Multvitamins - overcoming gag reflex

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I do not have a gag reflex (discovered while in hospital when i was little) so thus dont really know how it feels or how to overcome it...sorry :S

Forgiven! ;P
  • MySunshine76
    Options
    WOW!! I'm a woman and I want to make a rather inappropriate comment. So, I guess it's best if I just say...........Good luck.

Omggg..I believe I was about to suggest the same thing..wow, I'm so so bad!! :-)

Apparently we both are.:laugh:
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Dip them in chocolate? Might work! :happy:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I do not have a gag reflex (discovered while in hospital when i was little) so thus dont really know how it feels or how to overcome it...sorry :S

Fascinating
  • MySunshine76
    Options
    More practice should help overcome your gag reflex.

I see what you did there. :wink:

Love the way you just "slipped" that in there.
  • KaylaMarie8
    Options
    At the nursing home I do clinicals at for school, we either crush up the pills or put them whole into applesauce or pudding. The clients have no problem taking them that way.
  • MySunshine76
    Options
    My comment woulda been....inappropriate as well.

So, I'll just say this.....swallow little ones. The bigger they are, the more likely you are to....choke.

HA!!! Nice one!!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to find chewables that contain iron, so they might not be your best plan of action if you need that...

My grandmother is in a nursing home, and she has swallowing problems. They take her daily vitamin, crush it up, and add it to some applesauce to get her to eat it.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    There are numerous liquid multivitamins. just as good, if not better, some great anti-oxidant blends in them.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Chewables are awesome! In the meantime, put your vitamins in the blender, mix with pro powder, banana, fruit, etc. and see if you can get them down that way :)
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's not your gag reflex, it's the kind of vitamins you're taking! Most vitamins, especially multi-vitamins, that are sold in drugstores are coated in so much crap your body doesn't need that they can make you very sick just trying to digest them, not to mention that your body often CAN'T even get past all the coating to absorb the vitamins/minerals. Sure, eating with food/drinking lots of water CAN help, but I still typically throw up within 10 minutes of taking a traditional multi-vitamin.

I highly suggest investing in a higher quality vitamin that is simply a capsule full of loose vitamins/minerals. That way, your body can absorb it much easier, and, if you like, you can even empty out the capsules and ingest the contents in a drink or food.

Look on Amazon or somewhere for vitamins made by a company like Garden of Life. They have raw ones that even contain a probiotic for further help with tummy/digestive issues.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    make smoothies and throw the dust in there. you wont even taste it
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Did you buy them somewhere like GNC that you could return them? if not.. I'd crush and mix into applesauce or pudding like someone else said. that is how they get people to take them in nursing homes.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Hey-o!

But seriously - what I do is fill my mouth up with water like I'm going to gargle and then I throw the pills all in and then I swallow real quick.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Just swallow it really quickly. If you take your time and think about how gross they smell and taste of course it's going to make you gag. Put the vitamin in your mouth, drink water and swallow. Don't think about it.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Just swallow it really quickly. If you take your time and think about how gross they smell and taste of course it's going to make you gag. Put the vitamin in your mouth, drink water and swallow. Don't think about it.

I try this. :) Doesn't work. Something about the vitamin casing causes a magnetic reaction that I can't seem to get past.

I'm definitely trying the juice tomorrow and if that doesn't help I'll move onto releasing the powder into liquid and if THAT doesn't work I'll bite the bullet and get chewables or liquid vitamins.
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options

If it smells gross..and tastes gross..it shouldn't be in your mouth.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Costco sells Vitafusion - Multi-Vites Gummy Vitamins. A bottle of 250 is about $10 and you take 2 a day. The calories are 15 per serving and they taste good. The nutritional content is great.

As far as the vitamins that you already have, I have a whole bottle of the regular adult version sitting in my medicine cabinet that I will probably toss once the experation date comes. I can't stand the thought of throwing them away, no one seems to want them, and there is no way I can force myself to remember to eat them either. So my suggestion would be to cut your losses and just do something that actually works for you.

This - the Multi-Vites Gummies are delicious. I usually buy mine at Target.

I hate the big nasty smelly regular ones too. Yuck.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem---Swallow them fine but then taste them all day and they taste nasty going down and nasty once down:sick:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Get some hard cheese like cheddar, roll a small piece until warm and gooey and tuck the tablet inside.
    Used to work on my cat....