Can anyone recommend Kettlebells?

Options
I've heard good reviews about Kettlebell workouts and I am kind've tempted to have a go, but I'm not sure what I could expect from it.

I've heard you get a good cardio, but I can't see how you could if your feet are rooted to the spot and you are just swinging your upper body around. I've heard you get a good strength workout, but I can't see that either as the weight spends most of its time in a weightless swing before you catch up with it at the top of the swing and start the next one.

But I've read reports from folks who have seen improvements in both cardio and strength and have seen a reduction in bodyfat as a bonus. Myth?

Why it appeals to me - I like unconventional ways to work out. I like to climb ropes, hoola hoop, clean and press barrels and sandbags, swing from bars and find weird ways to do push-ups and it goes well with my love of yoga. I like green gyms and all that stuff. I know - I'm weird - but I'm (usually) happy.

I'd like to hear anything - good or bad, before I waste my money on a 16K kettlebell. :drinker:

(edit: spelling)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you can do all types of things with kettle bells, not just swings. i really dont get how people think that's the only workout you can do..

i do presses, jerks, turkish get ups one armed deadlifts .
    there's nothing inherently fat burning in kettlebells since the same moves you do with them can also be done with dummbells as vice versa. the main difference is where the center of gravity lies which can change the exercise just a bit.

for instance i can do swings with a 16k kettle, a 35 pound weight plate and a 35 pound dumbbell and they all feel a little bit different because of how i'm holding the weight, but i am moving almost the same amount of weight
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Core strength and balance is important to me as well, so I'm thinking kettlebell would be an ideal addition to my training. Thanks meshashesha.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion for the kettlebells is not to hit yourself in the face with it. Otherwise, it's a weight with a handle on it for easier usage. There are plenty of sites with suggestions for specific workouts for cardio or strength training or both, depending on how you use it.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    My only suggestion for the kettlebells is not to hit yourself in the face with it. Otherwise, it's a weight with a handle on it for easier usage. There are plenty of sites with suggestions for specific workouts for cardio or strength training or both, depending on how you use it.
    Past experience?
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There are few exercise that will burn more calories than working out with kettlebells:
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast

I think you're misconception about the benefits is probably being driven by using, or thinking about using, too light a weight. Done properly, you will extensively use your legs to drive a kettlebell swing. Here's a simple test for you: If you can take the kettlebell and lift it out straight in front of you, it's too light. You need a bell you can't lift that way so you HAVE to recruit your legs and core to keep the swing going. In addition, as another poster stated, there are lots of other kettlebell exercises. Turkish Get-Ups, the Clean & Press, and Snatches, are all awesome kettlebell exercises.

FYI, Pavel Tsatsouline, the father of the American kettlebell movement, recommends beginner women start with an 18 lb bell and men start with a 35 lb bell.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    My wife uses them consistently (not for weight loss) and has improved her strength and tone amazingly. I use them also, but not as much as I should. One big plus is that they fit in the living room without having am intrusive set of weights.

I can get a very fast cardio uplift with 30 swings and done properly that will work out the core and thighs.

Advise you get a trainer to start with, you can easily injure yourself pulling a muscle from using the wrong style - apart from the obvious hitting yourself between the legs.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    OK thanks. I couldn't hold 15K out in front of me so that 16K I'm looking at would be about right. I'm taking a shine to this idea.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Make sure your form is correct - otherwise you can injure your back - Angie Miller had a good dvd series that explains form really well....
    And before you say again you can't see the cardio or strengh benefits, go play with one - I can guarantee you you WILL get the best possible workout in a short time.....
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Make sure your form is correct - otherwise you can injure your back - Angie Miller had a good dvd series that explains form really well....
    And before you say again you can't see the cardio or strengh benefits, go play with one - I can guarantee you you WILL get the best possible workout in a short time.....

Thank you astrampe - I think I have to rise to that challenge to go and play with one and I'll let you know what I find. Thank you!
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    You can get a very good workout with kettlebells. It combines weight and cardio. I have a DVD called Kettle Worx and it is pretty good. There are others as well.
  • kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes, as most everyone has previously said, Kettlebells are a good investment in your workout routine. They're definitely worth the money. It's a surefire way to feel sore the next day if you have a heavy enough weight and are executing the moves correctly. For a workout that burns a good load of calories and is a combination of both aerobic and strength training, what's not to love??
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    LOL, I'll remember! It shaped my butt and waist like nothing ever did (before I started lifting heavy), and I still do it now instead of running if the soggy Vancouver weather gets on my nerves.... I have a set of kettlebells (15, 20 and 25lbs ) on my Christmas list, together with a new set of dvd's....(Hope Santa's back is strong - it's a 60lbs set in one box! :bigsmile: I will have two 15lbs then, but I can easily use them like dumbells for others stuff too...

Don't get hung up on starting too heavy - Angie Miller's dvd has a few exercises where you hold the kettlebell in one hand while doing lunges or whatnot - I started with 10lbs for the one armed stuff - do it with 15 now, but it took me a while...
    Have fun, I both love and hate kettlebells with a passion!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Here's a resource for you:
    http://www.dragondoor.com/shop-by-department/dvds/

I would not recommend their kettlebells unless you just like spending too much. They're nice bells, but are overpriced. That said, it's hard to go wrong with any of their DVD's or books.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Forget kettlebells. Can we talk about some yoga? I find the transition from pincha mayurasana to pidgeon to be infinitely more satisfying that swinging a kettlebell. plus bodyweight workouts are awesome
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I'd recommend either yoga or Insanity over kettlebells.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    If you want great cardio, I'd recommend Insanity.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises are great for weightloss. So I recommend yoga.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are a great and very safe form of exercise when done properly. Because it's no impact, like weight training, there's no risk to your knees like with Insanity or anything else that's high impact. It's a great form of resistance training and cardio. You should also look into sandbag training. Similar, but IMO more fun. For kettlebell resources, the best video set I can recommend is Skogg System.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Are kettlebells OK for vegetarians?

Or paleo? I'm on the fence between the two.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Forget kettlebells. Can we talk about some yoga? I find the transition from pincha mayurasana to pidgeon to be infinitely more satisfying that swinging a kettlebell. plus bodyweight workouts are awesome

Now Peacock Feather pose to Pigeon is something I would like to see and if I could do it - yes it would be infintely more satisfying than anything I can imagine - including bodyweight workouts.