looking for recipes for dry beans

annastasia76
annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
I like cooking as fresh as possible I don't like buying canned beans at all, plus dry beans are cheaper and aren't hard to cook but my kids are getting bored of the same old chili, split pea soup, 15 bean soup, and re-fried beans (cooked without oil)

Please send me links to recipes that utilize dry beans and fresh (not canned) ingredients.

I'm also looking for crock pot recipes that utilize fresh ingredients, all the ones I have found call for canned this, prepackaged that and IMHO that's not what a crock pot was meant for.

Replies

• Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    I'm no help. One of my fave fatty meals was (I say was because I no longer eat it) Ham hauks and beans!!!!!!!!!!! Soooo cheap, soooo good, sooooo fatty... :laugh: I must google this refried bean thing of yours without oil! I love beans and would also like to know more recipies for them :love:
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    well the way my husband told me to make refried beans, you cook the beans until tender (don't add any salt, it will harden the skins), separate the beans from the water but save the water, I am lazy and mash my beans in my kitchenaid mixer, put them back in the pan and depending on how much water was in the beans add half to most of it back, about 4-6 cups it will look like there is way too much water, then cook it down until it is of the consistency desired. while it's cooking you can add stuff for flavor, I like to add cooked onions and green pepper, garlic and a small amount of salt, low sodium chicken broth will add some good flavor too.

I rarely use oil when I'm cooking.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    All you have to do is google dry bean recipes and you'll have more than you know what to do with.
  • Hi!

I'm with you on trying to cook with ingredients that are as fresh as possible. I even grown and dry my own black beans. (My favorite bean!)

For recipes, you can try the Bob's Red Mill site. It has recipes for everything from appetizers to desserts using unique grains and flours. http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes.php

Another good one is eat me, delicious. It is a vegetarian site; most recipes I have seen have the amount of cooked beans and their equivalent in the canned version. http://www.eatmedelicious.com/

And then there's the U.S. Dry Bean Council's site. Not sure how many of the recipes are weight-loss, healthy-eating friendly, but you may be able to tweak the recipes. http://www.usdrybeans.com/recipes/

Another idea is to check your library to see if they have any organic/healthy cooking cook books.

Good luck!
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    I just finished making white bean soup. I used a small package of ham ends from Wal Mart. $2.99. I chopped it up removed the fat plus I only used half and it was plenty. I soaked 1 pkg of white beans over night. 1 tblsp of olive oil in pan added the ham, one onion, 1 stalk of celery, 2 carrots and 3 coves of garlic. I sauteed them all until tender added the beans 3 cups of low sodium chicken broth and 3 cups of water. Salt and pepper to taste. I cooked it for 3 hours on low ..when beans were soft i mushed alittle of the beans to make the broth alittle thicker. I didnt figure out the calories or anything but it tasted wonderful. Easy, and cheap..I suppose you could do this in the crock pot if you wanted to.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    I know this has canned items, but I just finsihed eating a bowl of my black bean soup for lunch and it was so yummy ! I cooked dried black Beans (from my dad's garden) in water with minced garlic & chopped onions until tender, added 2 cans of Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies, a can of diced green chiles & some sodium free chicken stock. It was kind of spicy and great as a meal with some light quesadillas!:love:
    You could easily change it up with fresh diced tomatoes, chilies & spicy peppers.
  • This isn't a recipe, but you might find it interesting. My nutritionist said to reduce the "gas" element in cooked dry beans, do this: Soak beans overnight (or sometimes I do a quick soak) then drain them, and put them in containers in the freezer. When you take them out after freezing and cook them, the gasiness will be gone.
This discussion has been closed.