Calling all cardio vs weights know it alls ;-)

Options

Replies

• redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    If she power cleans that I'll be really impressed :)

It's crossfit pic. She'll probably fall over
  • sammichPG
    Options
    There's no better, they work different parts of your body and obtain different results.

Cardio makes you healthier, lifting makes you stronger, develop muscles (no you won't get bulky) and reshape your body.

Do both.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

I'm just wondering where she picked up those socks. :noway:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To be considered weight training, you need progressive overload. This means continually increasing the demands on the musculoskeletal system (and CNS, for a while). For practical purposes, this means continually moving forward adding either reps or weight. Jillians workouts could work for a short while, but because of the high-repetitions most people who consider themselves weight lifters consider those workouts endurance with resistance, rather than weight lifting.

Usually to be considered strength training you want to perform an exercise at an appropriate weight such that you hit temporary failure in under 13 reps.
    1-5 reps for strength and power
    5-8 reps for strength and hypertrophy
    8-13 reps for hypertrophy and endurance
    13+ reps for endurance.

Note that there is little hypertrophy in the 1-5 rep range. For this reason, stronglifts 5x5 ( 5 sets of 5 reps) is a great program for both men and women, and women can undergo it without fear of looking like Arnold. (not that I agree you can end up that way accidentally, but avoiding hypertrophy training ensures it)

To get it back to the correct answer - ^this
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

More likely break her wrist - she is using a mixed grip for deadlifts.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I was trying to figure it out, I thought she might impart a spin and drop one end.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    This is weight lifting:
    female-deadlift.jpg

This is not:

girl-with-weights-240jd1002.jpg

Amen!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

DavPul - would you say that if the pushup was increased by a succession of resistances, say inclined, diamond, one-arm, all the way to planche pushups - that bodyweight exercises if approached in this way could be considered a legitimate program of strength training.. ....
    Sure, if you can drop and do 100 pushups that is no longer strength comparatively, but if you were to increase the difficulty you could possibly find a pushup exercise which was in the 5 - 8 reps range again?

Not trying to be a smart *kitten* - serious question. Not trying to derail the original thread as DVDs like 30DS do include things like pushups but they are in sets of like 30 reps so they couldn't be considered strength - unless you adapt the DVD
    and do less reps but make the exercise harder (increased the resisance in effect) if you see what I mean.

Good question. Short answer is yes. But after all the fuss to make a pushup so hard that I can only do 5-8 wouldn't it be easier to just lay on a bench and press a bar overhead? Not to mention safer. I'd be doing a one handed handstand pushup with a full grown woman holding 5lb weights balancing on top of my feet. I'm trying to work out, not join the Cirque de Soliel.

Same applies to adapting the dvds. Once we've adapted them to make them strength training dvds we're basically only left with the plastic wrapper that encased the dvd before you opened it up. There's no there there.

To bring it full circle back to the original post, the person sophisticated enough to adapt bodyweight exercises and 30DS type dvds into actual strength training is not the type of person that would ever buy that dvd in the first place. So in theory, a person could do what you're talking about, but in practical application it's not very likely.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If the question is if those and similar dvds count as strength training the answer is "No". Those dvds have their place but they are not the "lifting", "weights", or "strength training" that we are speaking of

Push-ups, squats, planks, etc. are all forms of strength training.

Push-ups, squats, planks, etc. are examples of exercises. But merely doing them does not mean that you have done the strength training we are speaking of. We're talking about an entire routine designed to build a foundation of strength for the whole body. I can drop down and do 100 pushups right now. That doesn't mean I've strength trained.

You're naming legit exercises. But the conversation is about legit programs

That's interesting because I have increased my strength by doing these exercises. There are also many experts in their field that would vehemently disagree with you. Strength training is about training your body to be stronger. Any exercise that accomplishes that goal can be considered strength training. Putting those exercises into a regimen would certainly be called a program. You are correct on that point.

Just because *YOU* can do 100 push-ups doesn't mean that a newbie couldn't increase their strength with them. :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

DavPul - would you say that if the pushup was increased by a succession of resistances, say inclined, diamond, one-arm, all the way to planche pushups - that bodyweight exercises if approached in this way could be considered a legitimate program of strength training.. ....
    Sure, if you can drop and do 100 pushups that is no longer strength comparatively, but if you were to increase the difficulty you could possibly find a pushup exercise which was in the 5 - 8 reps range again?

Not trying to be a smart *kitten* - serious question. Not trying to derail the original thread as DVDs like 30DS do include things like pushups but they are in sets of like 30 reps so they couldn't be considered strength - unless you adapt the DVD
    and do less reps but make the exercise harder (increased the resisance in effect) if you see what I mean.

Good question. Short answer is yes. But after all the fuss to make a pushup so hard that I can only do 5-8 wouldn't it be easier to just lay on a bench and press a bar overhead? Not to mention safer. I'd be doing a one handed handstand pushup with a full grown woman holding 5lb weights balancing on top of my feet. I'm trying to work out, not join the Cirque de Soliel.

Same applies to adapting the dvds. Once we've adapted them to make them strength training dvds we're basically only left with the plastic wrapper that encased the dvd before you opened it up. There's no there there.

To bring it full circle back to the original post, the person sophisticated enough to adapt bodyweight exercises and 30DS type dvds into actual strength training is not the type of person that would ever buy that dvd in the first place. So in theory, a person could do what you're talking about, but in practical application it's not very likely.

Once you reach a certain level of strength, then yes, free weights are the most efficient way to continue progressing. But yes, you could still progress without free weights, if you chose to do so.

But in the beginning, when lifting a gallon of milk is difficult, especially for an obese person, then body weight exercises to strengthen your core can also be highly efficient.
  • nailtechbec
    nailtechbec Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    So.......doing what I'm doing is fine for now and will help me tone but once im stronger I can don a Lycra two piece get a spray tan and start doing gorilla presses with 80kg weights !! X
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Push-ups, squats, planks, etc. are examples of exercises. But merely doing them does not mean that you have done the strength training we are speaking of. We're talking about an entire routine designed to build a foundation of strength for the whole body. I can drop down and do 100 pushups right now. That doesn't mean I've strength trained.

That's interesting because I have increased my strength by doing these exercises. There are also many experts in their field that would vehemently disagree with you. Strength training is about training your body to be stronger. Any exercise that accomplishes that goal can be considered strength training. Putting those exercises into a regimen would certainly be called a program. You are correct on that point.

Just because *YOU* can do 100 push-ups doesn't mean that a newbie couldn't increase their strength with them. :wink:

I don't think there's a single expert in anything that would say that doing some pushups is a complete strength training program. Feel free to post links if you find some. And did the OP say she was doing a regimen of bodyweight exercises or did was she asking about dvds?

I never said you can't get stronger, I said that you listed exercises but we were talking about programs. You're showing up with flour and sugar. We showed up with a cake with icing. There's a difference. What, you think I was born doing 100 pushups? No, I had to train at it and get stronger at it. Still. Not. A. Strength. Training. Program.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Yep - that's about it. I've enjoyed this thread - interesting ride!

Note to DaPul - good answer, thanks. For me, the progression through bodyweight exercises is nearer what floats my own personal boat, but I agree - once you have outgrown the more conventional bodyweigth exercises most folks would be best and safer getting under some free weights. For me it's more about the challenge of flipping from Downward Dog to full Yoga Wheel while balancing a pair of pink dumbbells on each elbow - each to their own.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Intense lifting IS the best cardio workout you an get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2PdJFbjWHEU#t=3763s
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For the ladies: http://rachelcosgrove.com/

Nuff said.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I was trying to figure it out, I thought she might impart a spin and drop one end.
    Whats wrong with the way she is lifting? Thats how I lift my dead lifts......one over one under
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    This is weight lifting:
    female-deadlift.jpg

This is not:

luv it
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I don't think there's a single expert in anything that would say that doing some pushups is a complete strength training program. Feel free to post links if you find some. And did the OP say she was doing a regimen of bodyweight exercises or did was she asking about dvds?

I never said you can't get stronger, I said that you listed exercises but we were talking about programs. You're showing up with flour and sugar. We showed up with a cake with icing. There's a difference. What, you think I was born doing 100 pushups? No, I had to train at it and get stronger at it. Still. Not. A. Strength. Training. Program.

I didn't say it was a complete program. So again, I agree with that point. (You must have missed that the first time when I agreed that it's not a complete program.)

So it looks like we agree. That's great! :flowerforyou:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This is weight lifting:
    female-deadlift.jpg

This is not:

Thank you for perpetuating the myth that how much you lift is important. I guess at the end of my set, when I am doing 20lb curls, I am not lifting anymore, but doing cardio.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Whats wrong with the way she is lifting? Thats how I lift my dead lifts......one over one under

I was going to say the same thing. I don't lift now, but thirty years ago (:blushing: ) that's how I was taught - to stop you leaning over the bar or leaning too far back, we were taught to do one under one over to equal out the grip and stance and swap hand grips over the next set to balance out the sides.