Eating with your eyes at the food museum...

Options
...AKA the grocery store :laugh: Anyone else do this? :embarassed:

Wandering over to the bakery, inspecting all the cookies, muffins, cakes and desserts. Browsing the frozen desserts section, as well as the cookie and snack foods aisle. Looking, but not touching.

A year ago this would have been dangerous and torture for me, but I find eye-eating oddly satisfying now. It's probably not right or healthy, but it is what it is.

(disclaimer: I'm not saying any of the above foods mentioned in this post are "bad" to eat in moderation, it's just that I personally have little restraint when it comes to baked goods and frozen dairy products!)

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Woops, meant to post this isn Food and Nutrition. I guess it still applies because it sort of helps me, lol.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    You know... I do the same thing. My hubby (who is also trying hard to eat better and make healthier choices) always says, "WHY!?!?!? WHY DO YOU DO THIS!!?!?"

My answer is pretty simple:

When you start cleaning your body of the sugar high and overdose in those "treats" and eat better (Like those AHHHMAAAAZZZING Pecan Pie Torts from SkinnyTaste.com!), you learn how to re-taste GOOD FOOD. My sweet tooth isn't what it used to be, thank GOD!, and I know it's from not buying those things. Yeah, the smell is intoxicating in the bakery section, but after a while, I can actually taste the sugar overload. Bleh!!!!

So, you're not alone!!! :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with your reasoning. When I stay away from sugar for a few weeks, the cravings go away, and very sweet, sugary store-bought things lose their appeal to me. That being said, I will not be a stranger to a macaroon or chocolate croissant from a fancy bakery every once in a blue moon.

Last time I did this, I actually saw a couple products that the old me would have loved, but after looking at the sugar content I think "Ooh! I should try and re-create this at home with less sugar" so it's also kind of inspiring. I'm an artist and get inspired by looking at other art, so the same would make sense for the at-home chef in me :)

Thanks for your reassurance!