So disappointed in myself

Options
Today, I ate 7 sugar cookies (dough) and there were 12 altogether in a carton from Fresh & Easy. I later read that the cookies were 160 calories each! YIKES!!! That will take me days to work off. The cookies were in front of me and I gave in to temptation. They were delicious, but not worth it. I'm sure I gained back all the weight I worked so hard to lose and for 7 high calorie dough cookies. I wish I would have been stronger! After eating 7, I threw the rest out as I was starting to feel sick. I am so disappointed that I gave into my cravings instead of just walking away.:cry:

Everytime, I give into my cravings, it sets me back a step and undoes all the hard work I have done in my weight loss. :sad: Thus, makes me discouraged.

How do you handle temptations in front of you and around you? How do you remain strong? Ideas/suggestions welcome.

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I would have just had one, maybe two and put the rest away.. We just picked up this box of rice crackers from costco and they sat on the counter and every time I walked by I grabbed a few.. I did this for a few days until I said enough and put them away.. haven't had one since..
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Today, I had an entire order of Nachos from applebees. Goodbye 1500+ calories!! :( I know how frustrated you are...and if I were flexible enough to kick my own *kitten*, I would! But I just sit back and think, "Tomorrow... it's another day.... start over!"

Yeah, it's the same, cheesy mantra... but you know what, IT WORKS. I always wake up the next day, saying to myself, "I'm going to win. I'm going to win this battle." And I pick myself back up and keep going.

:) You can do this!!!!!
  • reneegirl97
    reneegirl97 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. We all fall for the temptation! I for example have been losing and gaining the same pounds for about 3-4 weeks! But this week will be different! You just have to brush it off. And you have to strategize you plan of action for the next week. Add 10-15 minutes to each exercise. Drink more water.

I try to think of everything that is in the food. Try to calculate just how bad it is for me. I think of the food as a poison. Then I walk away and try not to look at the food.
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Aww, sorry you had a bad day, but don't beat yourself up to much. You really didn't do that bad. 160X7 is only 1120 calories which really isn't much in the long run. Just call it a day, and have a better day tomorrow. You definitely didn't gain any weight from it considering it takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat! You will be fine, just start again tomorrow fresh!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    There is nothing easy about this journey. Don't give up. Keep your eye on the prize. You do not have to be perfect to do this. You just have to have more good days than not. A bad day is not the end of the world. Tomorrow is a new day. Just pick it right up again. Be kind to yourself and don't ever punish or beat yourself up, just keep moving forward, one step in front of the other.

Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

For me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spend now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

When I was losing weight I did this a few times, ate something that immediately brought my weight up the next day and it took a couple of weeks to gain ground. You can't out exercise too many calories, it will not work. You must figure out how to set up your environment for success and minimize your chances of doing that. We got all treats like that out of the house. If I wanted a cookie I'd plan it and go get it at starbucks or a bakery or whatever, never bringing them home. It's not that you can't have treats, but if you truly want success you need to plan them in your budget. You can't have them all at once. When you have one you will always want more. I tell myself I can have more next time. You can have everything you want just not all at once. A book that helped me with these ideas what John Barban's Anything Goes Diet. It is not a diet, just a way of eating, whatever your diet. Here is an article he just posted on his blog, it's got pretty good ideas, actually his blog has some great stuff --> http://johnbarban.com/whats-your-diet-and-exercise-plan-for-the-next-7-weeks/
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Look at your progress in WEEKLY segments. You can't gain 7lbs in a week. I weigh myself weekly and watch my progress weekly (better on the mobile app). See how you stand that way. It may not be as bad as you think.
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I put temptation away where I can't see it. If you don't see it, you won't want it. Picture something gross on it and that will make you stop. It works for me.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Identify your "trigger" foods and don't even have one bite! Easier said than done of course. :ohwell:
  • 50kaz
    50kaz Posts: 4
    Options
    I know that bloody feeling oh so very well. So now I make sure I never forget it because its my motivation for taking the action i need to reach my goals.I have been practising
    1. Take a breath
    2. Focus on the memory of how I felt last time I did whatever it was ... Sat on couch, ate crap, told myself I wasn't good enough
    3. Make a choice of how I want to feel NOW
    4. Walk .. Run away

:)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Have you been restricting yourself too much? 7 cookies is a lot! Try writing your food down right before you eat it. You might have told yourself...one isn't enough but I better stop at two! If you allow yourself small treats here and there it is definitely easier to resist having so much of it at once, or one of these oops moments. It happens to everyone though don't be too hard on yourself. I remember I had like 950 calories left so I thought I was okay to order anything off the menu at apple bees instead of one of their light choices. My sandwich ended up having 1200 calories and that was not even including the fries :( Just be careful and when you slip up from time to time that is okay too. And you are not going to gain back all the weight! You will be fine!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Get a grip. 7x160==1120 calories. That's not even a third of a pound. You've lost 11 pounds so far. That won't even dent your progress so far, you're just being dramatic. You can make up for that 1120 calories in just 2 days worth of reasonable deficit. 1 day if you really kill it in the gym. It's not a big deal. At all.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Get a grip. 7x160==1120 calories. That's not even a third of a pound. You've lost 11 pounds so far. That won't even dent your progress so far, you're just being dramatic. You can make up for that 1120 calories in just 2 days worth of reasonable deficit. 1 day if you really kill it in the gym. It's not a big deal. At all.

I'd agree, except for the kind of rude "get a grip" part.

its not the end of the world. you have to give yourself a break, and see that this is just like a trip, you didn't even fall, and although its not great - if you knew they were that high cals you probably wouldn't have eaten that many.

if you were watching a race and someone fell, everyone would yell "get up! you can do it!" not "give up! you cant do it!"

your mindset is "im going to fail" so you see this as another nail in your oversized coffin. you need to say "screw it, I'm gonna win F^CK YOU COOKIES IM GONNA FINISH THE RACE!"

that cookie tricked you. like a dirtbag ex boyfriend. be angry at the cookies, figure out how it happened and don't do it again.

maybe by not buying cookies. just sayin. This should be a life long change for you, so its not going to change the direction you are going in. only you can do that.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support and suggestions everyone. I feel better already. I will start over again tomorrow.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It was 1120 calories. Not *too* bad! Don't let this discourage you!!
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options

I was about to say the same thing... 1120 is a lot to eat in one sitting, but it's really not the end of the world. You just won't loose that extra .3 pound this week. Don't beat yourself up about it, you'll just end up feeling lousy and unmotivated. You just had an indulgent moment. That's fine if you don't repeat it. Besides, you can easily knock off 500 calories a day in a 45 minute elliptical/pool/track workout. The biggest of your worries right now should be how sick you're going to feel later tonight. Haha.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There is nothing easy about this journey. Don't give up. Keep your eye on the prize. You do not have to be perfect to do this. You just have to have more good days than not. A bad day is not the end of the world. Tomorrow is a new day. Just pick it right up again. Be kind to yourself and don't ever punish or beat yourself up, just keep moving forward, one step in front of the other.

Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

For me it's all about a calorie budget. I had less of a budget available when I was losing weight, more to spend now that I'm maintaining and all the tools I used for weight loss come into play for the rest of my life maintaining.

When you have accumulated excess fat, you have accumulated a debt. It is hard to pay off the debt (you have less calories to spend). If you are sitting next to someone your same gender and height and they are not overweight and you are, they get to eat more than you (have more calories to spend) because they are debt free. You have less calories to spend because you are paying off your debt.

When I was losing weight I did this a few times, ate something that immediately brought my weight up the next day and it took a couple of weeks to gain ground. You can't out exercise too many calories, it will not work. You must figure out how to set up your environment for success and minimize your chances of doing that. We got all treats like that out of the house. If I wanted a cookie I'd plan it and go get it at starbucks or a bakery or whatever, never bringing them home. It's not that you can't have treats, but if you truly want success you need to plan them in your budget. You can't have them all at once. When you have one you will always want more. I tell myself I can have more next time. You can have everything you want just not all at once. A book that helped me with these ideas what John Barban's Anything Goes Diet. It is not a diet, just a way of eating, whatever your diet. Here is an article he just posted on his blog, it's got pretty good ideas, actually his blog has some great stuff --> http://johnbarban.com/whats-your-diet-and-exercise-plan-for-the-next-7-weeks/

Thanks Caligirl, the article is interesting. Especially about the holiday tips and eating accordingly. So I can still enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner w/o going overboard. I just need to plan for it in advance.

Thanks for the wealth of info on calories and weight loss. It's a tremendous help to me and to others here.
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's okay. Tomorrows a new day and forget about today. I did the same thing today, only I MADE the brownies because I had chocolate cravings and the ate prolly 1/4 of the pan. We all have days like this. Just move on from it. You can do this!
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The only way you "undo" all of your work is to stop altogether.

You made a mistake. Its ok. You are not going to gain all of the weight you took off. You might see a *temporary* gain, but it will disappear as long as you keep going. You ate 1,120 calories. That's all. Not even enough to gain one pound of fat.

Make you next choice a better one.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I ask myself "Is this worth the calories?" which you acknowledged afterwards - still a step in the right direction!! Just ask yourself before hand next time. "Worth it" can mean so many different things like will I enjoy it, is it something new and exotic, is it fresh (day old donuts - so not worth it!!!) so it is important to think about it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Not even one lb gained. 3 x 30 min of exercise will null those "evil" cookies.