The search for Red Wine!

manetta1
manetta1 Posts: 138
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Ok. I've read one glass of read wine is healthy for you because of the antioxidents in it. My tastebuds are pretty picky and I can't seem to find a red wine I enjoy. Hell the only white wine I enjoy is Moscoto. So I'm looking for something sweet, probably carbonated if possible. Do you guys have any recommendations? I tried the wine at Trader Joe's, sweet red. That was just awful. I really think it has to be carbonated because than my body may think its soda. I use to be a big drinker of soda but not anymore. All your suggestions would be much appreciated. No I am not going to binge on the wine. I just would like to have one glass with dinner and reap the benefits! Thanx again

Mike

Replies

• goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    How about Champagne and Pomegranate Cocktail

Ingredients
    1 sugar cube
    1 fluid ounce pomegranate juice
    3 fluid ounces dry sparkling wine
    Pomegranate seeds, optional
    Directions
    Place a sugar cube in the bottom of a champagne flute. Pour the pomegranate juice over it, then the sparkling wine. Drop a few pomegranate seeds into the glass. Serve.

Yield: 1 drink

Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.
  • Give Lambrusco a try.....sweet and tangy red. Should be easy to find too. Good Luck
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Beringer makes a merlot that is fairly sweet but it's not carbonated.
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Give Lambrusco a try.....sweet and tangy red. Should be easy to find too. Good Luck

I concur!!!
  • You might like a red zinfandel. Try Ravens Wood - Vintners Blend. It is on the sweet side. And you can just add a little club soda or sugar free sprite/7-up for the carbonation.
  • Pinot Noir is my fave red wine, but you could also try Rosa - I think it's an italian red wine. If all else fails just pick a red wine and mix with sprite.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Give Lambrusco a try.....sweet and tangy red. Should be easy to find too. Good Luck

I LOVE Lambrusco...........:smile:
  • Hey Mike;
    I started off only liking sweet wines.... and have now gone to drier red's as my palette grew (meaning, as I got older).

There are many sweeter reds (and whites) out there that you may want to try. How to find them? In most wine and liquor stores there is a rating system that shows the 'relative sweetness' of the wine. A "0" wine is dry (pucker dry) as the amount of 'free sugar' left in the wine is very low. A "1" wine is a bit sweeter. A "2" (like Lambrusco or Beringer) has a good amount of sweetness in it.

There are a lot of wines out there that are 'fortified' as well that have the wine, increased sugars and, generally, increased alcohol. Dubonnet, Sweet Red Vermouth and Ports are examples. What I would do is check with your local wine shop, look for the sweetness ratings on the wines and start with the "2's" and if this doesn't work, try a Dubonnet (4 oz. glass) as a part of a nice meal.

Oh.... and check out some of the Australian Merlot's or Shiraz's. They have enough body and sweetness that may meet your needs. Last, thing.... life is too short to drink bad wine.... so regardless of the recommendations, if it doesn't suit your palette, use it for cooking!

R.
  • Yup, me too. I was going to suggest that but saw that many people already had! Lambrusco, that is...
  • Try looking for a sparkling pinot noir. You won't find a carbonated wine unless it is champagne, brut or sparkling.
    The pinot noir isn't sweet, but sometimes you can find it blended with a chardonnay.
    If you are new to reds, try starting with a Rose or a Gamay (aka Beaujolais) - we refer to them as "pizza wine" as it goes well with a lot of food and is easier to drink.
    There are a lot of blended reds that are great.... best way to do it is just try it! And like RandallTBlack said, if you don't like it, cook with it.
    You will eventually develop your palette and will learn to love big heavy reds! I know I did! It took a while but I got there and now prefer them! :)
    My family is in the wine business and when they started I hated all wine - was a total beer drinker, but my dad would make me try it regardless of what I thought... but now its fun to try new wines, and there is so much to learn out there!
    Oh also, try some red dessert wines (late harvest or Icewine)! YUMMY!! And super sweet! Good in small quantities!

** Wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy! **
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    white merlots are pretty sweet. Rabbits Head cabernet is sweet and fruity. Just try a bunch until you find your fave
  • I love red wine, but if it's just the antioxidants your looking for, you can have real grape juice and green tea instead!

If your realy looking for a good red wine you might wanna try zinfandel....
This discussion has been closed.