Fruits and Veggies

Options
Talking to a friend who has been through some nutrition classes and such, and was told some fruits and veggies are negative calories and shouldn't be counted daily. Things like apples, carrots, celery, broccoli and some things like that that take more energy to digest than the calories your eating.

So the days when I eat raw, uncooked foods like those do I just leave them off my food diary?

Replies

• saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree, sorry. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies, and don't believe in eliminating these unless there's a medical reason (intolerances/allergies). Fruit and vegetables are packed full of nutrients and vitamins our bodies require and are the healthiest, most natural sources of food you can eat. I eat plenty on a daily basis and it has never hindered weight loss.

It's actually recommended to eat a variety of different coloured fruit and veggies in order to get the different vits. Eat away and enjoy.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a negative calorie food.

An apple has maybe 100 calories and 20g sugar, not to mention carbs - that's an awful lot not to be logging!

Some veggies have so little it's hardly worth counting, but others have, so I find it easier to log them all than have to decide is this a logging veg or a non-logging one. Plus your diary then records how well you did on getting your 5 a day!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a negative calorie food.

An apple has maybe 100 calories and 20g sugar, not to mention carbs - that's an awful lot not to be logging!

Some veggies have so little it's hardly worth counting, but others have, so I find it easier to log them all than have to decide is this a logging veg or a non-logging one. Plus your diary then records how well you did on getting your 5 a day!

^^ This

Eat lots of fruits and veggies, definitely! But don't even think that you can just not log them and they didn't count. They are lower calories than most other foods, but the concept of negative calories is a myth. I'm not sure what kind of nutrition class would be teaching that. A lot of times with things like spinach, I don't bother weighing, but rather just overestimate. But I will still log it because my body received those calories.
  • KylaQ
    KylaQ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks everyone!