What do you wear on race day?

Options
I'm running my first 10k on Thanksgiving Day. The high is supposed to be 59* that day. I'm an indoor runner and a get a bit wimpy outside in the weather so I'm clueless as to what to wear on race day. So what do you like to wear on a race day when it's cold outside?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wear layers and preferably you have proper exercise clothing that's made out of breathable moisture wicking fabric instead of cotton.

for the race i would wear compression pants, race shoes and socks. up top i'd wear my sports bra of course, a wicking tank top, a dri fit tee shirt and a zip u jacket made of breathable material. i'd also probably wear a running beanie and gloves because my hands get cold anyway.

for after the race, in my kit i'd have warm up pants and a heavier jacket

good luck on your race!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Hi - I had a similar question a few weeks ago. There was a lot of good advice, even though the temperature was different:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/786288-runners-what-to-wear
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You may feel wimpy at first but you'll warm up! Wear a toss-able layer or something you don't mind carrying. Personally for that weather I'd be in shorts, a t-shirt and gloves... I'm so wimpy when it comes to cold hands! Sometimes I'll wear my long compression socks for a little added warmth without the bulk.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of cheap disposable layers for the start of a chilly race. Like, a cheap long-sleeved T that you can ditch rather than carry, and don't mind if you get back or not. Try a goodwill type store for options in the under $5 range. The ditchable layer can be cotton, but I wouldn't wear any other cotton.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    That's not cold! I live in Ontario, Canada so cold is something in the 10 degree range. I ran yesterday at about 42 degrees with a pair of tights, a long sleeved tech shirt and my Brooks running jacket but I had to undo the jacket part way through.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    During the actual race? T-shirt & capris. You might want to bring a light jacket or pull-over for after the race. Generally, i assume I will feel 10 degrees hotter than the ambient temps while im running.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I wouldn't have thought about toss-able layers! It won't be 59* when the race starts in the morning; it will be colder! I'm also a wimp when it comes to running in heat, too.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    anything over 40 is shorts and a tech tee

Go buy the cheapest sweats you can find (WalMart?) or wear some old clothes you don't mind leaving behind and wear them over your outfit. Just before you cross the start line, discard them.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    light jacket, running pants, gloves, and a long sleeve shirt should do ya! Have fun.