Pickle Juice

Options
I've been training really hard for an upcoming marathon lately and I sometimes have issues with cramping up as well as dehydration, despite drinking sufficient amounts of water. Many fellow runners and others who are into high endurance training have recommended drinking pickle juice as a remedy against cramping and dehydration. Has anyone on board tried this before? I'm very curious and I also want the pesky cramps to go away for good. Thanks for any feedback you might have.

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Any sports drink with electrolytes in it can help with that and probably taste a lot better.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    haven't done it, but remember reading about some nfl teams (the eagles? maybe?) that have implemented it.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried something like Clif Shot Blocks?
  • allgoodthings
    allgoodthings Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If a pickle gets anywhere near food I'm eating....gross. So as for drinking pickle juice (it's the JUICE of a PICKLE!), ummmm, no. :)
  • melodyriddle17
    Options
    Totally off topic but I love drinking pickle juice. It's one of my favorite treats and people always think it's strange when I do it.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Knightreader: Yes, Andy Reid is a big believer in pickle juice and that's when I first heard of the idea. But I'm hearing more and more folks who are into high endurance training that are drinking it now before a workout. I'm going to try it when I run in the morning.
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    UGH, yuck! You will get better results from drinking a Gatorade, which is a lot yummier. There are Gatorades for athletes that have extra electrolytes and sodium in them (which is what you're lacking when you cramp up.)

Seriously, just get some Gatorade. Don't be a fad victim.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Any sports drink with electrolytes in it can help with that and probably taste a lot better.

Not if you love pickles! :laugh: :drinker:
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Totally off topic but I love drinking pickle juice. It's one of my favorite treats and people always think it's strange when I do it.
    I like it too :) The thought of it is making my mouth water right now lol
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

This.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I love pickle juice but my stomach doesn't and I end up in the bathroom..
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    I love pickles and pickle juice :heart:
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The only reason I can guess they suggest that is because of the high sodium content of pickle juice, because if you drink too much water you need to have more salt. If you want something more natural you could try coconut water, it serves the same purpose as gatorade.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I love pickle juice! Salty and dill...YUM!:bigsmile:
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes! My husband is a football player and they do use pickle juice for cramping, they actually sell pickle juice sport drink and pickle juice popsicle. My husband swears by it....
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I love pickles but pickle juice alone is probably not a great option. Sports drinks or smart water have specific electrolyte ratios to help with performance.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    There's always a "pickleback" shot. Of course, that might be best AFTER the running. LOL.

I love pickle juice and have drank it pretty regularly for all my life. Kosher is my favorite juice to drink. I haven't drank it lately, becuase it makes me gain a pound. I think this is from fluid retention. It's best on a super hot day.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like it too :) The thought of it is making my mouth water right now lol
    Me too. I love pickles!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    "my mouth water right now lol"

OMG. I got to go and drink soem pickle juice!
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, folks. I gotta admit, some of these responses were funny as hell. LOL. I think I'm going to try it, someone else mentioned coconut water and I might give that a shot as well. Gatorade just doesn't do the trick for me.