is it bad to have 3 meals a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing for me to feel "normal" in my weight loss is to eat a small breakfast and lunch and then sit down to a proper dinner with my other half in the evening. Is this ok? I know some people eat 5 meals a day but I don't think that would be effective with me as I would have to eat really small portions. Also I only get half an hour's break during the day at work as I run my own business at the moment so I don't know how I would find time to eat 5 times lol

In some European countries it's a big breakfast, a big lunch and a small dinner. In the U.S. this seems to not be the case and my humble opinion is that it is what leads to weight gain. Big dinner, sit in front of the TV and then bed.

In my humble opinion the problem here is total calorie consumption and not the order in which those calories are consumed.
  • soldierbot
    soldierbot Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The past few weeks, I have settled into a two meal a day habit. I take some vitamins/minerals with coffee in the morning and then a nice sized lunch followed by a larger dinner. I find that splitting my 1630 calories a day into two meals is easier and satiates best.. Sometimes, I have a crystal light and a piece or two of 90% chocolate as a sweet snack in the evenings.

I really don't have any hunger pangs with this approach.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    3 square meals is my favorite. Keeps me full
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    calories, doesn't matter how you get them in, just get em' :)
  • VelaPulsar
    Options
    I know how many Cals I need per day so I eat when I'm hungry. My meal times have become more frequent and in smaller portions. It was a gradual transition.
  • robyn0123
    robyn0123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different as long as your 3 meals keeps you from feeling hungry througout the day then there is no problem. I do 3 smaller meals and 2 snacks otherwise I am reaching for the candy bowl at work by 10a and 3p!
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    We humans are designed to constantly eat tiny amounts all day long, and drink water all day long.
  • phillips0911
    Options
    In my opinion... it's a personal decision. I just eat when I'm hungry and try to make the right choices. Do what works for you. :)
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    We humans are designed to constantly eat tiny amounts all day long, and drink water all day long.

That's not actually true. New scientific evidence, specifically in evolutionary and biological psychology show that we as humans are designed to eat as much as possible when food is available. So technically if food is available all day long, then we are designed to eat it and eat as much of it as possible. The prevalence of obesity in the 1st world support this. As well as there are many animal trials that support this.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I know people who only have 3 meals a day, and others who eat about every 3-4 hours. I try to eat when I'm hungry.

You have to find a way that works for you. Although I would suggest that you make lunch be your biggest meal. There was a study done several years ago where 1 group had a big lunch, small breakfast & dinner, and group 2 had small breakfast and lunch, big dinner. Group 1 actually lost weight because they have more of the day left to burn off the calories from the bigger meal.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options

And it is this kind of misinformation that creates these debates.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options

lol no where do people get this information?