Pyramid sets vs. Straight sets

Is there an advantage to doing one over the other? Which do you prefer, and why?

Replies

• FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    I do both.. as well as several other set styles. Depends on the day, and what my goals are for the day.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I've always been told pyramid sets were best for building muscle.

straight sets more for toning. But I'm sure there are people here who know a lot more about it than I do.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    I pretty much do what I feel, but lately I start with two lighter sets of 10-12 reps and then go for two more increasingly heavier sets for however many reps I can do. On bench press for instance I have been 115x12, 135x10, then 200lbs (usually 7-8 reps per) - I find on legs I will do whatever weight I can for 12 reps and if I can execute it at 12 reps, I bump up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I pyramid, mostly because once you get beyond a certain level, the pyramid become part of the warmup. When I'm not lifting as heavy i may do something closer to straight sets.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Is there an advantage to doing one over the other? Which do you prefer, and why?

It depends on your goals. Pyramid sets tend to offer an advantage in hypertrophy training. Straight sets appear in more strength based workouts. For myself, I like to use 3X5 straight sets with 3 or 4 drop sets at the end.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Thanks for the replies so far, anyone else? bump