MFP VS Sparkd people

Options
A friend of mine is going on Sparks people and I swear by MFP....anyone here experienced both wanna share their experience?

Replies

• bajangrl29
    bajangrl29 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I felt lost on Spark people b/c it is so busy but it is a great group. I love their recipe section which also provides great healthy easy meals with nutritional input from members. I always go there to use their recipe maker which creates personal recipes and gives you the breakdown for any servings..Love that feature!

Michelle
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have. I used sparkpeople first. My sister told me about this site and I like it a lot better. The biggest thing I've noticed is that food database is bigger. Plus, I really hated the spark points system. I found myself focusing more on trying to get more stupid, worthless sparkpoints instead of losing weight. Don't get me wrong, sparkpeople is a good website. I still go look at articles and I use the recipe calculator all the time. I just like this site better.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I mainly use Spark for the recipe calculator and the workout videos... the message boards feel way too impersonal, somehow, and I don't like how most of the site is set up.
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    I tried sparkpeople aswell and found it helpful for other things besides keeping track of what I ate. When i switched to MFP I lost 22 pounds when I did the other site I didn't have any luck. I do check out the recipes and articles. It was very busy for me and sometimes hard to use.
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    I think Sparkpeople's website has way to much going on. I think it looks unorganized and is hard to navigate. They gave me a range of 1200-1500 cals a day. Knowing me i probably would have pushed it to 1500 everyday. I dont think i would be too successful losing weight at that many cals everyday. I find MFP easier to use and they have a huge food database.
  • hollyindallas
    hollyindallas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi. Used Sparkpeople for just under a year. Messy site. I liked the team idea EXCEPT there wasn't any support on the teams for weight loss. I mean, it's a weight loss support site, right? I've been on MFP just about a week and so far the info I'm gathering beats up SP all over the place.
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    If MFP had a recipe calculator feature I would never go to Sparks. Sometimes it is hard to get the nutritional breakdown because their database is so small, so then I input all the ingredients here and save the meal and use the content that way.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I was actually on MFP first, then someone told me about SparkPeople and for awhile I did both. But I ended up doing SparkPeople most of the time and just visiting here occasionally.
    There is nothing 'wrong' with either site, just whatever you want to take the time to get used to. Once you get familiar with SparkPeople, it is a great Community.