How can I motivate myself to go to the gym?

Options
Okay so me and my family have a membership at a gym, but I really don't have motivation to go there. Honestly, I don't like working out by myself. It's boring and there are a lot of old people at my gym haha. I know some people at my gym and I have a good friend who is a member there (it's not just a gym, btw), but she never goes to work out. I have almost no motivation to work out. Now the weird thing is I have a lot of motivation to eat better/log my cals (thanks MFP!) but I just don't want to work out. Plus now that it is getting colder it is getting even worse. I am going to do track which starts in late January, but I don't know what I should do now. I really want to exercise more, because it will really help jump start my metabolism.

BTW, I am not making excuses. I'm merely telling the truth. I just don't like it for varies reasons, but I do want to enjoy working out because it's so important! Advice? How can I make working out more fun?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    This doesn't make it more fun, but when I feel motivation dragging, I make a deal with myself. If I don't go to the gym, I donate $50 to an organization I despise. You could even write the check and put it in an envelope and give it to a friend to send if you don't uphold your end of the bargain.

NOM has yet to get my $50 ;)
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Actually, you are in fact making excuses. If it's important to you, you'll do it, whether or not you find it to be "boring". Find exercises you enjoy doing. Does your gym offer classes? Spin class, zumba, kick boxing, etc. That way you're doing a variety of different things, so you don't get bored, and there are lots of other people doing it so you're not alone. But, like it or not, there's nothing we can say that will instantly motivate you, you have to want it for yourself.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Hey. I am one of the old people at the gym.
  • johannajebediah
    johannajebediah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    get a really good playlist on your ipod, or if you have an iphone you can use 8tracks at the gym (really good pre-made playlists and you can choose upbeat ones, workout ones etc) if music gets you energized. or you could download episodes of a TV show you want to catch up on and put it on an ipod touch or ipad or iphone if you have any of those.
    sometimes in the beginning, working out isnt fun, but once you start getting better at it, and you start seeing results, you will want to go and it wil become more fun. now, working out always puts a smile on my face and when i leave the gym, the rush of endorphins makes me feel amazing.

also, drink a big fruit smoothie (fruit ONLY, no dairy or anything else) right before you go or like 30 minutes before if you find it hard to workout on a full stomach. the sugars will give you so much energy to power through your workout and won't cause you to crash and feel exhausted halfway through!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Actually, you are in fact making excuses. If it's important to you, you'll do it, whether or not you find it to be "boring". Find exercises you enjoy doing. Does your gym offer classes? Spin class, zumba, kick boxing, etc. That way you're doing a variety of different things, so you don't get bored, and there are lots of other people doing it so you're not alone. But, like it or not, there's nothing we can say that will instantly motivate you, you have to want it for yourself.

This! And I am also one of the old people at the gym. Either its important enough for you to go or not. I absolutely hate strength training even though its very important so I do boxing classes at the gym instead. Bring your favorite music and when I'm on cardio equipment I often will read my nook. BUT I put my nook so that I can keep track of my heart rate/ speed so that I'm not sacrificing quality workout while getting engrossed in my book.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you are not motivated then you need to find the motivation. It comes from within.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You know what motivates me to go to the gym? Looking in the mirror. Truly.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Okay so me and my family have a membership at a gym, but I really don't have motivation to go there. Honestly, I don't like working out by myself. It's boring and there are a lot of old people at my gym haha. I know some people at my gym and I have a good friend who is a member there (it's not just a gym, btw), but she never goes to work out. I have almost no motivation to work out. Now the weird thing is I have a lot of motivation to eat better/log my cals (thanks MFP!) but I just don't want to work out. Plus now that it is getting colder it is getting even worse. I am going to do track which starts in late January, but I don't know what I should do now. I really want to exercise more, because it will really help jump start my metabolism.

BTW, I am not making excuses. I'm merely telling the truth. I just don't like it for varies reasons, but I do want to enjoy working out because it's so important! Advice? How can I make working out more fun?

First, MUSIC! I always bring my iPod with me and I have a special playlist for working out.

Second, I've found out that wearing my working out clothes even when I don't want to work out encourages me to go and do sth.

And third, I act when my motivation's still hot :p If I have a brief moment of 'I should be working out right now", there's no waiting around or "I'll do it in 2 secs", I just get up and go.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Workout at home then. its simple, you can do just as good at home than you would working out in a gym. if you aint got no equipment workout using your body. Google home workouts without equipment :smokin: SIMPLE! :drinker:
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Hey. I am one of the old people at the gym.

haha, i don't mean that in a bad way. there's just not a lot of people my age at my gym, so i always feel out of place.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You can always join a gym with people your own age. Look at their class schedule. Try boot camp, kickboxing, zumba, etc.
    Keep track of your workouts and compete against yourself. Think of all the hunky guys/girls.

Best motivation for going to the gym. Do a plank with your shirt off and look down.
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

This! And I am also one of the old people at the gym. Either its important enough for you to go or not. I absolutely hate strength training even though its very important so I do boxing classes at the gym instead. Bring your favorite music and when I'm on cardio equipment I often will read my nook. BUT I put my nook so that I can keep track of my heart rate/ speed so that I'm not sacrificing quality workout while getting engrossed in my book.

you are definitely not what i consider "old"
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    The first step is going.. i was never motivated but took baby steps and my ipod.. once the weight starts coming off and you notice the difference that will help motivate you.. Nowadays I have to make myself NOT go to the gym and give my body a break.

Also see if they have someone who can help you with learn how to use the weights or machine right.. Once you get comfortable going it will be a breeze...
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Don't go if you don't like it there but find something else you like elsewhere and commit to it. There are group classes with community associations or at the gym, dvd, you tube, fit cards, sports, dancing, etc. Don't be afraid to experiment until you find something that fits with you, try many activities at least once, you may be surprised and you will get a nice and varied workout at the same time!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Just go. I know that sounds harsh, but hear me out.

Not long ago at all, I also hated the gym -- I don't love it yet, and I have a LOT of mental hurdles to get over in the weight-lifting section, but I made a deal with myself. I would just make my goal to get up and go to the building. Anything that happened there was gravy.

That way, even if it was a bit of a weak workout, I still felt good about myself, because I went. Mentally, it just worked for me. If I went three times a week, I was pleased as punch, even if I just walked on the treadmill.

Slowly, I starting making ever-so-slightly ambitious goals. Like to get over my fear of having others assess my physical fitness. At my gym there's a free assessment, so one day I went, and just asked them to show me the machines, assess my form and tell me my appropriate lifting weight for each. Then they offered to measure me and weigh me. I was nervous, but I let them. Now that little card is a big motivator! I want to fill it up and have to ask for a second one (to record more cardio in). I want to keep tracking my measurements and watch the numbers shrink.

These days, my goals are to stretch out the duration and intensity of my cardio, and finally get to the point with the weight machines where the amount I lift increases.

In the new year I may spend my Christmas cash on a personal trainer :).

Also, things that REALLY helped me focus and enjoy my time more:

1) A great playlist. I can't stress this enough! Try the Songza app for some inspiration.
    2) Podcasts. Sometimes I find it all engrossing to listen to stories like The Vinyl Cafe or This American Life while I run. By the time the broadcast is finished, I've run far faster and farther than I would have otherwise.

If I only had an FM receiver for my iPhone, I could get audio for the TVs, too.... I think running through some dramatic, distracting hour long show (even something like Dr. Phil) could keep my mind off my desire to leave the machines :).

Edited to add: You could also try swimming instead. Great cardio, and a nice warm pool for the winter!
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time going at first so I understand, you just have to make it into a habit. Start out by making yourself go, not matter what it takes. Try to go as often as possible, tell yourself you will do at least 5 minutes (of course once you are actually there you will do way more). Once it's a normal habit you will just go, you will miss it when you do not.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    1) Find a different activity that you enjoy. You don't have to go to the gym for exercise.
    or
    2) Make it a habit, like brushing your teeth. Brushing teeth isn't exactly fun, but you do it, right? (I hope you do!)

#2 is what I'm working on now. To get there, I pledge to get my gym clothing all rolled up and stacked so that all I have to do is pick up the roll and go. I'm aiming for first thing in the morning. It's such a relief to get that chore out of the way and done with.

I really couldn't tell you much about the people at my gym because I'm pretty much in my own world when I get there. I'm not there for them; I'm there for me.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go to the gym, don't go to the gym. Unless you have a very specific goal in mind, the best exercise is exercise that you will do regularly. Find an exercise that you enjoy and do that. I could never get myself to go to the gym, but I am happy to go to dance classes. Or even to do some exercise videos at home. Try a bunch of things and see what you like (running, videos, yoga, dancing, team sports etc.).
  • caseysexton5
    caseysexton5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
  • caseysexton5
    caseysexton5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This doesn't make it more fun, but when I feel motivation dragging, I make a deal with myself. If I don't go to the gym, I donate $50 to an organization I despise. You could even write the check and put it in an envelope and give it to a friend to send if you don't uphold your end of the bargain.

NOM has yet to get my $50 ;)

hahaha cute idea!!