Bikram Yoga?

Options
Need some suggestions! My cousin is visiting over Thanksgiving and all of the cousins were talking about going to a Bikram Yoga class. We're all between the ages of 19 and 21. I've never done this before but I've done hatha yoga about twice in the last two years. Would Bikram be a good idea for me? I'm around 40 lbs overweight and I'm not very flexible but I pick up on poses easily and know a few from my vocal/breath centering exercises that I frequently do as a vocalist. Suggestions?

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    sounds to me that the biggest adjustment will be the heated room, unless hatha yoga is in a heated room too, which i'm not sure.

being new to the hot yoga practice, and attending only 6 or 7 sessions so far, i can tell you it takes multiple sessions to adjust to the heat. and while i thought i got a lot out of the first session, looking back on it, i really didn't, other than the satisfaction of being able to stay in the room the whole time. having been several times now, i am really starting to see/feel the benefit of it. not sure you will see too much from one visit.

however, if going with a few people, i am sure it'll be fun. in our hot room, there is no talking, so it isn't a place to chit chat with cousins, but there is always plenty to talk about afterward.

good luck.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Just remember to be careful- if you feel faint, sick, or even just a bit weird, leave the room. No one will laugh :)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Bring 2 towels (one to put over your mat and one to wipe off sweat) and a big bottle of water. The Bikram sequence is the same each time. You can look it up to get a sense of the poses. Let them know you are new and they should be good about walking you through the sequence. I love hot yoga but it can be weird the first time you do it. Unless you have health issues I don't recommend leaving the room though. If you feel off (hopefully you realize this well before you would ever feel faint) simply stop and sit and/or go into child pose until you feel ready to pick it up again. Have fun it is addicting!
  • GingerRunner
    Options
    I have completed the 60 Day Bikram Yoga Challenge (60 practices in 60 days). I can say without any hesitation it was the single best thing I've ever done for myself in my entire life. I like lots of things (running, CF, walking, etc) so I wouldn't say you should ONLY do yoga...but I definitely think one SHOULD do yoga. Bikram Yoga is designed for the effect to be "cumulative" and I am a big proponent of the Challenge. Read Bikram's book about it and decide for yourself. It's not for wimps (mentally) but anyone CAN complete it. Some days you may find yourself just lying on the mat. Whatever you do, and all Bikram instructors will tell you this, just do NOT leave the room. Your yoga for the day is to stay. in. the. room. And if that is all you accomplish that day, then that is your yoga for the day.

The promise Bikram makes is that if you commit to only 60 Days, consecutively, of his practice you will get a new Mind, Body, and Life. He does not lie. I experienced a miracle in that room.

Enjoy and welcome to your new Mind, Body, Life. Namaste.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my first class this afternoon. To be honest, I'm a bit scared. I like the heat so hopefully that won't cause an issue. But I am not flexible, not even a little bit. The website showed all the beginner poses and I might be able to do one. This will definitely be interesting.