Pear Shapes and Jeans! Advice please!

Options
Hi everyone :flowerforyou: this is a question for all my pear shape ladies on MFP -- where do you buy your jeans?

I ordered two pairs from American Eagle recently on the advice of a friend (who I realize now is not a pear shape :cry:) and... in all truth, it has been a while since I've worn jeans, so I forgot about that old "fits perfectly everywhere BUT the waist" dilemma. The jeans were pretty snug/just about right in the legs but the waist was way too loose! I'm sure that if I wear these they'll just keep riding lower and lower, descending into inappropriate levels. :laugh:

ALSO: thoughts on skinny jeans and pear shapes? Can we pull them off or should we stick to boot-cut? What about low-rise (I personally prefer mid-rise because otherwise I worry about flashing innocent passersby...)?

Help!!

Replies

• missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I wear American Eagle as well because of their short legs!

I find that the legs tend to be tight....and end up wearing a belt for the waist.

I pull of skinny jeans quite well...it accentuates the beautiful curves :)
  • Polparrot
    Polparrot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was just me!!! I have bought so many pairs of jeans over the years and no matter what weight I am the problem remains...............perfect fit everywhere but the waist. At the moment i´m a UK size 8 and have at least 3 inches excess around the waist. REALLY annoying!
    P.S I can´t pull off skinny jeans, much prefer boot leg x
  • Casfarren
    Casfarren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find that anywhere that has a cut called "curvy" or says that is it made for more curvy figures is usually the way to go. They are cut for larger hips/butts but smaller waists. I know both old navy and the gap have created cuts like this. you might want to check them out.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Levi's 515
    Target Fit 4
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    No matter what pair of jeans I buy, always have to wear a belt so I'm not crack flashing the general public.

I think skinny jeans just don't work on pear shapes. I always get boot cut, occassionally straight leg.

Mostly I stick with something that has stretch, I think they hug the body better overall and are more flattering. I don't have a particular brand.. I'm a thrift store shopper so I havne't bought new since I got into a size where I could go shopping at the thrift stores!!
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Try the sweetheart cut at Old navy.

Have Skinny's for boots, but I don't wear them otherwise.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have always had a problem with jeans fitting too losely at the waist. A belt makes them too bunchy all around especially the tummy & zipper area. I recently bought some Lee jeans. They are relaxed & fit at the waist. They also come in short, medium & long. I'm 5'4" & take 8S or 6M. I got them at JCPernneys. They also come in lots of colors besides blue denim.
    I also found some "curvy fit" pants that fit really well. I'm glad the manufacturers are finally catering to the needs of us pear shaped women. It's worth checking this out.
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I usually buy all my jeans/pants at Lane Bryant. Usually the fit is great except for the waist. If I go up a size then the waist feels good, but everything else is too big. I hate pants of all kinds! I can't bring myself to try the skinny jeans, I don't want to look like an ice cream cone. I have a few pairs of straight leg jeans, but I prefer flare or boot cut jeans. As far as cut, I've had good luck with the trouser jeans/pants. Also, last year I bought a few pairs of jeggings in flare and boot cut styles. They have stretch to them which is nice, I just wish they had pockets. I haven't had to buy any new jeans lately, but Lane Bryant used to have a color system; yellow, blue and red. The red always fit me best, the blue was too big and the yellow was more for the straight or banana shape. Good luck to you!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I wear skinny jeans. Yes they make my hips look big but my hips ARE big.
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone! Those who recommended Old Navy - actually the only pair of jeans I own that fit close to perfectly are from Old Navy two years ago, but I wasn't sure if they were still being manufactured. I'll try hitting up one of their stores again :happy:
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I cant even stand to wear jeans lately as they are 2 sizes bigger than my original size. Denim doesnt fit me properly and I've always had trouble with it. :grumble:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I wear Levi's bold curve which is made for small waist with bottom heavy.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    I only wear skinny jeans from h&m (they're quite stretchy) and as long they are dark or black, they don't make my hips look bigger. Actually, they make my lower body appear slimmer
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Some of the old navy and so called curvy jeans can end up looking like "mom" jeans. I found this gals blog on pinterest. And now am being wary of how the back looks. Www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've found good jeans at Lucky Brand... and they are expensive, but they last and wear well. Some of mine are low rise and I don't find an issue.... as long as it's sung enough, it won't go anywhere. If you get a mid-rise and it's too big in the waist, then get a belt or have a tailor take it in.

As far as skinny jeans go, I rock them. Jessica Simpson makes some jeggins which are really stretchy and fit well.. I own two pairs, and I love them!
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I too have this problem so glad to hear some places I can go next. Thanks..........
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Some of the old navy and so called curvy jeans can end up looking like "mom" jeans. I found this gals blog on pinterest. And now am being wary of how the back looks. Www.graspingforobjectivity.com/2012/07/gap.html
    What is mom jeans? To be honest I can't see any difference.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    What is mom jeans? To be honest I can't see any difference.

Mom jeans = high waisted, back pockets spaced at a weird angle, loose legs . They make your butt look wide and flat
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I wear Levi's bold curve which is made for small waist with bottom heavy.

^^ This! I love my Levi skinny jeans (I'm a Supream curve though :()

Gap also do some nice fitting jeans and trousers for the curvy figure.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have always had that problem myself. Thanks for the tips.
    Personally, I like straight leg, I can wear boots or sneakers with them just fine. Skinny jeans, I don't think so, LOL, I spend too much time trying to hide my fat rear, I sure don't want to accentuate it.