What about total carbs and sugar?

Options
i noticed something today. I have been doing well with my calorie counting but my carbs and sugar are mostly waaay over the daily allowance. Can anyone say if this may contribute to the slow weight loss that I was experiencing?

Replies

• totallyforgiven
    totallyforgiven Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, carbs turn to sugar and sugar can cause you to not lose weight. It does get kind of tricky to learn how to eat and keep everything in check, but it can be done, I am not perfect at it yet, but my wife, is really good at it, when it gets supper time, she will experiment with her food log and see what she needs to eat, to have everything in check or as in check as humanly possible.:wink:
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    Yes, carbs turn to sugar and sugar can cause you to not lose weight. It does get kind of tricky to learn how to eat and keep everything in check, but it can be done, I am not perfect at it yet, but my wife, is really good at it, when it gets supper time, she will experiment with her food log and see what she needs to eat, to have everything in check or as in check as humanly possible.:wink:

carbs do not "turn into sugar", nor can sugar in itself cause you not to lose weight.

any sugar source (fructose=fruit, lactose=milk-based, sucrose=plant-based hybride of glucose and fructose, etc) is a carbohydrate and carbohydrates are critical for the metabolic proccesses. there are simple carbohydrates (most 'sugars') and complex carbohydrates (most 'starches') and each plays a role in what they add to the metabolic process. MFP only tracks carbs in whole, they do not break them down. If that is something that your routine needs to track, you need to know your carb sources.
    As far as one substance causing you not to lose weight, that in itself is untrue without a qualifier. a nutritional plan based on complex carbohydrates and protein is effective, but only when their intake, in whatever percentages, are below your BMR.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb (very low carb for a while, ketogenic, etc) and, in my experience, the biggest factor for me losing weight is the calorie count in/out balance.

I've argued the points against this on here and tried to find some kind of *significant* metabolic advantage in keeping the carbs low but in all honesty I can't.

I do find that the more processed carbs are "trigger foods" for me though so make maintaining a deficit more difficult ... If in doubt I reach for a decent protein source now rather than, say, pasta/bread for it's more satiating effect.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It's possible. I don't tolerate sugar well. Personally I don't do well with very low or very high carbs. I feel and lose better when I keep my carbs around 75g to 100g at most.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb (very low carb for a while, ketogenic, etc) and, in my experience, the biggest factor for me losing weight is the calorie count in/out balance.

I've argued the points against this on here and tried to find some kind of *significant* metabolic advantage in keeping the carbs low but in all honesty I can't.

I do find that the more processed carbs are "trigger foods" for me though so make maintaining a deficit more difficult ... If in doubt I reach for a decent protein source now rather than, say, pasta/bread for it's more satiating effect.

Aye, ^this. It isn't so much that higher carb alone affects your weight loss (because it very likely doesn't), it's what higher carb does to your ability to stay on plan. I'm fine with cravings when I keep my carbs lowish, but when I have some candy around Halloween, I eat candy every night for weeks and then call my wife and ask her to pick up some Breyer's ice cream while she's at the store today...

Er, I mean, hypothetically speaking, of course.

*ahem*
  • king_walnut
    Options

carbs do not "turn into sugar", nor can sugar in itself cause you not to lose weight.

any sugar source (fructose=fruit, lactose=milk-based, sucrose=plant-based hybride of glucose and fructose, etc) is a carbohydrate and carbohydrates are critical for the metabolic proccesses. there are simple carbohydrates (most 'sugars') and complex carbohydrates (most 'starches') and each plays a role in what they add to the metabolic process. MFP only tracks carbs in whole, they do not break them down. If that is something that your routine needs to track, you need to know your carb sources.
    As far as one substance causing you not to lose weight, that in itself is untrue without a qualifier. a nutritional plan based on complex carbohydrates and protein is effective, but only when their intake, in whatever percentages, are below your BMR.

Would love to know where you get your information from because everything you said here is wrong.
  • AncientLullaby_
    Options
    As long as u are eating healthy sugar and carbs i.e from fruits and complex carbs such as oat meal, brown rice, brown bread, it doesnt matter! carbs = energy nothing else.
  • Cathleenr
    Options

Would love to know where you get your information from because everything you said here is wrong.

gladly:
    http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/yrdd/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3491004/
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/food_myths/HFCS_is_Fattening.php (its an alan aragon article, published in men's health)
    http://www.fao.org/docrep/MEETING/004/M2845E/M2845E00.HTM
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006/METHOD=print

not sure what you are referring to when you say "everything" is incorrect. its basic nutrition.
  • jaaayyxo
    jaaayyxo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the science part of it, BUT...

I ALWAYS struggled coming under my calorie goal when I just focused on calories. Now that I've switched to focusing on my carbs number, I rarely go over my calorie goal! Yay!