Any one lost 70lb (ish) and got saggy skin problems?

Options
I'm aiming to lose around 70lb but as the last time I did that I was 20 and am now 27, I was wondering if I would struggle with excess skin. I'm 6ft so that weight loss won't be inches and inches off my belly, I'm just assuming your skin gets less elastic with age. Am I not old enough for that to be a problem? Or is it too small a weight loss to cause that? Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies

• cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Yep...I have hanging skin. But deflated is better than full of fat. :)
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I tried to get help for sagging skin, but no responses. All-in-all I have lost about 60 lbs, but the problem area for me seems to be below my abs. I am wondering if being relatively older has an effect?
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    As you age your skin loses it's collagen which affects elasticity, which is one reason the elderly have wrinkles and sagging skin. Usually after a lot of weight loss some skin removal surgery is normal. My sister weighed in around 300 lbs and got lap band and lost a lot of weight so she had to have surgery and they removed about 60lbs worth of skin!

Since you're 27 your skin may react differently but 70+ lbs may require some intervention to remove.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I have lost a bit more than 70 but yes, I am hoping that time and exercise will help if not then at some point i might seek some help. I am just happy to be getting into shape and losing weight and feeling better. I will deal with the skin after i have reached my goal and stayed there for a year.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I've lost 63 lbs (from 238, the day I gave birth, to 175 in just over 5 months and plan on losing somewhere around 20-30 more)) but more importantly I've lost a TON of inches, and thus far no issues with sagging skin. When I get there, I'll check back in and let you know. I lift weights 5-6 days per week though, and I highly recommend it along the way. :-) Good luck!!

ETA: I'm 25 and 5'10.5"
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yep, and in my boobs of all places. My belly looks really bad if I am laying on my side. I have also had two kids so I have to give them some credit. I think I can save my belly with some toning workouts, it looks prettty good while standing. My boobs only hope is plastic surgery.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights, all are dif but I too experience the saggy skin... I like what the other girl said "deflated" that is what happened to me. Its not funny ;) but what the hell can I do, not get fat again... and I am not havin surgery.
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've lost 86 pounds and my skin is more flappy than saggy around my belly and upper arms, but I have some hefty thighs and I notice that the inner thigh hangs a bit - and I've still got about 25 pounds left to go! I'm hoping that with time the skin may begin to tighten, but I'm not too hopeful. The only option for tighter skin is surgery, unfortunately, and I'm not planning on doing that. Like cherbapp said, it's better to be flappy and kind of gross naked than to be fat!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Mine wasn't saggy at 70 at 150 I have some issues in the belly.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Not yet, but I will....by the time I hit goal I will have lost 65 pounds and I'm already thinking my arms are going to look horrible. I'm 46 though....I am moisturizing my skin like crazy, hoping that helps!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yes I've lost over 70 and because it was from pregnancy it was all belly. Now I have some pretty nasty stuff going on in my lower belly. I'm not willing to have surgery though. It's still worth having loose skin, I can strategically hide it. I figure we all end up all wrinkly one day, I just got there earlier lol.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have a deflated belly, with saggy skin.. also pouches out around my abs becuase my muscles seperated with pregnancy.
    I have lost 87lbs, and I was hoping for better results but that didn't happen. I had full term twins and for me, I know thats the reason why I won't ever achieve it without surgery. It's not attractive, but I can't do anything about it.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    at 45 I lost 20 lbs and it all snapped back to where it needed to be.....now at 50 I had to re - lose that and 10 extra and it's saggin'. I'm having to exercise to tighten anything up and so far most of that's not really working either. I'm guessing at 50 being thin and saggy is my life now. But yeah I can squeeze the sag into a smaller size of jeans better than I can the fat..so it's all good. Plus since I'm in a marriage of only convenience...I'm the only one who sees me naked :) It's a win win for me!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    yeah, my stomach stills flabby, but its getting better now with some workouts im doing. So hopefully it will disappear after a while.
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just turned 35 & have major loose skin. I've lost 100 lbs & have 51 more to go before I reassess. I was HUGE though, 5'2 & SW 314. Right now the major places are arms, boobs, inner thighs, & some on my butt. I haven't lost enough of my stomach for that to be a problem yet, but I thinks it's fairly inevitable. Everyone is different though. I have 2 aunts & an uncle that had gastric bypass surgery & didn't end up with saggy skin & they were older than I am when they had it done. Some peoples skin justbhas more elasticity than others. I would thinking that the amount of time you have been overweight may home into play too. Maybe you'll be lucky & not have to worry about it. Surgery is definitely an option I will consider.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I have lost 112 and don't have a big problem with it. I think speed of loss and age are factors... Also water intake and weight training can help counteract these effects.
  • Davideajames
    Options
    I saw that someone else suggested it but when you start losing weight you have to do both cardio and weight training so that you do not have sagging skin. I know that my mom lost more than 100 lbs a few times in her life and did not have the sagging skin and that was all because she lifted some 2 lb weights. I will be in the same position as you are because I want to lose about 100 lbs to be at my ideal goal weight though I have not set that in stone. I just want to look good, feel good, and be healthier at whatever weight that ends up being. I wish you luck. If anyone is looking for friends I am new so I need some encouragement. :smile:
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have lost 108 pounds, and want to lose about 15-20 more. It seems like ALL of it is in my midsection, because I don't have much else to firm up on legs/arms/etc.

I am deathly afraid that my still-huge tummy is going to deflate and leave behind lots of sagging skin. I honestly don't see how to avoid that when looking at the way it looks now!

It is sad that after all of this hard work, I will still be left with a less than perfect figure. :(
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am 6'3" and have lost 113 lbs so far at 52 (nearly 53) YO. There is limited hanging skin in a few places but really it is not extreme and I have seen some tightening over the weeks... They key seems to be hydration (water or other liquids - water is better but not usually my choice of beverage)... and strength training. Really, I think at 27 years old if you hydrate well and do strength training, you should be able to avoid major issues with this. Slow loss is generally better than quick loss (though I have lost my 113 in a year)... At 25 when I lost about 90 lbs, I had NO problem with hanging skin and lost it too quick and did my strength training improperly. Strength training helps immensely with this. I really expect I will be able to overcome a lot of this.. If not as one poster said... Sagging skin is better than fat filled skin. (After all , there is always surgical help if it is a major problem).
  • salamandermouth
    salamandermouth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've lost 72 pounds and haven't had sagging skin. I'm only 23 so I think that's working in my favor but I was also very proactive about making sure my skin was always hydrated. I use coco butter every morning and night and it seems to be working. But I also always combine my cardio with weight training and I think that really helped..