Looking for a good ab workout.

Options
Hello everyone! I'm looking to add a good abdominal workout along with my running. I'm currently preparing for my second 5k and I have mostly been running. I still have a bit of fat to lose, but I would love to start working on building my abdominal muscles.

I own and have used the Jillian Michaels' videos, but I'm just looking to add some key moves before/after I run to build these muscles. Recently I've been doing:

Pushups
Plank hold
Bicycle crunches
Bringing right arm and left leg up and together with a weight
Side crunch

What are some abdominal moves that you use and like? I need more!

Replies

• chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Russian Twists.
    Sit in a C-sit positing and rotate slow and controlled side to side. I like to use a medicine ball to touch back by my butt for extra work.

Or sit in the c-sit position and put your arms above your head. Bring your knees up and arms down to meet each other. Switch it up and do one leg at a time too.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Seriously. I did planks, crunches, etc. Nothing is working like compound lifts. Check out Stronglifts 5X5. You won't be sorry.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have lifted heavy in the past, and loved it. But I haven't had the opportunity again and don't have money for access to where I could. I REALLY want to though, and when I have the money after the New Year, this is what I plan to do.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Russian Twists.
    Sit in a C-sit positing and rotate slow and controlled side to side. I like to use a medicine ball to touch back by my butt for extra work.

Yup. Those you will feel. I did those Thursday and still feel it
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Hanging leg raises are pretty much the best movement you can do, if you want to target abs specifically. Hold a weight between your feet if you need to add resistance (or attach it with a strap or rope or whatever). You have to go above 90 degrees to properly engage the abs.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hanging leg raises are pretty much the best movement you can do, if you want to target abs specifically. Hold a weight between your feet if you need to add resistance (or attach it with a strap or rope or whatever). You have to go above 90 degrees to properly engage the abs.

^This. Beat me to it!

Another one I like, if you have a partner, is leg throws. You lay on the ground, legs straight up in the air, feet together with your hands holding your partner's ankles right behind your head.. Your partner throws your feet down towards the ground, straight and at varying angles to the sides. You use your abs to stop your feet without hitting the ground. It's a dynamic exercise that hovers between fun and torture.
  • dj8052
    dj8052 Posts: 15
    Options
    All these above are great exercises. Once I developed my core, I hit abs 3x a week for 30 mins. Here a sample of what you can do with awesome results:

3 sets of 45 secs planks
    3 sets of 15 kettlebell swings (no weight less than 10lbs or wasting your time)
    3 sets of 20 oblique side dumbbell lifts (15-30lb. 1 dumbbell)
    3 sets of 30 oblique dumbbell twist ( hold weight with both hands in front of you close to core and twist 90degrees)
    3 sets of 15 of woodchoppers (hold kettlebell to one side and lift up while throwing in front of you to opposite side and back down)
    3 sets of 15 bent-leg raises on pull up bar (great core lift movement)

You should be sweating quite alot after this, if not, add weight or adjust time under tension or rest intervals.