Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Biggest NSV For Me Yet!!

So a little back story: I've always been the most unathletic person I know. In middle school, during a game of dodgeball, I tried to get people on the other team to get me out, was ignored, got left as the last person on my team and asked the teacher if I could forfeit. I've always dreaded the mile run in school, and would be the last person remaining, often not even finishing my one mile run.
I waited until my senior year to take the required semester of gym, that's how much I hated it.

Well, when I took that final exam last year, I couldn't run the whole thing without walking. I couldn't run ONCE around the track without walking (10 times was a mile). Six weeks ago I decided to do the C25K program. I've always wanted to be able to call myself a runner, but I didn't have much hope since I'd done a day or two of the program before and quit.

Today I completed Week 5 Day 3. I jogged for 20 MINUTES!!! I could barely run for ONE minute when I started the program, and now I was able to run for 20! I I seriously teared up a little when my app told me it was time for the cool down, that's how shocked I was that I actually did it. I've been wanting some running things (winter apparel, women's running mag, etc), but wouldn't buy any of it until I felt that I'd actually stick with running. While I don't feel like I can call myself a runner yet, I can't wait until the day that I can.

Thank you for reading this. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal to most people, but this is huge for me and I had to share it. :)

Replies

• clopez1987
    clopez1987 Posts: 54 Member
    Awesome job!!
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    That is a great NSV....keep it up!! Congrats. :)
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    I actually started to tear up for you! Your backstory was me to a "T" in school! We could have been the same person. I haven't gotten around to trying to be a runner yet, but jogging 20 minutes would be a huge non-scale victory for me. I'm trying to start small (by that I mean doing the activities I enjoy -- 45 minutes on the elliptical and some light weights) and working my way towards my "impossibles" (core exercises, running). Your little story here is inspiring to me! I may have to try the C25K program :).
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    That is a GREAT NSV! I'm so glad you shared it.
  • Jhmokwa
    Jhmokwa Posts: 12 Member
    You sound like me in high school! I also just started the couch potato to 5k. today my app screwed up, so i tried to calculate the minutes, then got tired and just decided to run. I ran for 5 minutes without even noticing :)

Great job. Your story has inspired me to stick with it!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
    --John Bingham

"I often hear someone say I'm not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner."
    -Bart Yasso
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I am glad to hear this! Awesome. When I'm done with 30 Day Shred, I am going back to concentrating on Couch to 5K and your story was very inspiring!:smile:
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    so happy for u!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!