Brown Rice- How to make it tasty?

Options
Any tips on how to make brown rice not taste so bland?

Replies

• peanutbutterpretzels
    Options
    top it with stir fried veggies? :) what i love to do is in a bowl, scramble 1 egg with 1 tbsp soy sauce, pour it into a pan and cook it then put it on top my rice. it is soo good!

other things that i think taste good with rice are
    - soy sauce
    - rice seasonings (check your local asian market)
    - butter
    - pepper & salt
    - curry

pretty much anything really! :D what type of food do you like?
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I made a massive batch the other day to freeze down. Here's what I do:

Fry some garlic and onion (however much you want...I used 4 cloves of garlic and 1 onion), "toast" the rice to absorb the flavour, add boiling water and add a stock cube. I don't eat meat so used a veggie one, but chicken or beef can work too. Cook as instructed. Once ready, I mix in some mushrooms and spinach, and add some chilli infused olive oil. Delicious!

ETA: Plenty of herbs and spices are good as well.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    It's great mixed with grilled or roasted veggies, like red bell peppers, zucchini, etc.

But favorite way to fix it is as a pilaf -

I saute celery, green onion, garlic and mushrooms in butter (can use olive oil, but butter is delicious!). Add some pasta near the end, if desired, and let it brown, too. Oh, and toss in some dried herbs of your choice - herbs de provence, or thyme, sage, basil, whatever you like. Add your brown rice (or add the sauteed veggies to your rice in a rice cooker), use low sodium chicken broth instead of water, and let it cook. It's delicious.

I always make a big batch, and leftovers (if there are any) are awesome in a soup.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Throw it in the trash and instead cook jasmine or basmati. Cook the rice in a stock or sprinkle some MSG into the water when you cook
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Throw it in the trash and instead cook jasmine or basmati. Cook the rice in a stock or sprinkle some MSG into the water when you cook

^ I love jasmine and basmati rice. So yummy.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    rub bacon on it.

(that's all I got)
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    rub bacon on it.

(that's all I got)

that must be delicious.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Sauces and spices are your friends.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I buy the brown basmati rice, it's fantastic and has a really nice texture.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I add chicken to my brown rice with garlic and a little olive oil and mushrooms. Its good stuff!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

I put wild rice in soup. I love the mixture with black and multicolored rice. I still love white rice and eat it on occasion because it tastes SO GOOD. LOL
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Cook it in a stock, like chicken, beef or vegetable. I prefer wild rice ..
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, some of these ideas sound amazing!
  • StyxxandStones
    Options
    I usually just eat it with steamed broccoli and baked tilapia. My kids mix it all up and eat it together.
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    I use chicken broth (low sodium) instead of water when I make rice, really adds to the flavor.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    How to make brown rice tasty? Replace it with white rice. You get more nutrients from a sprig of broccoli than the hull of a rice grain, and if you're eating brown rice for the dietary fiber you're only getting a small amount of fiber for a whole lot of awful taste to overcome.

Seriously.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    No help here- I think brown, white, yellow, red, purple, green, and all other colors of rice are disgusting.
  • suzioli
    Options
    A good brown rice has a very "nutty" flavor already. I add a little soy sauce and some scallions....delicious!
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I usually just add the zero calorie butter spray and some no salt seasoning to it when I get ready to eat it.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    By eating white rice.