doing the Susan G Koman 5K....

Options
in Atlanta in May. I'm totally out of shape and am using this a inspiration, a small kick in the butt.

what are ways you athletes train for triathlons or long distance runs?
I would like to run/jog most of the way and not just walk the whole thing; and I want to prevent shin splints and what not.

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Check out the C25k program - I'm currently doing it and it's really increasing my stamina and ability to run for a length of time. Here's the website:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out C25K. It will have you running a 5k in about 8 weeks. If you have an iPod, you can download the Pod Runner podcasts that will help you along.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    C25k is how I got started running also.

I hope to be there too!
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!! What a wonderful cause to run/jog for!!!! You can do it!!! :drinker:
  • dporter1183
    dporter1183 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll for sure check out the C25K!!

I have atleast 2 girlfriends running with me, I can't wait to see how we do!
  • wmb0124
    wmb0124 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i'm also doing the race for the cure in may and i'm using the couch to 5k program. if you start now, you'll be finished in enough time. it's a nine week program and so helpful. i used to not run at all and i love it! good luck with your run!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    All of us who are doing the Komen 5k in Altanta should all try to meet--that would be cool!
  • Mommy08
    Mommy08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had started my running in intervals. It gets your strength and stamina up so that way you can go longer once you come back down to a slower consistant running pace. You realize it's not that much work after doing those shorts bursts of intensity. I so wish we had a Susan G. Koman 5k around me in Michigan. I'm running in March for my mother who is a breast cancer survivor :) If she can do that, I can SURELY do a 5K :)
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    There is one near me in April (Ft. Worth, TX)... I am trying to get a team together... It is such a worthy cause!! I think everyone who can should do this!!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I have 3 Komen events planned.....

The 5k Atlanta, 5k Charlotte and the 3 day 60 mile walk in Atlanta! I REALLY hope I can work out our schedules!