So What's The Deal With Salt?

Options
I consider myself lucky, I have NO sugar issues! I can watch people eat cake in front of me and it doesn't bother me one bit. I've NEVER liked pop (or soda as you Americans call it). Chocolate? Who needs it!

Now salt....THERE's a problem for me. I have curbed my chip issues the last time I successfully lost weight and luckily that never came back. I still salt my food though! And I always choose snacks/foods that have a LOT of salt. Heck, I CRAVE salt!

So what's the big deal? I just don't understand what the big deal is with soduim. How can my salt issues affect my weight loss?

Replies

• amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I added sodium to my food tracker so I could keep the sodium intake under control. You'd be shocked to know how much sodium you take in on any given day if you don't make a conscious effort to avoid it. And yes, it does play a role in weight loss (well, water weight anyway--too much can cause you to retain fluid).
  • jdsaenz
    jdsaenz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's true...too much sodium and you retain water in the body. It is surprising how much sodium is in foods, naturally. This link had a lot of good info on the salt issue: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_salt.php . Hope it helps...
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    Sodium causes your body to retain water, thus making it harder to lose weight. Drink plenty of water to flush out your system - sounds funny since you are retaining water, however only more water will flush it out. Sodium can also increase your blood pressure. Here's a good link about sodium and your diet: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I added sodium to my food tracker so I could keep the sodium intake under control. You'd be shocked to know how much sodium you take in on any given day if you don't make a conscious effort to avoid it. And yes, it does play a role in weight loss (well, water weight anyway--too much can cause you to retain fluid).

I also added sodium to my food diary..... Like you said, I was shocked!!!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I call it pop and am American (although pretty north for an American - in MI). :smile:

I have the same issues with salt. I've been trying to not salt my food as much. I try to add other thing for flavor, although most of them have a lot of sodium anyway - like hot sauce. Not sure which is better. I also don't usually crave sweets, its rare when I do.

As for salt's affect, I believe its water weight. The more sodium you take in, the more water you retain. I haven't been able to cut out, or down, on the salt to know if its really affecting me. I'm guessing there are people that might know more. I guess if I always eat salt in the same amount, my weight will consistently be the couple pounds more than if I didn't have it. I dunno.

Just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat and I look forward to hearing what everyone else has to say.
  • jdsaenz
    jdsaenz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    almost forgot: another name for "pop" or soda, in the south, or at least Texas, I hear "coke." As in, "what can I get you to drink?" "I'll have a Coke." "What kind? "Dr. Pepper's fine, thanks." ??? :)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a pretty easy to read and informative article http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

"If your kidneys can't eliminate enough sodium, the sodium starts to accumulate in your blood. Because sodium attracts and holds water, your blood volume increases. Increased blood volume, in turn, makes your heart work harder to move more blood through your blood vessels, increasing pressure in your arteries. Certain diseases such as congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and chronic kidney disease can lead to an inability to regulate sodium.

Some people are more sensitive to the effects of sodium than are others. People who are sodium sensitive retain sodium more easily, leading to excess fluid retention and increased blood pressure. If you're in that group, extra sodium in your diet increases your chance of developing high blood pressure, a condition that can lead to cardiovascular and kidney diseases. "

So, that's the deal. I know if I eat more than 2000mg a day, I start to retain water. I can't even feel it sometimes, but since I've been so closely monitoring my weight, I definitely see the water retention manifest itself on the scale.

You'd be surprised how much your tastebuds change when you start to eliminate it from your diet. The same thing happened with sugar for me. Sometimes I'll make something and taste it and say "Oh, that's too salty" and then turn to warn my boyfriend only to find him shaking salt onto his food because he doesn't think it's salty enough. :laugh:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    i've been watching my sodium since joining this site as well - the problem is not with the little bit of salt we may add to our foods, the problem is there is excessive sodium in almost all processed foods, some are just crazy, it seems to be the main flavoring ingredient for almost everything. I've tried to change my habits to purchase low sodium options when I can (such as soups and sauces) The fluid retention that sodium causes does make it more difficult to lose weight. Just good to keep an eye on - from what I've read each person is different but a general rule of keeping your sodium under 2500mg is recommend, that's what I try for. I'm watching sugar too, and like you I can pass up sweets, but have you ever looked at the amount of sugar in say a bottle of pasta sauce - they get us from so many places. I am encouraged by each news article I see recently where companies are being asked to do something about the salt and sugar in processed foods, maybe change will come.
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    almost forgot: another name for "pop" or soda, in the south, or at least Texas, I hear "coke." As in, "what can I get you to drink?" "I'll have a Coke." "What kind? "Dr. Pepper's fine, thanks." ??? :)

:laugh: That's what we call it in Arkansas too. "Coke" is a very generic term here.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    The over-consumption of salt can cause you to retain water. It has also been known to cause high blood pressure which increases your risk for strokes and cardiovascular disease.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    My blood pressure is always on the low side. Last week it was 107/60. I know its not something I want to get up there or be higher, but my BP isn't at a place where I need to watch sodium levels because of it. I also usually exceed the 2500 sodium level daily and still have the low level of BP.

I know there is a level when your BP is too low, would cutting down on sodium possibly be harmful in that case? I know I'm not the norm where this is all considered, but thought maybe someone might know. I just went to the dr last week and she didn't seem to be concerned, so I guess I'm ok with these #s.

Also, would having low BP affect the water retention, would I still be retaining the fluid given my lower BP?

Sorry to hijack your thread!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

I know there is a level when your BP is too low, would cutting down on sodium possibly be harmful in that case?

Also, would having low BP affect the water retention, would I still be retaining the fluid given my lower BP?

I also have lower blood pressure (usually around 105/55). I've previously had higher blood pressure (prehypertension, maybe) so when I saw it drop this low after I started exercising I did some research. Then I confirmed my findings with my mother, a registered nurse. You only have HYPOtension (low blood pressure) if you have symptoms of it. The 2 main symptoms that come to mind are feeling weak or dizzy. Also, my blood pressure lowered when I started exercising but I didn't see an additional drop when I started really watching my sodium intake a couple months later. So, while I'm sure there are some health condiitons that would be affected negatively by lowering your sodium intake to 1500-2000mg (for instance, if your blood sodium levels were consistently too low), it has not affected my blood pressure.

And to answer your 2nd question, yes, even with lower blood pressure I notice the effects of water retention. YMMV. Perhaps my blood pressure increases at these times, too. I'm unsure. Maybe I need to order some Mexican food from my favorite restaurant to do some research. :tongue:

Also important to note is that you NEED sodium in your diet. Most experts recommend at least 1000mg daily.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    jlb123 - thank you so much for answering my questions. I've been trying to watch my sodium a little more, but that hasn't been my main focus. With watching other area, my sodium levels to get an added bonus sometimes though.

If you do experiement with that mexican food - let me know the results. I :heart: me some mexican food!!
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    I didn't know you could add sodium to the food tracker. how do you do this? I am going to see if I can figure it out. thanks for all the info! :smile:
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I *think* I get it! I have NO blood pressure issues, never have. So I wonder...if I keep my salt intake high and consistently retain water, won't I still see the scale go down because I'm making efforts in other ways to lose weight? Like I'm thinking I'll always have that extra water, but the fat will be going down.

If that works...I don't see any reason to cut out salt???
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you could add sodium to the food tracker. how do you do this? I am going to see if I can figure it out. thanks for all the info! :smile:

Go to your "Food" tab, then click on "Settings", then select Sodium from one of the drop down boxes under "Nutrients Tracked".
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I LOVE salt, but alas, it does NOT love me. If I've had a particularly salty day, the next morning my hands will be swollen so much that I can barely form a fist. The scale will hate me as well.

So, I try to eliminate the processed foods that contain it, instead lightly salting the food on my plate. You can buy lower sodium canned and frozen goods frequently, which goes a LONG way towards cutting down on your intake.
  • Hopey1994
    Options
    If you buy canned veggies, make sure to get the ones with no salt added. Have you tried sea salt? It has the flavor of table salt but is a healthier form that can help reduce blood pressure (so I've been told?). I also started cooking with Mrs. Dash seasonings that are all salt free and they're very flavorful.

I wish I had your problem. i never met a cake i didn't like... :embarassed:

Oh and here in the south, as someone else said, it's "Coke." To my super southern family, it's "Cocola" I cringe at "Pop" :tongue:
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi! i'm a saltaholic. I love my buttery salty pop corn or chips and I salt my food too :( Although the sodium tracker has helped me immensly to cut back on sodium.

Here is this article I found that may be interesting to you (I've also heard this information from my Nurtrition professor in college)

There are several different reasons why you may be craving salt. The first one is that over the years your body and your taste buds have been accustomed to a lot of salt. If you are trying to cut back on salt because of health reasons, your body will crave it, simply because it is used to lots of salt.

Craving salty foods can also be a symptom of adrenal exhaustion, especially in people who live fast-paced, stressful lives.

You could also be craving salt because your body needs the additional minerals found in natural salt. These minerals have been filtered out of our regular table salt. In this case eating salty food will only satisfy your craving temporarily until your body realizes it is still missing the extra minerals.

Is Salt Really Dangerous Or Addictive?

The average American has a salt intake of about 15 pounds a year. This much salt can cause high blood pressure and hypertension. The excess sodium also leaches a lot of calcium out of your bones, which over time can lead to osteoporosis.

Your body needs approximately 500 mg of salt a day. If you are an athlete or work hard physically, and sweat a lot, you will need more. The FDA's recommended daily salt intake is 2,500 mg a day for the average adult. Most North Americans' daily salt intake is over 5,000 mg. This is the processed, white, refined sodium chloride, which is toxic to our bodies.

Salt cravings have also been linked to serious health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and sickle cell anemia. If you find yourself craving a lot of salt all of a sudden, it may be a good idea to schedule a physical. Be sure to mention your salt cravings to your physician, so he or she can administer appropriate tests for the conditions mentioned above.

What Can I Do To Curb My Salt Cravings?

If you are craving salt as a result of being accustomed to consuming a lot of salt with your foods or enjoying lots of salty foods like potato chips, salted nuts etc., then slowly cut back on your salt intake and replace it with herbs and spices to give you lots of flavor without the salt. An excellent way to get the salt taste you crave as well as 84 necessary minerals is to use Himalayan Salt Crystals.

If stress and adrenal exhaustion are causing your salt cravings, try eating food that are high in Vitamin C and Potassium.

Foods High In Vitamin C – Citrus, Pepper, Broccoli

Foods High In Potassium – Apricots, Bran Wheat, Raisins, Figs, and Baked Potato With Skin

If you are craving salt, or just consuming a lot of salt each day, start cutting back on your salt intake. Opt for low sodium versions of foods and condiments. Start paying attention to the amount of salt in certain food. Take a look at a bread label. You’ll be surprised how much salt is in a single slice of bread.

Replace some processed foods with fresh fruits and vegetables and season your dishes with herbs and spices. Stick with it and after a while you won’t miss the salt and will be feeling better.

Are cravings running your life? Diana Walker provides natural solutions to cravings, mood swings, and PMS. Immediately receive Diana’s free Cravings Coach TIPS at http://www.thecravingscoach.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Diana_Walker
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I *think* I get it! I have NO blood pressure issues, never have. So I wonder...if I keep my salt intake high and consistently retain water, won't I still see the scale go down because I'm making efforts in other ways to lose weight? Like I'm thinking I'll always have that extra water, but the fat will be going down.

If that works...I don't see any reason to cut out salt???

It'll work. I didn't start watching my sodium till I was about 10lbs or so into this. However, once I DID start watching it, after about 3 weeks I saw a DRAMACTIC drop in weight (7lbs in 1 week!:noway: ) Mind you, that was NOT sticking to the recommended 2500mg a day. I STILL only rarely achieve that. But I did lower the amount considerably. (Cut it in about 1/2 at first, now I stay consistently between 2000 and 3000. Makes you wonder what it was at to start, huh?)

As long as your BP is ok, and your doc is cool with it, there is no need to watch your sodium. That is, as long as you're ok with carrying that extra few pounds around.

Good luck figuring out what you need to do!