need help with my stubborn waist!

Options
I need help/advice on how to shrink my waistline. Since I started this journey last summer I have lost 23 lbs but I've only lost 1.5" in my waist. I now weigh 134 and have a waist line of 31.5". I am 5'3" so I have a healthy BMI. It is so frustrating. Most of that 1.5" loss happened early on. I haven't lost inches in months. Most of the fat is just above to just below my belly button.

I had my first child 19 months ago so I know that contributes to the tummy issues but I feel like I should've lost more inches. I do cardio and weights/strength training. I vary my workouts. I eat well. I drink lots of water. So what am I doing wrong? I read that eating really low carb for 4 weeks (50-75g a day) will burn lots of stomach fat but I am not sure if I should try that or not. (read it in Women's Health Big Book of Exercises.) HELP!

Replies

• PaigeG
    PaigeG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, we don't get to pick where we lose the weight! :-) If you have always carried weight around your middle, then your body type has not changed. The only way to reduce your waist is to reduce the fat around your waist by dieting. The exercise will help and certain types will help the midsection more than others. Zumba is a great waist whittler as is Pilates and Kickboxing. I know this has not been that helpful because there is no way to "target" fat really. Stick with it and tell us if you find anything that helps.

P.S. Look at what you're eating and make sure you are not eating a lot of sodium that will make you bloat around your middle.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Unfortunately, genetics plays such a big factor that some of our body traits can't be changed...without surgery. I have a pouchy belly, even at 115 pounds! Keep your aerobic workouts, keep ab workouts, keep up the good work! Don't get frustrated over what may not be able to be changed. Focus on your great qualities and learn to dress to make your waist appear smaller. These are the things I do!
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

More info: I always had a toned waist before my pregnancy so this is new. I am also watching my sodium intake already.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I dunno the answer, but would like to know.

Maybe when you lose the rest, it'll be in your tummy? Here's to hopin anyway.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I can only hope!
  • marniemom
    Options
    Often during pregnancy, your ab muscles split. They no longer meet in the middle but almost form an upside down v shape. My ob showed me where mine were torn to. Makes it almost impossible to have a flat belly w/o surgery. It's one of the lasting effects of pregnancy, unfortunately! Keep doing what your doing and be proud of that.:happy:
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Often during pregnancy, your ab muscles split. They no longer meet in the middle but almost form an upside down v shape. My ob showed me where mine were torn to. Makes it almost impossible to have a flat belly w/o surgery. It's one of the lasting effects of pregnancy, unfortunately! Keep doing what your doing and be proud of that.:happy:
    If you plan on having any more children,your OB can sew them back together during a c section:smile:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: Low carb does work to a certain extent. I am genetically predisposed that the weight collects around my waist AND I had 4 children. At my age (58) low carb eating works best, but not enough to shrink the tummy. When I had my last 2 babies so many years ago, I was told that my abdominal muscles were shot. I presume that eventually surgery could eventually fix that.

You are young and beautiful. Don't sweat about this too much. At the same time knowledge is power. And that is what I subscribe to. A good dose of realism and what is really important in life.

Good luck. :heart: :heart:

Rebel
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I will talk to my doctor again and see if my muscles are the issue. Last time I asked about this issue I basically got the response you had a baby and you'll never have a nice waist again ( I am summarizing). I guess I expected if I worked hard I'd see some change. I didn't expect a 6 pack but I thought I could tone enough to get rid of the "overhang" part of the belly.

Rebel- thanks for the compliment
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    For me, I think its more the fat on top of my muscles. I can feel the muscles, and can feel that there isn't much separation there. As I work the muscles, they seem to be getting better. I read this book, "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" by Julie Tupler. She talks about how to get the muscles to go back together, as long as they aren't too far gone. She describes exercises to help this and to strengthen the muscles as well.

The fat is covering my muscles. I could have the best abs in the world, but they are covered with some fat from having my babies. That's what I need to get rid of. I've always had a good stomach and the other women in my family don't really carry weight in their belly - well some do, but its not only there, its everywhere. Its not more so on the belly.

I had twins, so my muscles separated enough for my two to fit in my belly. They were 6lbs 11oz and 6 lbs 14oz, so not tiny either. Maybe you can check out this book if you think your stomach muscles aren't too bad and want to work on fixing them.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    Shamrock- thanks I will check that book out