Thanksgiving

Options
How do you deal with the holiday? Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Do you plan to "take the day off" or do you plan to stay within your calorie goal range? Are you planning to workout on Thanksgiving?

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I haven't given it much thought. I was suppose to work 12+ hours but my company called and asked if I wanted part of the day off. I have to work during the hours that the gym will be closed so probably won't work out. Its getting dark early so I won't walk if its dark.
    I will try to get to do zumba an extra time this week. I will count calories leading up to thanksgiving dinner but after that I will just eat and not count. I am not all that worried about it.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating as much white meat turkey I can handle! Then one bread plate with whatever I'd like and a half slice of pie. I refuse to deny myself, but having this game plan is keeping me from doing what I really want to do which is never stop eating the carbs! What is your plan?
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm going to count and log them, but I will go over my 1200 per day limit. But not by so much that I can't make it up through exercise during the week--I will bank them. Then the next day---back to normal.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I'm going to count and log them, but I will go over my 1200 per day limit. But not by so much that I can't make it up through exercise during the week--I will bank them. Then the next day---back to normal.

everything this poster says. !!!

I do not EVER plan a binge ..even when it's a certain day on the calendar.
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    I, too, will log my food and try to eat sensibly. If I go over, it is not the end of the world.
    And with one Thanksgiving dinner the night before and then three the day of, I am almost guaranteed to go over.
    I make it my goal to make good decisions, though. Hopefully, I won't be over for the week by the time the week is over.
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I will be taking the day off. We didn't get to have a very good Thanksgiving last year because my son was at Fort Gordon, Georgia. So this year, we are really going to celebrate. With all the walking, standing, cooking, mixing, dishes, and everything else that goes into making dinner for 9 people, I figure that I will be burning some calories.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm going to exercise extra before and after, but eat what I want on the day. It's one day out of the year, and I know I won't eat as much as I have in years past.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I do plan to exercise, but don't plan to log my food. I make much better choices, overall, than I used to, so I trust myself to not go completely insane. But the hassle of trying to "match" what I've eaten on Thanksgiving to the foods listed in the database would make me crazy -- and won't change the outcome of what I've eaten. Just don't plan to bother with all of that and enjoy time with family and friends!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I learned years ago for me Thanksgiving is not a one day event. So, I don't pig out on the day of. I eat a regular sized meal. What I don't get enough of on Thursday I have on Friday. What I don't get enough of on Friday I have on Saturday. In the past I have even made up a plate covered it with plastic and stuck it in the fridge so I get what I want. Everyone knows not to touch mom's plate!

Yes, I'll be logging.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    How do you deal with the holiday? Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Do you plan to "take the day off" or do you plan to stay within your calorie goal range? Are you planning to workout on Thanksgiving?

Just eat it's 1 -2 days, you'll be fine. Just stop eating too much after that.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is great for this. I only eat one meal a day anyway. I'll probably just not worry about my macros too much and eat turnips, green beans, and spinach. I'll eat a little bit of dessert or something too, maybe a little bit if potatoes. As long as I stay under my calorie goals, I'm happy.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Struggle. A lot.

Personally, if it was just me, I wouldn't have a problem with overeating. I'm weird; I'm not a big fan of a lot of customary Thanksgiving foods. However, relatives actually get offended if I don't eat their food during the holidays. I can explain the "watching my weight" thing, but being overweight themselves, they respond back with the typical "But it's Thanksgiving! One day isn't going to kill you! Here, have 5,000 calories!"

For people who can have cheat days, kudos to you. But if I have one cheat day, I end up having several. Which is what makes the situation so frustrating.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I plan to eat at maintenance + whatever I work off in the morning.
    I have been pre logging my meal ( I am the cook here) and so far, so good. I will have a light breakfast and have a couple plates and yummy dessert. I want to enjoy the delicious meal and be a piggy, but I don't wanna gain weight!