Lifting Heavy

Options
I want to start lifting heavy but have no idea where to start, or what kind of routine to do, etc. Should I do cario before/after, none at all? HELP.

I also have really bad hip problems... not caused by being over weight. So, this can be detrimental, but maybe there's things that can help? MY hip flexors are really bad and could use some strengthening from being injured so long. My SI joint is messed up (where the hip joint connects to your back) and it slides out all the time so I have to be really careful with that too.

Help, por favor :)

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :ohwell:

:flowerforyou:
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    One, if you have hip problem, focus on stretches for that area of your body before any routine. Google hip stretches and I'm sure you'll find plenty of them. Other than that, I'd recommend the 5X5 workout. It is a lifting heavy, 3 days a week routine. Google 5X5 workout routines and look around.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    As far as my hips go, I already have hip stretches from my physical therapist.

And thanks, I'll check it out.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    If you have a problem like that, can i recommend seeing a personal trainer for some customized workouts.

If you lift something and your SI joint comes out your gonna hurt yourself.
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Regarding one of your questions, I do cardio after lifting. Once you've been lifting a while (more than a couple months) you'll want full energy stores for your main lifts. No sense getting tired from cardio then only having the gas to do 2/3 the weight for fewer reps. It's all about the glycogen
  • LadyVeng3ance
    LadyVeng3ance Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I just started lifting this week. And Im actually following a plan someone on here showed me!
    This article has a 12 week plan, but also talks alot about lifting, and tips etc!

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Good luck! x
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Hi!

I just started lifting this week. And Im actually following a plan someone on here showed me!
    This article has a 12 week plan, but also talks alot about lifting, and tips etc!

Good luck! x

I was just reading that! Do you take the suggested supplements? And do you take protein as well?
  • fitnessgal1318
    Options
    I would check out Jamie Eason's LiveFit program on Bodybuilding.com. This is a really great 12 week program. The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great program too. There is alot of information about that on the boards here as well about that book/program. But as already mentioned...make sure you are ok to lift heavy with some of the joint issues you are experiencing. Good luck!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in starting this too, being meaning too for a while as I have just being doing cardio. Would anyone say the 30 day shred is a good place to start or are you better doing an actual weight lift programme? :)
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Regarding one of your questions, I do cardio after lifting. Once you've been lifting a while (more than a couple months) you'll want full energy stores for your main lifts. No sense getting tired from cardio then only having the gas to do 2/3 the weight for fewer reps. It's all about the glycogen

Yes -- what he said. But I also do about 5-10 minutes cardio before lifting to make sure I'm really warmed up. And as someone else suggested, if you have physical issues, it would be worthwhile to have a session with a well-recommended trainer who knows his/her physical stuff beyond standard PT training.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I'm interested in starting this too, being meaning too for a while as I have just being doing cardio. Would anyone say the 30 day shred is a good place to start or are you better doing an actual weight lift programme? :)

I tried the 30 day shred...not even remotely close to heavy lifting if that's what you're looking for. It is a good workout, though. Probably a good place to start if you haven't been working out, etc.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    One, if you have hip problem, focus on stretches for that area of your body before any routine. Google hip stretches and I'm sure you'll find plenty of them. Other than that, I'd recommend the 5X5 workout. It is a lifting heavy, 3 days a week routine. Google 5X5 workout routines and look around.

I second this. Also, check with a doctor a physical therapist to make sure you can proceed without further injury. When you do start lifting, start light and really key in on form to prevent injuries down the road. I am doing SL 5x5 right now and love it. I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women, but found it to have too many lifts and a bit complicated. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I tried the 30 day shred...not even remotely close to heavy lifting if that's what you're looking for. It is a good workout, though. Probably a good place to start if you haven't been working out, etc.

yea looking for heavy lifting myself, may give it a go though and take the heavy lifting from there.

Best of luck with yours though, hope you find something that works for you. :)
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you have a problem like that, can i recommend seeing a personal trainer for some customized workouts.

If you lift something and your SI joint comes out your gonna hurt yourself.
    I don't usually suggest personal trainers but I have to agree with this. You could seriously hurt yourself and they probably know about your condition and can suggest safer exercises for you. Then as you get stronger, you can start a routine from the internets :)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Good luck! x

I was just reading that! Do you take the suggested supplements? And do you take protein as well?

That's a decent article but I would ignore the supplement section.

I really would not suggest starting with something like 5x5 given your hip and SI joint issues. You really need a workout that addresses these issues specifically and works around any problem areas.

Single leg work and those variations would probably be a better idea. I would suggest a decent personal trainer also.
  • LadyVeng3ance
    Options
    Hi!

Good luck! x

Hmm, I have bought protein shakes, but I dont take any other supplements yet! I kinda need to get into the flow of doing all the exercises and stuff before I even concider buying more supplements :)
  • LadyVeng3ance
    Options

I read somewhere that because weightlifting increases your metabolism you should not wait. You should start doing it like yesterday ;)

You can do 30 day shred and weightlifting?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I want to start lifting heavy but have no idea where to start, or what kind of routine to do, etc. Should I do cario before/after, none at all? HELP.

I also have really bad hip problems... not caused by being over weight. So, this can be detrimental, but maybe there's things that can help? MY hip flexors are really bad and could use some strengthening from being injured so long. My SI joint is messed up (where the hip joint connects to your back) and it slides out all the time so I have to be really careful with that too.

Help, por favor :)

You need an all body women's weight lifting routine, a beginner program that uses dumbbells is good. There are several mentioned around here that many women like, some more expensive than others. I liked the Venus Index and it's priced on the higher end like cross fit and beach body, there are cheaper ones like the new rules of lifting for women and some free routines on bodybuilding.com

Here's a sample of some of the routines in the workout I do. I did not design them and I don't do all of them every day, but the routines are usually all body, on rare occasion splilts during the week where you focus on a different body part each day.

Cardio is optional. I run after I lift. I just do a short warmup of air squats or jumping jacks sometimes before I start lifting, especially if I start with legs. The warmup just needs to be short and you do not need to break a sweat or make it very intense. It is just to get the blood flowing and minimize the risk of injury.

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Deadlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and Calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.

Oh and I forgot to add. I have hip problems too. Unfortunately for me it runs in the family, my mom already had both hips replaced an her problems started at age 50 like with me, but she didn't exercise and she stayed over weight. I have arthritis bad enough to bother me when I lift and I simply take some joint supplements to help. I found losing the fat really helped me with almost all of my health issues, including my lower back pain which was chronic for 15 years prior. It's like taking off a 60 lb back pack that I carried around 24 x 7 for years. The health benefits are AMAZING. Anyway I refuse to let the arthritis stop me from lifting and running, some day it might but for now I chose to work through it.

Oh yeah and don't wait to start. I lifted when I was obese. Just find the correct weights for you and go at your own pace. Don't compare yourself to others. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am. Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.