Naturally thin people who look down/make fun?

Options
This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine that I'm starting to notice. There are a lot of people who are naturally thin or whatever, and eat junk food 24/7 and stay thin regardless. Then there are people like us who have to eat healthy/less and workout to become/remain slim. And I have no problem with that because I feel great eating better and exercising.

HOWEVER, what I can't stand is hearing or seeing those who are "naturally thin" saying stuff like "healthy food sux I eat whatever I want!" or "ew why are you eating a salad, have a cheeseburger" or "yeah I hate the gym lol count me out". Kind of like they're rubbing it in your face that they don't have to watch what they eat or exercise, or they think they're somehow better because of it? Idk it really pisses me off.

Replies

• ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Those attitudes and habits will definitely catch up with them if they haven't already! Also, just because they are thin doesn't mean they are fit or healthy (or happy!). There are plenty of people who are "skinny fat" with plenty of health and fitness deficits!
  • LollipopPsyco
    Options
    This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine that I'm starting to notice. There are a lot of people who are naturally thin or whatever, and eat junk food 24/7 and stay thin regardless. Then there are people like us who have to eat healthy/less and workout to become/remain slim. And I have no problem with that because I feel great eating better and exercising.

HOWEVER, what I can't stand is hearing or seeing those who are "naturally thin" saying stuff like "healthy food sux I eat whatever I want!" or "ew why are you eating a salad, have a cheeseburger" or "yeah I hate the gym lol count me out". Kind of like they're rubbing it in your face that they don't have to watch what they eat or exercise, or they think they're somehow better because of it? Idk it really pisses me off.

Just as many heavy people give thin people crap. Go eat a cheeseburger.....you look like a bag of bones......
    personally I think you are reading to much into and a little jealous that they can eat what they want ect.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

How do you know they are "naturally thin" vs busting their *kitten* to stay in shape, just like as when you hear overweight people tell you oh you must have good genetics as you're chowing down on a donut. Must be genetics, not hard work or self control
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Just as many heavy people give thin people crap. Go eat a cheeseburger.....you look like a bag of bones......
    personally I think you are reading to much into and a little jealous that they can eat what they want ect.
    It doesn't bother me as much with the heavy people because the affects of their mindset are obvious. But with the thin ones, it's like they think they can get away with it.

I'm not jealous, I felt horrible when I used to eat junk all the time. I don't even see how people can do that anymore. But being poked fun at for trying to be healthy & get fit? That would annoy anyone.
  • angiechimpanzee
    Options

How do you know they are "naturally thin" vs busting their *kitten* to stay in shape, just like as when you hear overweight people tell you oh you must have good genetics as you're chowing down on a donut. Must be genetics, not hard work or self control
    I mean if they openly say they eat whatever they want/don't work out then I assume they're telling the truth? I guess they could be lying though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^totally this.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    They could be a TOFI. There is more to health than just being thin
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

It doesn't bother me as much with the heavy people because the affects of their mindset are obvious. But with the thin ones, it's like they think they can get away with it.

I'm not jealous, I felt horrible when I used to eat junk all the time. I don't even see how people can do that anymore. But being poked fun at for trying to be healthy & get fit? That would annoy anyone.

I agree with your last statement - it does get annoying sometimes. But it is so worth it. Ignore those bums and stay strong!!
  • LollipopPsyco
    Options

So its ok for heavy people to have bad mindsets and tear down thin people but not the other way around?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

agreed
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Now that I am in my late 30s, I have come to the conclusion that there aren't too many women older than their early 20s who are naturally thin. People might say they eat whatever they want, but what is it that they want to eat? Tonnes of salad? They might eat a cheeseburger in front of you, but I am dubious about whether they eat junk food the rest of the day. Most of the really skinny women I know don't eat much at all. I also find they won't admit that is the case. I am super skinny now and it takes a fair bit of effort.

There is a fair bit of competitiveness about it. I find it is the really thin women and the overweight ones who say 'you aren't losing more weight are you?'. It is more about them protecting their own position, than you.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

There are also many people who are way more to the right of the bell curve than you are and solve calculus problems in the same time it would take you to add 10+4. Are you going to get ticked off at them for being born with higher IQ?

Some things are really not worth losing emotions over.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Now that I am in my late 30s, I have come to the conclusion that there aren't too many women older than their early 20s who are naturally thin. People might say they eat whatever they want, but what is it that they want to eat? Tonnes of salad? They might eat a cheeseburger in front of you, but I am dubious about whether they eat junk food the rest of the day. Most of the really skinny women I know don't eat much at all. I also find they won't admit that is the case. I am super skinny now and it takes a fair bit of effort.

There is a fair bit of competitiveness about it. I find it is the really thin women and the overweight ones who say 'you aren't losing more weight are you?'. It is more about them protecting their own position, than you.

Yep. I'm in my 40s and have to work hard and really watch what I eat to stay slim. Naturally thin went out the window before I hit my 20s.
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't let it bother me because even though they may be thinner...I"M HEALTHIER. That kind of eating and lack of exercise will catch up with them one day when they develop heart disease, diabetes, high BP, etc....they mistakenly think that THIN equals HEALTHY and it DOESN'T!!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    just ignore it, if they continue to eat like that then eventually it will catch up to them. people tell me all the time to eat a sandwich because i am small framed and bony but i don't let it bother me. just do you and if you feel great eating healthy and not eating junk, then kudos to you and keep it up!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    They may live like that for a while but it'll catch up to them and even if they stay thin...they won't stay healthy. They can get heart disease and cancer eating the way they do just the same as someone who isn't naturally thin. I wouldn't let it bother you.

My pet peeve is people eating 500 calories a day b/c they're overweight and looking at me like I have three heads b/c I eat 1200-1350 calories...healthy food. B/C I don't know what it's like to be fat.....only if you just met me, you don't know what I've been through and what it took to get me where I'm at.....

just saying
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Now that I am a lot closer to 50 than I ever thought I'd be, I find it sooo much easier to tolerate people who would have annoyed me in my twenties. It's just not worth the bother. Let them live their lives... you go ahead and live yours to the best of your ability!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I used to be someone who was naturally thin and would say those kinds of things. I wasn't trying to make fun or be rude. I just genuinely didn't understand why people would only have a salad for lunch and hated working out! Now that I've gotten older and my metabolism has changed, I realize that some people (myself included) have to watch it and work out regularly if they want to stay slim. I never used to have to try, so I just didn't understand.

So in sum, I don't think they're trying to be rude, they just don't get it.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Just tell them you eat & do whatever you want, too, and this is what you want. I can understand a bit why you're annoyed, but if they're trying to annoy you, you're just giving them what they want. So, keep doing what you do, feel good about you, and let go of it. Frankly, I wouldn't even waste time telling myself what diseases they're going to get. You don't really want that for them; make yourself feel better by focusing on YOU. :)
  • angiechimpanzee
    Options
    I used to be someone who was naturally thin and would say those kinds of things. I wasn't trying to make fun or be rude. I just genuinely didn't understand why people would only have a salad for lunch and hated working out! Now that I've gotten older and my metabolism has changed, I realize that some people (myself included) have to watch it and work out regularly if they want to stay slim. I never used to have to try, so I just didn't understand.

So in sum, I don't think they're trying to be rude, they just don't get it.
    Yeah I guess this is true.