's already cold outside! Good luck with the trip and the audition!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I buy the nature valley pecan crunch. one bar is 70 cal two comes in a pack. I buy the big thing of plain almonds and do half the serving. I also buy lowfat pringles that are only 70 cal for 14 crisps and 0g fat I only do the serving sizes. if you are the type that can't just do the serving put them in zip loc bags and label them for your snack and what day. Have a meal plan mapped out before you leave so you know that is what you are having and it will be easier to stick to. I also buy a big bag of pretzels and measure out hte serving. Good luck
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    What about sunflower seeds? They take a while to open which occupies your mouth, thus you eat less, and they come with a fun factor; you get to spit them out your window and pretend you're a trucker!!!!! BREAK A LEG!!!!! Sing like an angel!
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    :noway: WOW! Thanks guys! All of these fabulous ideas are going to help me make healthy choices and stick to my plan. :drinker:

Here's my list:
    Apples
    Almonds (seems to be a popular choice among the responses)
    100 cal popcorn
    Bananas (GREAT beta blockers for pre-performance anxiety!)
    Rice Cakes (I forgot about these and love them SOOO much! - I'll probably get the cinnamon or chocolatey ones for something sweet)

I've decided that I'm not going to bring too much food because let's face it, I don't NEED the snacks. Tayner was right in the fact that I should plan 'regular' healthy meals and just enjoy the trip. :flowerforyou:

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas and well wishes! I truly couldn't do this without my MFP support! :blushing:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Whenever we go somewhere (driving for a long time) dh laughs at me b/c I always bring my own "snacks". Baby carrots preportioned out. I also think Bolthouse Farms sells them in packages. I buy those small "juice boxes" of soy milk, V-8, fruit juices. Another thing I take is applesauce. Now I know that that's not exactly something you can eat while you are driving. Baby carrots you can. Soy nuts. Grapes. Yes, preportioned pretzels. I usually make myself some turkey sandwiches, so dh can have his McD's, while I have my own meal. The fact is, I usually wind up having more food (and better for you) than he does. Dried fruit preportioned out. Stretch Island makes dried fruit sticks that are like 45 calories each. Now, they aren't easy to open while you are driving. Buy some of those snack size bags, they are easy to open. Celery (you can eat that while driving). Those small pudding cups (there is a brand that doesn't need refrigeration -- the Jello ones usually do). I've never taken popcorn, only b/c that takes up a lot of room. I have taken bags unpopped and then popped it in the microwave at a hotel, tho. Almonds, most any nuts (preportioned out). Beef jerky. Fruit (apples, bananas, pears). If you are driving, peel some clementines at home and you can just pop them in your mouth.

And good luck to you!